Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel: Strategic Asset or Strategic Liability?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel: Strategic Asset or Strategic Liability?

It's the title of a chapter of a required reading. I thought it may make an interesting topic here on WAB.

In the post-Cold War era, on the balance, has Israel proven to be a strategic asset or strategic liability to the United States? Do you feel that on the whole US interests coincide with those of Israel, or do you feel that they contradict them?
    Strategic Asset
    52.56%
    Strategic Liability
    47.44%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I've gone back and forth on this issue, personally. I used to be gung-ho pro-Israel a few years ago, now my enthusiasm for Israel has dampened. On one hand I could see the argument that during the Cold War it was necessary to balance against "client states" of the USSR-Syria and Egypt. In the post-Cold War world though the strategic benefit Israel brings is less prevalent.

Israel has sold US military aircraft-designated for it-to China-a country the US does not readily send military technology to. Israel has paid or coerced American citizens to pass classified information to it or its lobbyists and thus act against their own government and compromise national security (Pollard, AIPAC). If any other government had done these things would the US consider it to be a strategic asset or a liability?

Information can be found readily as to what the US brings to the American-Israeli alliance (military and economic aid, Security Council support, etc.) but what does Israel bring to the alliance? Are they even a reliable partner? Those are questions that should be addressed in this thread. I haven't even gotten to the Palestinian/Arab issues yet...but I'm sure it will be addressed as well.

Good topic BTW.

Comment

Liability. Israel's too focused on its survival to be a reliable ally. Before, israel was France's best ally, today its the US', tomorrow it will be -why not?- China's.

Comment

I think US says yes to INDIA through Israel which means a sort of power of influence to exert on one country regarding weapons sale etc......
        It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Israel has never been anything but a tremendous liability for the US. I am, and remain, baffled as to why the US has ever had anything but a distant observational relationship with that country.

Stop supporting Israel, the entire "Islamic fundamentalist" problem, Al Qaeda, etc., evaporates. Stop letting Israel in on sensitive information, the largest US security hole, military and industrial, disappears. Stop throwing all those billions of dollars at Israel every year, the US economy improves markedly.

Comment

There's an old saying about Israel. The most dangerous ally to the US is Israel.

Comment

I've made my opinion and the mountain of evidence for it clear in this thread. http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=41354
              HD Ready?

Comment

Tough Question

I am not familiar with the US-Israel cold war relationship, but I strong disagree with Graniteforge on support to Israel is the cause of terrorist attack on US. That is absurd. US and Israel have a stronger relationship since the WWII, but the terrorist problem is much recent. why did it take the terrorist to almost 50 years to plan that attack?

Comment

US-Israel Relationship

Article from http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/Art...084569,00.html

Two-way independence

In many ways, Israel is the giver and the U.S. is the receiver
                  By Yoram Ettinger

Statements made by and the conduct of Israel’s leaders since 1993 create the false impression that Israeli-American ties constitute a one-way relationship.

The presumption is that America gives and Israel receives, leading to Israel’s inferior position and the alleged compulsion to follow the State Department dictates.

However, Former Secretary of State and NATO forces commander Alexander Haig refuted this claim, saying he is pro-Israeli because Israel is the largest American aircraft carrier in the world that cannot be sunk, does not carry even one American soldier, and is located in a critical region for American national security.

On our 57th Independence Day, Israel and the United States enjoy a two-way relationship. Israel is like a start-up company that enjoys the kindness of the American investor, but yields much greater profits than the investment.

Every day, Israel relays to the U.S. lessons of battle and counter-terrorism, which reduce American losses in Iraq and Afghanistan, prevent attacks on U.S. soil, upgrade American weapons, and contribute to the U.S. economy.

Senator Daniel Inouye recently argued Israeli information regarding Soviet arms saved the U.S. billions of dollars. The contribution made by Israeli intelligence to America is greater than that provided by all NATO countries combined, he said.

