No announcement yet.

A Good BB Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say......I hate to rain a little on your parade, but in "On the Beach", when they are looking at thru the scope in SF Bay, there's a Spurance, a Perry (or is it a Knox, the memory isn't clear on that image), and is it a cruiser or a BB?

Comment

Originally posted by petsan View Post
      Now If I had in fact made this movie it would have been much much shorter in lenth

Movie starts, Begin credits......
      "Skipper, giant Charcarodon Megalodon breaching to port"
      "Aim, fire FULL BROADSIDES"
      "Skipper, giant Charcarodon Megalodon blown to pieces"
      Skipper kisses girl, as pieces of shark float to bottom..

end credits.....

This pic is of the New Jersey and not the Missouri. You can tell by the ECM houses up on 09 level. New Jersey retained her 1968 "ears" whereas the other ships got a wrap-around deckhouse.

And the shark is breaching on the STARBOARD side, not Port side.

I started to watch the movie on the Sci Fi channel. The Destroyer was a model made up of parts from other models probably bought from Dreadnaught's Helper as his model hulls, fittings and gun mounts are big enough to photograph at a high resolution.

After a while though I just got bored with the movie and turned the TV off.
      Last edited by RustyBattleship; 25 Sep 09,, 01:53.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        This pic is of the New Jersey and not the Missouri. You can tell by the ECM houses up on 09 level........
        Oh, you mean the "Slick 32's"?

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
          Oh, you mean the "Slick 32's"?
          Yep. Those babies. The BB's were the first ships we installed the "Active" mod on where it can "return" false targeting info. All the other ships we did at LBNSY were the "Passive" mods only.

As for the "On the Beach" movie, is this a remake of the one starring Gregory Peck (SSN Captain) and Fred Astaire (as a race car driver)? If it's the orginal, the ships you mention didn't exist then.

Comment

Yep. Those babies. The BB's were the first ships we installed the "Active" mod on where it can "return" false targeting info. All the other ships we did at LBNSY were the "Passive" mods only.

As for the "On the Beach" movie, is this a remake of the one starring Gregory Peck (SSN Captain) and Fred Astaire (as a race car driver)? If it's the orginal, the ships you mention didn't exist then.
            I preferred the ECM SLQ's.......sort of gave my job as an EWO more fun. Like the boys, I wanted my own toys to play with.

As far as On The Beach, there was a latter version with Assante and Brown in 2000. In the scene I'm referring to, they are zooming in on the NAS at Treasure Island (which presents a problem or two) and they see this:

To me, it looks like a Spurance or a Tico, a Perry..........and something with 3 guns to a turret. Seems too big to be a cruiser but too small to be a BB.....but then again, this is just a small picture in a cluttered scene meant only to be seen for a second or two.

Comment

I preferred the ECM SLQ's.......sort of gave my job as an EWO more fun. Like the boys, I wanted my own toys to play with.
              For us, the SLQ's pretty good, clean work except working the cooling lines in the waveguide trunk going out to the antennas. Usually on staging with nothing underneath except the main deck, pier, or ocean.

To me, it looks like a Spurance or a Tico, a Perry..........and something with 3 guns to a turret. Seems too big to be a cruiser but too small to be a BB.....but then again, this is just a small picture in a cluttered scene meant only to be seen for a second or two.
              I can maybe see a Perry with it's bow folded upwards, but it's proportion in relation to the other ship is off.

Comment

The ship on the right is NOT a Perry class Frigate as they do not have a bulbous bow SONAR dome. Also it is not a Knox class as the hexoganal MACK structure is not there. Could be a Spruance or Tyco but that's as much as we're going to get unless somebody from the special effects department chimes in with what he really used for the view.

The ship on the left is obviously an Iowa class Battleship. Besides the two forward 3-gun turrets, it has the BB 61 type enclosed bridge. But anything aft of that is un-identiable due to the distortion and heavy shadowing.
                Last edited by RustyBattleship; 25 Sep 09,, 18:41.

Comment

The ship on the right is NOT a Perry class Frigate as they do not have a bulbous bow SONAR dome. Also it is not a Knox class as the hexoganal MACK structure is not there. Could be a Spruance or Tyco but that's as much as we're going to get unless somebody from the special effects department chimes in with what he really used for the view.
                  That bulb-looking part is too high up on the bow to be a sonar dome even on a Spruance class ship so I ruled that out.

As for the ship on the left, the beam is too narrow for a battleship, rather it resembles a Baltimore class cruiser.

BTW, I'm not going to be there tomorrow. Will be packing for a trip on Sunday through Tuesday. Did go by the Spring entrance to the park this morning on the way to "Plaza."
                  Last edited by Ytlas; 25 Sep 09,, 19:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                    That bulb-looking part is too high up on the bow to be a sonar dome even on a Spruance class ship so I ruled that out.

As for the ship on the left, the beam is too narrow for a battleship, rather it resembles a Baltimore class cruiser.

BTW, I'm not going to be there tomorrow. Will be packing for a trip on Sunday through Tuesday. Did go by the Spring entrance to the park this morning on the way to "Plaza."
                    The distortions of the picture and the extremely low resolution makes positive identification difficult.

I will miss having you join us tomorrow at our shipyard reunion picnic. You were the most valuable contributor to the book.

I just wish more were being sold. However, I will have one on display at the picnic.

Comment

I just wish more were being sold. However, I will have one on display at the picnic.
                      Hopefully it won't be my copy...

I won't be missed.

My freshman year in high school a guy on the Varsity Football team went up to the Head Coach and asked to quit the team. The Coach told him "Ok, but first chance to get, find a bucket of water and put your fist in it. The space that remains when you pull your fist out is how much we'll miss you. Now get out of here." The team went 0-9 that year and the Coach became the fist in the bucket because he resigned and was never missed.

Comment

Working...
                      X