New Sink the Bismarck Movie may be reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960 Version ....

Netflix delivered tonight's entertainment, the 1960 version of the Bismarck.
    I had not viewed the movie in several years and its been several more years since reading the book.
    However it was noted from the recent discussion on this thread that certain Hollywood liberties were taken in the production of the movie.
    Far from being a historian on the battle I hope the new release is more closely researched before production begins...... :confu:

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
      Netflix delivered tonight's entertainment, the 1960 version of the Bismarck.
      I had not viewed the movie in several years and its been several more years since reading the book.
      However it was noted from the recent discussion on this thread that certain Hollywood liberties were taken in the production of the movie.
      Far from being a historian on the battle I hope the new release is more closely researched before production begins...... :confu:
      Generally, when watching that first version of the movie, we weren't too impressed with the model ships. But we would watch it over again. And again.

Well, any movie with Dana Wynter in it is worth watching.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

My big fear is that given the choice between historical accuracy (think Tora Tora Tora) and 'colour' (think Pearl Harbour ) Hollywood will always forgo accuracy for dramatic/romantic effect.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

and the good Captain Shepherd ......

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Generally, when watching that first version of the movie, we weren't too impressed with the model ships. But we would watch it over again. And again.

Well, any movie with Dana Wynter in it is worth watching.
          Note the Captain got the girl at the end of the movie, too!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            My big fear is that given the choice between historical accuracy (think Tora Tora Tora) and 'colour' (think Pearl Harbour ) Hollywood will always forgo accuracy for dramatic/romantic effect.
            I do hope you washed your mouth out with soap after having mentioned that abortion!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
              Note the Captain got the girl at the end of the movie, too!
              Yes. Yes, we do! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                I think most non military people consider frigates/destroyers/cruisers as battleships because they "go into battle"?? Hell the other day we were looking at my girlfriend's grandfather's medals and some old zippos of some of the ships he was on (which were very cool btw) and his wife (now widow) said "Yea the USS Connole was the last battleship he was on" :slap:. Her brother said something similar but he never cared about Bob's career anyways.

Anywho CGI is great but having a real baseline model is much better. Look at how real the original Jurassic Park is compared to the 3rd where alot more cgi was used. I like TopHatter's idea though it would make the movie look so much better but we'll see I guess.
                well, take a look at the movie Pearl Harbor, where part of it is filmed using the ships in the moth ball fleet in the West Loch, and other's filmed with I believe CGI. Being a Sailor with over 20 years experience in the Navy, and 13 years on ship, it ruins it for me, seeing 70's and 80's era ships being filmed as if they were pre WW2 ships..

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                  well, take a look at the movie Pearl Harbor, where part of it is filmed using the ships in the moth ball fleet in the West Loch, and other's filmed with I believe CGI. Being a Sailor with over 20 years experience in the Navy, and 13 years on ship, it ruins it for me, seeing 70's and 80's era ships being filmed as if they were pre WW2 ships..
                  Same thing in the TV mini-series "Winds of War" where Knox class Frigates are being "bombed" in Port Hueneme, California. The only part of the movie "Pearl Harbor" that was real was the B-17 that collapsed its landing gear and belly landed. It wasn't supposed to but it actually happened to one of the vintage planes used so the scene was kept in the movie.

But Hollywierd can be very cruel at times. In John Wayne's movie "The Horse Soldiers", one of the stunt men was to fall off his horse as if he was shot. Unfortunately he was getting a bit too old for stunt work and actually broke his neck and died right in front of the camera. The scene was kept in the movie.

Cornell Wilde also produced a movie made in Mexico and one of the Mexican SCUBA divers (doubling for another character) had his stomach ripped out by a shark. The photos were printed in "LIFE" magazine and the scene was kept in the movie.

Comment

Hopefully its full Hollywood and a squadron of F-15 fly in to save the Brits and sink the Nazi ship

Commander of the Hood blown up while drinking tea and eating jellied eel.

Captain of the Prince of Wales: "no matter old bean, the Hood has just sustained a flesh wound"

Comment

I just hope that this new movie will show the cold-blooded heartlessness of the British Admiral calling off the fleet from rescuing Bismarck's survivors because he thought he saw a periscope of a U-boat. Probably just a broom stick floating away. No U-boat commander would even THINK of attacking a fleet of ships that were in the process of RESCUING German sailors. Supposedly each U-boat had a Gestapo agent on board to take command if his party politics authorized it. But, he wasn't a sailor or a submariner. Submarines were small and crowded. Very easy to hit your head on the upper frame of a door (simulated by a crescent wrench).

True sailors and true airmen highly respected each other no matter what side they were on. Take the case of a B-17 bomber that was so shot up it barely stayed in the air and the pilot was going in the wrong direction AWAY from England. The pilot of a BF-109 Messerschmidt came alongside and signaled the bomber which direction to go and after the cliffs of Dover were in sight the German peeled off and merely reported he shot the bomber down over the English Channel.

Amazingly, years later, BOTH of those pilots personally met each other at some sort of military reunion.

Comment

Laconia incident

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                          True sailors and true airmen highly respected each other no matter what side they were on. Take the case of a B-17 bomber that was so shot up it barely stayed in the air and the pilot was going in the wrong direction AWAY from England. The pilot of a BF-109 Messerschmidt came alongside and signaled the bomber which direction to go and after the cliffs of Dover were in sight the German peeled off and merely reported he shot the bomber down over the English Channel.

Amazingly, years later, BOTH of those pilots personally met each other at some sort of military reunion.
                          https://youtu.be/_8EkmyoG83Q

Comment

My neighbor a few doors down was on the Salem when they made that movie. He has some good stories about his time on the ship.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ba...ate_%28film%29

Comment

Working...
                              X