Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
    Michael Caine as a welshman was about as convincing as when he played Rob Roy ,, och aye the noo me ol kok sparra ;) , apart from him and the film based on fact , yea a good movie .:)
    Did you see him in "Second hand lions"? Not convincing as a Texan either, but one my absolute favorite movies!:)

Comment

• forget to add my vote
      Attached Files
      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• The Devils Brigade

Comment

• Tora Tora Tora
          Green Zone

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
            Tora Tora Tora
            Green Zone
            Tora Tora Tora , a good film , I liked A bridge too far , and I was Monties double , that's a film where a pay corp clerk gets to imitate Monty and realise's what its like to be a real soldier :tankie:
            Last edited by tankie; 02 Mar 12,, 21:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue View Post
              Did you see him in "Second hand lions"? Not convincing as a Texan either, but one my absolute favorite movies!:)
              Aint seen that one ???

Comment

• Getting ready to go on a week long Civil War tour of the Vicksburg Campaign with a good friend in 2 weeks. Bringing along a DVD player and a stack of DVDs for hanging around the room.

Our selection

The Horse Soldiers
                Fort Apache
                She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
                Rio Bravo
                Major Dundee
                Zulu
                The Longest Day
                Band of Brothers boxed set
                The Pacific boxed set
                Gettysburg

You may see a theme here.

Any suggestions to add to this list?

We'll have about 4 to 5 hours a night to kill.

And even though we will be in some dry counties the Wayback Machine will have ample supplies of beer for consumption in the room.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Glory
                  Dark Command
                  The Undefeated
                  Andersonville
                  The Man Who Never Was
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• I'd go with Regeneration. This movie was an awesome insight into the first modern war poets. If anyone is interested in Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon then you might want to check out this movie. It's a pretty good look into the mental state of the soldiers as well as how they were treated.

Comment

• A bridge too far
                      Das Boot
                      Come and See
                      Stalingrad (the German one, not the Russian)
                      Taegukgi (sure the action is Rambo-style, but it at least portrayed the horrors of war somewhat accurately)
                      Der Untergang, if it can be called a war film
                      일편단심

Comment

• " Bridge too far " was very romantic, great cast, great scenery and amazing score. Failed badly to adequately portray the Germans position. When you think about what was going on the eastern front, the round the clock bombing of the German war machine, the allied effort appears very weak. To be fair, nearly every western movie is guilty of this.

Probably one of the most realistic movies based around war would be 'the odd angry shot" or Oliver Stones "Heaven and Earth".

Comment

• I don't understand why The Longest Day is not in the list. This is one of the best war movies ever.

Comment

• Although it's not an option, I think I would choose Lawrence of Arabia. No huge bloody battles but it really gets into the deep matters of warfare in my opinion. Plus it's just an absolute piece of art to watch.

Comment

• Amazingly, I was just wondering if I should wake up this old thread to mention "Lawrence of Arabia." Yup, I'd have to say it's my favorite war movie.

I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?

"Patton" is one of those films that I can watch over and over and still enjoy. Maybe it's the music.

"Patriot," starring Mel Gibson, would rank high on my list.

"Dam Busters" might be of interest only to Kiwi fans, but I certainly enjoyed it; hoping for the modern remake.

And just to inject some silliness: "The Battle of the Five Armies." Let's talk serious history here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanjac View Post
                                I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?
                                I'm no expert by any means, but Valkyrie was definitely a good movie IMO, although it had to stretch things a bit. For one thing it makes the coup look like it was succeeding more than it actually was, among other things.

The Wiki article on the movie goes into pretty good detail, but more importantly provides links to other articles for further study.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X