Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three burglars entered an Oklahoma home. The owner’s son opened fire with an AR-15, d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three burglars entered an Oklahoma home. The owner’s son opened fire with an AR-15, d

Three burglars entered an Oklahoma home. The owner’s son opened fire with an AR-15, deputies say.

By Ben Guarino
    March 28 

Homeowner's son shoots, kills three intruders

Gunfire rang out Monday afternoon in a home in Broken Arrow, an Oklahoma city 15 miles southeast of Tulsa. Three intruders were killed after the son of the homeowner fired a semiautomatic rifle in what local law enforcement officers later described as an act of self-defense, though their investigation remains open.

The intruders — a 16-year-old, a 17-year-old and a man thought to be 18 or 19 — had smashed open the back door of the house, the Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement posted to Facebook. Their plan was burglary, authorities said.

They wore gloves, masks and all-black clothes, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney told Tulsa World. Two of the teenagers were armed, one with a knife and the other with brass knuckles.

The trio reportedly exchanged words with the 23-year-old son of the homeowner, whose name has also not been released. He fired on them with an AR-15, a popular semiautomatic rifle, officials told Fox 23.

The shots seemed to shatter the day like a thunderstorm, one neighbor told CBS affiliate KOTV-TV.

“Upon making entry to the home one of the residents fired a rifle striking all three of the suspects,” the sheriff’s office statement said.

Two of the intruders died inside the kitchen. The other “was able to run to the driveway before succumbing to his injuries,” the statement said.

The homeowner and his son gave formal statements at the sheriff’s office.

Authorities later said the suspected getaway driver, Elizabeth Rodriguez, turned herself in at the Broken Arrow Police Department, the Tulsa World reported. The 21-year-old was arrested on complaints of first degree murder, three counts, as well as three counts of burglary. “A person who is committing a felony when a death occurs can be charged with felony murder,” Tulsa World explained.

Several nearby homes had been burglarized in recent weeks, neighbor Leon Simmons told KOTV-TV. Authorities said they could not speculate as to whether this incident was related to the others.

The sheriff’s deputy described the shooting as an abnormal occurrence in the typically quiet Wagoner County. “This is very, very unusual for us. It’s not something we’re used to,” he told Tulsa World. “It’s not something we normally have.”

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the 21-year-old had been charged with three counts of murder and burglary. She was arrested on complaints of those counts but has not yet been charged.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...21b5e#comments
    Last edited by TopHatter; 11 Apr 17,, 16:41.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

That's what they get! That's the way it should always shake out.

Comment

“A person who is committing a felony when a death occurs can be charged with felony murder,” Tulsa World explained.
      ... felony murder?

Oh wait, common law. And one particular rule abandoned everywhere on this planet where common law still applies save for a couple dozen US states. Quaint.

Comment

Perfectly understandable. We had various guns in the house in Tx. I wouldn't have blinked for one second!

Comment

Leaving aside the time line and dynamics of the actual confrontation I'm not sure an AR-15 would be my first choice of firearms when confronting intruders in my own home in a typical suburban neighborhood. The confrontation is at close range and all those .223 rounds have to go somewhere after being fired, even the ones that hit the target. I would hate to be the neighbor across the road sitting in front of the TV sipping a cold beer when 5 or 6 rounds of high velocity FMJ go traipsing through my front window on their way to parts distant. Out in the sticks not so much a problem (much less chance of collateral damage) but in the burbs?

Maybe a good pistol or shotgun would be in order.
          Last edited by Monash; 30 Mar 17,, 12:45.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            Leaving aside the time line and dynamics of the actual confrontation I'm not sure an AR-15 would be my first choice of firearms when confronting intruders in my own home in a typical suburban neighborhood. The confrontation is at close range and all those .223 rounds have to go somewhere after being fired, even the ones that hit the target. I would hate to be the neighbor across the road sitting in front of the TV sipping a cold beer when 5 or 6 rounds high velocity FMJ go traipsing through my front window on their way to parts distant. Out in the sticks not so much a problem (much less chance of collateral damage) but in the burbs?

