No announcement yet.

Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly's Heros. Yeah I loved that junk mate. Great music too. HAHAHA!
    The Eagle has landed. I was only watching it this week.
    Michael Caine. Robert Duval. In fact Robert Duval is my favourite actor.

I have remembered another classic that should not be left out of any list.
    " Battle of Britain". Great in every way.
    And Shindler's List.
    And the Dam Busters.

And what was the name of that terrific movie with Clint Eastwood, when they parachuted in to that castle in the German Alps from a Ju 52?
    Great.
    'Where Eagles Dare"......Yes

Comment

Originally posted by 101st Airborne View Post
      Kelly's Heros. Yeah I loved that junk mate. Great music too. HAHAHA!
      The Eagle has landed. I was only watching it this week.
      Michael Caine. Robert Duval. In fact Robert Duval is my favourite actor.

I have remembered another classic that should not be left out of any list.
      " Battle of Britain". Great in every way.
      And Shindler's List.
      And the Dam Busters.

And what was the name of that terrific movie with Clint Eastwood, when they parachuted in to that castle in the German Alps from a Ju 52?
      Great.
      Complete with a Bell 47 ....... which as things go, wasn't too far out of place. Actually, one of my intel profs noted the realism of that movie, Eagles, when Richard Burton says he's with some service when a German soldier walks in ... and departs instantly, because no one wanted to get on that service's bad side. I don't remember the exact line or the service mentioned, though.

The book wasn't bad, either (Alistair MacClean).

I caught part of Battle of Britain on TCM this weekend and while movie creditbility is always debatable, I have to wonder .......... did Goring ever have any leadership creditbility?
      --------------------------------------------------
      ("Do me a favor, will you? Next time you have one of these things, keep it an all-British operation."--Lt. Schaffer, (wtte), "Where Eagles Dare")

Comment

Great.
        More than just a war movie but I suspect the fact Eastwood was in it (at the same time as his Dirty Harry movies) means people won't take it seriously as a war movie.

Originally posted by Snow Leopard
        when Richard Burton says he's with some service when a German soldier walks in ... and departs instantly, because no one wanted to get on that service's bad side.
        I remember that too and was impressed - now I'll have to root around my DVD collection to stop wondering what the answer was....

Comment

Ah yes. Enemy at the Gates. I forgot it. In fact I shouldn't have. I liked it very much and I guess you might have some reason of your own Xerxes to say that. It was in fact a marvelous movie and showed it like it was.
          I dont like "Enemy at the Gates", because it represents a hollywoodish way of making a war movie. Whereas the SavingPrivateRyan/BandsofBrothers/FlagsofOurFather/LettersFromIwoJima are movies that have meaning and that represent evil to be the demon inside onself, rather than typical random Nazi as presented in "Enemy at the Gates". If you notice Enemy at the Gates had a main villian character, the Nazi colonel sniper. That is also a concept that I hate in war movie, and it turns it into a James Bondish type of flick. Preal Harbour, I despised because it made the Japanese look really bad, and I hate movies that represent one group of people as bad. Just for your information, I would have the same opinion should the Japanese make a movie about the fire-bombing of Tokyo in 1945, where close to 250,000 died, and show graphically how the flesh truned into flame and smoke. These kind of movies are unnessacery. I consider, Preal Harbour to be an unworthy propoganda movie.

I think Platoon should be added, another great movie, is Mel Gibson's "When we were soldeires and Young". I loved it. Another one is Apocalypse Now, Full Medal Jacket.

Ofcourse, there are those classic encyclopedic war movies like: The Longest Day, Tora tora tora, Battle of Britian, patton, macarthur, a bridge too far ... and many others.

Comment

Come on, how can you not like Enemy at the Gates? It has the hottest sniper and public sex scene in the barracks. It had to be the most erotic scene of any war movie....uh...or so I've heard....
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I wrote this a long time ago, and I still think it's my favorite:

I know it's the complete opposite of what the thread was about, but I thought one of the very BEST movies to portray the military - especially LEADERSHIP AND COMMAND - was 12 O'Clock High.

Brian Donlevy's acting as the two-star general is not-so-hotso (he was REALLY 'old school', so I give him a pass), but Gregory Peck, the guy that played the XO, Major Cobb, and Lt. Zimmermann were a credit to their craft.