Innovative Israeli technologies boost U.S. industries

Meanwhile, the vice president of the company that produces the F16 fighter jets told me Israel is responsible for 600 improvements in the plane’s systems, modifications estimated to be worth billions of dollars, which spared dozens of research and development years.

Israel’s utilization of American arms guarantees our existence, but at the same time gives U.S. military industries a competitive edge compared to European industries, while also boosting American military production, producing American jobs, and improving America’s national security.

Japan and South Korea, for example, preferred the “Hawkeye” spy plane and the MD-500 chopper, both purchased and upgraded by Israel, over comparable British and French aircraft.

Indeed, innovative Israeli technologies have a similar effect on American civilian and agricultural industries, which view Israel as a successful research and development site.

As early as 1952, U.S. Army Chief-of-Staff Omar Bradley called for the integration of Israel into the Mediterranean Basin area, in light of the country’s location and unique capabilities.

In 1967, Israel held back a radical Arab, pro-Soviet offensive, which threatened to bring about the collapse of pro-American Arab regimes and disrupt oil supply, thus severely undermining the American standard of living.

In 1970, Israel brought about the withdrawal of Syrian forces from Jordan, at a time when the U.S. was tied up by wars in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, thus preventing the fall of the pro-American Hashemite regime and a possible domino effect that could have reached Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states.

Israel shares counter-terror lessons

The 1976 raid in Uganda that freed Israeli passengers of an Air France flight hijacked by terrorists provided America with a backwind in the war on international terror, while in 1977 Israeli intelligence provided the intelligence information that foiled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s plan to assassinate Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.

Notably, Sadat would later go on to make peace with Israel, paving the way for other agreements between Israel and the Arabs.

In 1982, Israel destroyed Soviet anti-aircraft batteries in Lebanon that were considered immune to American weapons. Israel promptly shared the operation’s lessons, estimated to be worth billions of dollars, changing entirely the global balance of power in the process and contributing to the Soviet Union’s eventual disintegration.

In 1981, Israel bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor, providing the U.S. with the option of engaging in conventional wars with Iraq in 1991 and 2003 and preventing a possible nuclear war and a terrible price of thousands killed.

In 2005, Israel provides America with the world’s most extensive experience in homeland defense and warfare against suicide bombers and car bombs. American soldiers train in IDF facilities and Israeli-made drones fly above the “Sunni Triangle” in Iraq, as well as in Afghanistan, providing U.S. Marines with vital intelligence.

Without Israel, the U.S. would have been forced to deploy tens of thousands of American troops in the eastern Mediterranean Basin, at a cost of billions of dollars a year. Had Israel been located in the Persian Gulf, the U.S. would have been spared the need to send hundreds of thousands of soldiers to the region, thanks to Israel’s deterrence and operational capabilities.

Indeed, Congress leaders, Vice President Cheney, and Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld are aware of Israel’s unique contribution to U.S. interests. In fact, they all wonder why the post-1993 Israel does not use its impressive contribution as leverage, in sharp contrast to the pre-1993 Israel.

Yoram Ettinger is a consultant on U.S.-Israel relations, Chairman of Special Projects at the Ariel Center for Policy Research and frequent contributor to Yedioth Ahronoth

Comment

US-Israel Strategic Partnership

see the attached PDF file
                    so i think i am inclining toward Israel a strategic asset to US.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                      Stop supporting Israel, the entire "Islamic fundamentalist" problem, Al Qaeda, etc., evaporates. Stop letting Israel in on sensitive information, the largest US security hole, military and industrial, disappears. Stop throwing all those billions of dollars at Israel every year, the US economy improves markedly.
                      The Islamic fundamentalist problem is because of Israel? I suppose if not for Israel there would be no 9/11 either? Where is your causal link here?
                      In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