But you ain't a 23 y/o redneck.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

AR-15 is the Republican Prius
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Leaving aside the time line and dynamics of the actual confrontation I'm not sure an AR-15 would be my first choice of firearms when confronting intruders in my own home in a typical suburban neighborhood. The confrontation is at close range and all those .223 rounds have to go somewhere after being fired, even the ones that hit the target. I would hate to be the neighbor across the road sitting in front of the TV sipping a cold beer when 5 or 6 rounds of high velocity FMJ go traipsing through my front window on their way to parts distant. Out in the sticks not so much a problem (much less chance of collateral damage) but in the burbs?

Surprisingly enough, .223 is actually one of the best candidates for home defense use while avoiding over penetration. Some empirical testing actually shows that pistol rounds and buckshot will easily penetrate multiple sets of drywall, while .223 largely doesn't. It seems that the .223's combination of high speed and low weight likes to fragment and tumble after the first wall, while heavy slower rounds stay together as a cohesive penetrator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1470684
                Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 31 Mar 17,, 20:51.

Comment

I've seen gun crime in TX and ARK first hand..its not UK scenario stuff! The burglar is armed and you're going to be full of lead if you don't put him down first....So quit tryin to sound cool and protect your family! (Muppet)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                    I've seen gun crime in TX and ARK first hand..its not UK scenario stuff! The burglar is armed and you're going to be full of lead if you don't put him down first....So quit trying to sound cool and protect your family! (Muppet)
                    1) I'm not in the UK.
                    2) I was not 'trying to sound cool' but rather commenting on the choice of weapon concerned .
                    3) As part of the my training in as a LEA I've qualified with several types of hand gun and long arm.
                    4) During my career I've also executed both armed maritime boarding ops and 'hard entry' search warrants so I believe I can claim a (limited) degree of knowledge on the topic under discussion. Certainly not as much as some of the other more senior forum members here but some.
                    5) Want to repeat the 'muppet' comment?

In view of the above and not withstanding Steve's very useful info on the ballistic characteristics of various .223 caliber rounds I stand by my comments relating to the tactical utility of assault rifles in the particular scenario being discussed. My key concern being the extended range of the weapon concerned. Yes, depending on the type of round and the physical properties of the object being struck .223 rounds can and will deform rapidly but the point is they are still potentially lethal out to several hundred meters - as they are designed to be. In the scenario being discussed including the potentially confined engagement space a pistol would have been, IMO the better option.
                    Last edited by Monash; 01 Apr 17,, 09:45.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

1) I'm not in the UK.
                      2) I was not 'trying to sound cool' but rather commenting on the choice of weapon concerned .
                      3) As part of the my training in as a LEA I've qualified with several types of hand gun and long arm.
                      4) During my career I've also executed both armed maritime boarding ops and 'hard entry' search warrants so I believe I can claim a (limited) degree of knowledge on the topic under discussion. Certainly not as much as some of the other more senior forum members here but some.
                      5) Want to repeat the 'muppet' comment?

In view of the above and not withstanding Steve's very useful info on the ballistic characteristics of various .223 caliber rounds I stand by my comments relating to the tactical utility of assault rifles in the particular scenario being discussed. My key concern being the extended range of the weapon concerned. Yes, depending on the type of round and the physical properties of the object being struck .223 rounds can and will deform rapidly but the point is they are still potentially lethal out to several hundred meters - as they are designed to be. In the scenario being discussed including the potentially confined engagement space a pistol would have been, IMO the better option.
                      LOL, Just shoot the Burglar.. ;)

Comment

Apology accepted.

Comment

'Muppet' is an endearing insult ......I'm frequently a muppet when I'm on the vino...Usually on Friday nights

My point was that untrained people react, they grab what's nearest and think about it afterwards

Comment

No worries, and yes they do.

Comment

My personal weapon for home defence would be without doubt a semi auto 5 shot browning 12 guage chambered for 3 inch magnum , seems to cover all the angles for mweahhh . But anything that is close to hand as a weapon is much better than SFA , but to comment ref 3 dead ,, GOOD
                              Last edited by tankie; 01 Apr 17,, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                              X