It has been a required feature at Air Force professional military education courses for many years, and rightly so. It shows what it means to be in command, to LEAD, instead of just doing your job. It actually made me see what the word meant, and if you look behind the storyline, the acting, the combat scenes and the 'movie' aspects, there is real value there.

Can't say more for a military movie than this: it was a realistic portrayal of what the military is like, and it inspires military people to become better leaders. QED.
              I like it so much, I actually bought it this weekend, down in Key West.

Comment

I've always been partial to A Bridge Too Far, myself. A lot of the others, I like, but that one edges into my favorite. It's got everything I like in a war movie.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Come on, how can you not like Enemy at the Gates? It has the hottest sniper and public sex scene in the barracks. It had to be the most erotic scene of any war movie....uh...or so I've heard....
                  I actually rather liked Enemy at the Gates, but then again, I am both a fan of Ed Harris and got a thing for snipers, the deadly reputation of the craft.

Public sex scene in the barracks? I don't quite recall that which all goes to show, either my mind was elsewhere or with so much of it in the movies, another just becomes like wallpaper.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  (There were always beautiful women wanting to break into the film business and equally beautiful women wanting to stay in the film business, but after a while and with the constant parade, Paul Foster found them as outstanding as the floral pattern of wall paper. (description of SHADO's Colonel Foster's film cover), (w,stte), Book: UFO-1 by Robert Miall)

Comment

[QUOTE= Pearl Harbour, I despised because it made the Japanese look really bad, [/QUOTE]

Made them look really bad?
                    I have some news that might interest you. From an Australian perspective, they were 'really bad". You might get that view around China too.

If Paul Tibbets hadn't been chosen to nuke them and I was around then, I would have asked if I could have done it.

Comment

Yeah Ed Harris did a great job in that part.
                      Public sex scene Gun nut? I saw some movement and grunting under a great coat. Was that it?

Comment

^^

Allright, mr 101, i dont want to derail this thread about my pro/anti-Japanese views. But lets say I am against a movie that is alienate a whole people and society. and I did say the samething in regard of a Japanese movie based on American burning kids, old man and women in the paper-cities of Japan by firebombing.

Why i dont like these kind of movie, because there are watched by millions of people who are easilly influenced by them. As far as nuking cities around for the hell of it. I would rather die than to be responbile for the death of 100,000s of people. But thats just me. Sometimes, I feel human race deserve to die as a whole.

Comment

Yeah, well any movie they like to make that keeps reminding the next generation of what the Japs did is OK by me.
                          In Australia we don't want them to forget.
                          Now if you will excuse me, it's August 1945 and I've got a B29 waiting with it's engines idling.

Comment

I suppose I might think differently if I actually saw the movie, but I can't understand what all the excitement about "Pearl Harbor" is. I mean, we know how the movie is suppose to go, in the big picture, right? From the description, it sounds like another version of "Pearl" (Dennis Weaver, Robert Wagner, Leslie Anne Warren, Angie Dickenson). If anything would draw me in to watch this movie, it would be to see pictures of the Cold War fleets in mothballs (only if you have pause).
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            ("I hear in this picture, the sinkng of the ship is quite realistic."--adult couple in line for "Titanic"
                            "Awwww, thanks! Go ahead and ruin the picture for us!"--kids behind them in line, (w,stte), editorial cartoon of the time)

Comment

You haven't seen Pearl Harbour Snowleopard? Get the DVD out and see it.
                              Come back and tell us what you think tomorrow.

12 Oclock High. Yes I loved the start when the adjutant rode to the weed infested strip on his bicycle and remembered.

A Bridge too Far. I am glad that there are such people in the world that go to all this effort so that I can sit in my home theatre and look at such marvels. Give thanks for modern cinema my friends.

Comment

Yeah, well any movie they like to make that keeps reminding the next generation of what the Japs did is OK by me.
                                In Australia we don't want them to forget.
                                yes, 101. I agree, the next generation should learn and know. But not by biased movies (generally-speaking), rather by reading and reading and reading.

Now if you will excuse me, it's August 1945 and I've got a B29 waiting with it's engines idling.
                                Indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X