generally I've felt that Israel has little to offer the US and receives carte blanche political, economic and military support. On the other hand it has made the US many uneccesary enemies and no friends. In many situations it has put the US on the wrong side of history such as supporting Israeli Nukes, cluster bombs, and expansion of Israeli settlements(the US says it opposes Israeli expansionism but the so called opposition has not reduced blanket support and giving money for one pocket simply allows the Israelis to take money from other pockets to subsidize expanding settlements).
                        Much of so called Israeli intellegence is self serving propaganda. On the other hand reducing support is not going to stop fanatics like Al Quaeda from hating the US. A fair minded treatment of the Palistinians would help particularly if in opposition to Israel's more flagrant behavior. It might help change a lot of minds in the general Arab/Muslim population. Not being an American I probably miss some of their motivations, but what I would suggest is to treat Israel like any other country. Oppose its nukes and condemn its use of cluster bombs in civilian areas, pressure it on expansionism, and no big hand outs. Condemn and support action against attacks on Israeli civilians and defend it against invasion. Think of any similar sized western country and consider how much it has been given and what it has contributed and they are all better allies than Israel.

As one post stated Israel lines itself up with great powers and if China becomes the top dog guess who will line as their best friend. If you read pre Israel Zionist writings you will find they quite explicidly state that that is what their strategy is and will be, starting with Britain, then the Soviet Union, then France and now the US. They have been quite happy to pursue thier own interests with extremist regimes including the white racist one in South Africa.

Blanket support has had another effect and that is the strengthening of the extreme right wing in Israel itself. There are no consequences if Israel expands settlements for instance so like most people they don't react to it. If the Israeli army kills some kids it may be opposed by some activists but the population will ignore it.

My own feeling is that Israel will have better long term prospects if the US treats it in a more balanced fashion. Right now it is like the little dog in the cartoon that accompany's a very big dog. It behaves quite aggressively and other dogs give way to it but more because of the big dog than itself. I doubt if the relationship is sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic View Post
                          Extremely misleading. Most Israeli defence purchases are funded by the Americans. Hence, the Americans are buying weapons to give to Israel. Israel is not spending her own money.

As for the aircraft carrier bit, that aircraft carrier was chickening out when the big bad bear came roaring in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic View Post
                            I am not familiar with the US-Israel cold war relationship, but I strong disagree with Graniteforge on support to Israel is the cause of terrorist attack on US. That is absurd. US and Israel have a stronger relationship since the WWII, but the terrorist problem is much recent. why did it take the terrorist to almost 50 years to plan that attack?

Israel always sold itself to the top dog of the day in order to survive.

Before 1962 France fought Egypt and the other Arab countries through the French supplied Israeli Army.

Same for the US. the Americans confronted the Soviet Union in the ME through Israel. Each war won by the American supplied Israeli Army was a US victory against the Arab states backed by the Soviet Union. Which led the Arabs to desert the Soviet camp and sign at Camp David.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                              The Islamic fundamentalist problem is because of Israel? I suppose if not for Israel there would be no 9/11 either? Where is your causal link here?
                              Well, we can't go back in time and re-run history so there's no way of knowing what would have happened if something were different.

I think unequivocal US support of Israeli policies has earned us a good measure of hatred from the Arab world. The question is whether 100% US support for Israel is worth the enmity of hundreds of millions of people. Are our national interests properly served by our current policy?

That being said among the list of complaints of Al-Qaeda, in addition to US support for Israeli policies, is the "presence of the Crusader army in the Land of the Two Holy Places", as well as the US war and sanctions against Iraq.

Just because they have complaints doesn't mean we don't have legitimate national interests that we should uphold and continue to, doesn't mean that a given policy or action was incorrect, or that we should not be a friend of Israel.

The rise of Islamic fundamentalism is very multi-faceted, but a contributing factor to its rise was the overwhelming defeats inflicted, especially in 1967, on the forces representing secular Arab nationalism, which was strongly discredited as a political ideology and sent people looking for an alternative.
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                              X