X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice critique on Top Gun

See article below

79 Cringeworthy Technical Errors In The Movie 'Top Gun'

Every time I see the Tomcat being inverted against the fictitious MiG-28, my first thought always come up as this: Won't that humongously big ass vertical tail fins hit that bird?

Glad to see that I was not the only one thinking of that.

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    See article below

79 Cringeworthy Technical Errors In The Movie 'Top Gun'

Every time I see the Tomcat being inverted against the fictitious MiG-28, my first thought always come up as this: Won't that humongously big ass vertical tail fins hit that bird?

Glad to see that I was not the only one thinking of that.
    Oh that is brilliant.

The one that always irritated the living daylights out of me was

Random lieutenant reports, “Both catapults are broken. We can’t launch any aircraft right now,” which ignores the fact that modern aircraft carriers have four catapults.

What makes it even worse is that "Stinger" (James Tolkan) had specifically asked about "Cats 3 and 4".

Now...let's pretend somebody knows zero about aircraft carriers or the Navy. The next logical question that anybody who can count would ask is "Hm, so what about 1 and 2?
    Of course, you don't have much of a suspenseful underdog movie if you're able to launch the full, or even merely half, of the fighter complement of a CV/CVN.

Then of course there's "Iceman...that's how he flies, ice cold, no mistakes"...until we actually see Iceman flying his hop with Maverick and suddenly Iceman seems to freeze up (rim shot) after practically panicking over the radio the entire time.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Independence Day had a doozy that made me grind my teeth.

When they were explaining the control panel to launch the nuke, Will Smith sez:

"Looks like the AMRAAM control panel on the stealth."

ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Oh that is brilliant.

The one that always irritated the living daylights out of me was

Random lieutenant reports, “Both catapults are broken. We can’t launch any aircraft right now,” which ignores the fact that modern aircraft carriers have four catapults.

What makes it even worse is that "Stinger" (James Tolkan) had specifically asked about "Cats 3 and 4".

Now...let's pretend somebody knows zero about aircraft carriers or the Navy. The next logical question that anybody who can count would ask is "Hm, so what about 1 and 2?
        Of course, you don't have much of a suspenseful underdog movie if you're able to launch the full, or even merely half, of the fighter complement of a CV/CVN.
        True dat. If all catapults were broken at a single time, the skipper of the boat would be relieved at that spot unless something happened out of his control due to an external exigent circumstance such as a missile attack or such. To allow such a thing happening during peacetime and wartime operations would be so embarrassing that it would warrant all five star trek captains facepalming plus worf and spock apply facepalm. Extra historical facepalm thrown in for a bonus epic failure.

Then of course there's "Iceman...that's how he flies, ice cold, no mistakes"...until we actually see Iceman flying his hop with Maverick and suddenly Iceman seems to freeze up (rim shot) after practically panicking over the radio the entire time.
        No one would ever fly with that character, Iceman, from Top Gun. Hell, they wouldn't even let him near the plane.
        Attached Files

Comment

I was cracking up at work reading this, people were looking at me funny (and, no, they wouldn't get it; my coworkers are into American Idol and Duck Dynasty); and I'm sure those were just the obvious 79 things!

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
          Independence Day had a doozy that made me grind my teeth.

When they were explaining the control panel to launch the nuke, Will Smith sez:

"Looks like the AMRAAM control panel on the stealth."

ugh.
          The other one that had me cringing (and my middle son, who's as into aircraft/missiles/tanks as I am) is when they take a stealth bomber flying at 1000' (really?!?!?!?! wouldn't 10,000' be a MUCH better altitude to launch a nuke at?) to within 1 mile of a known hostile target, AND you launch a tactical nuke at basically point-blank range with zero time to evade. Why don't you just do everybody a favor and fly directly into the alien ship with your 2 billion dollar airplane that you're about to vaporize anyway?
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I was surprised the battle at the end didn't result in Iceman and Maverick just heading back to the air defense area offered by the battlegroup after getting eyes on the enemy. It was pretty obvious none of the "Migs 28s" were lugging any Exocets around. Thus they weren't much of a threat to shipping.

Since I can only assume the "Mig 28s" were Soviet copies of the F-5, strapping 1500lb Exocets on to them as well as the AIM-9 "copies" we saw them shooting would be a hell of a payload for a little 10,000lb fighter. Not to mention the question of where the Soviets got their hands on Exocets in the first place or why they suddenly decided their own KH-22s weren't up to the task.
            Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 12 Mar 15,, 20:55.

Comment

Having played team sports against Navy personnel I always found the vaguely homo-erotic volleyball game slightly unrealistic. In real life it would have been much more camp. :whome:
              Last edited by Monash; 13 Mar 15,, 11:43.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Working...
              X