No announcement yet.

Islamist Militants Take Mosul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "a cause that connects nationalism to dignity and democracy".

Right, let's replace ISIS with a extremist nationalist arab government that panders to raising the masses out of the slums in the name of equality - and holds elections.

They used to have that down there. Was called Ba'ath.

Comment

• That's why I disagree.

If there is any idealism nascent in the islamic world,is precisely the idea of a new Caliphate.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
        "a cause that connects nationalism to dignity and democracy".

Right, let's replace ISIS with a extremist nationalist arab government that panders to raising the masses out of the slums in the name of equality - and holds elections.

They used to have that down there. Was called Ba'ath.
        Used to...? Joking right? Or just believe everything you read?
        "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

• Used to. As in neither Hussein nor Assad is in power of their respective countries at the moment. Or alive in Hussein's case.

Comment

Used to. As in neither Hussein nor Assad is in power of their respective countries at the moment. Or alive in Hussein's case.
            "Mission Accomplished"

I just don't subscribe to the theory that the Ba'ath just disappeared.

I do however find it troubling that there is substantial reporting of Ba'ath military commanders operating with ISIS. But, I've already been down that road here, and got the same sort of response.

Frankly, I just thought it was interesting that finally the dialogue is now mentioning Arab nationalism and ISIS in the same breath.

As if the caliphate is a religious goal...
            "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

According to German news media, some 36 Turkish soldiers stationed at the Süleyman Shah mausoleum are currently surrounded by 1100 armed IS men.
              Turkey evacuated the Süleyman Shah mausoleum - soldiers and remains - last night in a major operation involving an infantry battalion accompanied by a tank battalion crossing through Kobane into Syrian territory. The operation came after Kurdish fighters had driven back IS and secured the area around Kobane in the last few weeks. One turkish soldier died during the operation in a nondescript "accident".

Turkish soldiers evacuate Tomb of Suleyman Shah in Syria - CNN.com

BBC News - Turkey enters Syria to evacuate Suleyman Shah tomb

According to German news, Turkey simultaneously moved south of the border near Eschme and occupied a Syrian border village where the Turkish flag was raised and the remains from the mausoleum are planned to be moved in the next couple days.
              Last edited by kato; 22 Feb 15,, 16:42.

Comment

• Iraq

The biggest offensive against ISIS so far happened without American help—but with plenty of assistance from Iran.
                The Iraqi military launched a major campaign to take back a key city from the self-proclaimed Islamic State over the weekend—a move that caught the U.S. “by surprise,” in the words of one American government official.

The U.S.-led coalition forces that have conducted seven months of airstrikes on Iraq’s behalf did not participate in the attack, defense officials told The Daily Beast, and the American military has no plans to chip in.

Instead, embedded Iranian advisors and Iranian-backed Shiite militias are taking part in the offensive on the largely Sunni town, raising the prospect that the fight to beat back ISIS could become a sectarian war.

The news is the latest indication that not all is well with the American effort against the terror group. On Friday, U.S. defense officials told The Daily Beast that a planned offensive against the ISIS stronghold of Mosul had been indefinitely postponed. Over the weekend, an American-backed rebel group in Syria announced that it was dissolving, and joining an Islamist faction.

Then there was the unexpected battle for Tikrit. Over the weekend, a reported 30,000 troops and militiamen—mostly Shiites —stormed the Sunni dominated city of Tikrit, former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s hometown and the symbolic birthplace of his three decades of repressive practices against the majority Shiite population.

U.S. officials were largely left in the dark of the planning and timing of the operation, defense officials said. The Pentagon said Monday it was not conducting airstrikes in support of the Tikrit offensive because the Iraqi government did not ask for such help.
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Question: have any F16's been delivered to the Iraqi air force?
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• I'm glad to see the Tikrit offensive, even if it does leave the US on the sidelines. ISIS really isn't much of a US problem, and while US airstrikes can help to slow ISIS down, it is well past time for the folks in the region to step up to the plate.

While I would prefer that the US is kept in the loop, letting the guys over there handle their shit without involving the US in any urban meat grinders doesn't exactly break my heart.

Comment

• Frankly, I don't see a problem that US is not in the loop. It only shows that there is still some hope for the locals and years of blood, sweat and treasure on training them ain't (entirely) lost.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I'll be interested to see how Tikrit plays out, as it may be a good test run before Mosul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Frankly, I don't see a problem that US is not in the loop. It only shows that there is still some hope for the locals and years of blood, sweat and treasure on training them ain't (entirely) lost.
                          It's the Iranians and Shia militias.That's why the US is out.And if Tikrit sees a massacre,you can bet the Sunni tribes will fight enthusiastically along ISIS.Even if it doesn't,the tribal war is strong

My money is on the Shia,but either way it will be a slaughterhouse.
                          As for the remaining equipment of the Iraqi army,the Iranians can use it as well.
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Strange in a way that the destruction of an historic site can gather as much attention as the killing of civilians. You get the feeling everyone who condemns the destruction is aware of the strange battle in their minds over organising moral priorities, I know it occurred to me. That said, there is no need for things to be mutually exclusive.

It seems nearly everyone is in the game of killing people, but the destruction of ancient, unique cultural sites with this intensity is much rarer, and represents a mind set and outlook towards life that perhaps justifies the greater news coverage.

BBC News - Nimrud: Outcry as IS bulldozers attack ancient Iraq site

Archaeologists and officials have expressed outrage about the bulldozing of the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud by Islamic State militants in Iraq.

Comment

The Bundeswehr has decided to back up its deliveries to the Peshmerga with two further shipments.
                              Both shipments concluded July 9th, in another 9 An-124 flights spread out regularly every two weeks since March.

International Training Center in Arbil including Bundeswehr soldiers, which began operations in February, is currently training a fifth infantry battalion. Fourth battalion, during Ramadan, consisted of Yazhidi and Kakai (no Muslims).

Comment

• Following the Turkish attacks on Kurdistan Germany has announced that it will begin withdrawing its PAC-3 contingent from the Syrian border immediately. The USA will follow in October, Spain by December at the latest.

Comment

Working...
                                X