HMS Queen Elizabeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Queen Elizabeth

Guess what I saw on my drive through Scotland?
    Attached Files
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    Guess what I saw on my drive through Scotland?
    Can't wait to see her on the high seas!
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Hopefully, she and her sister ship POW have long service lives and don't end up 'paid off' or sold off before their time.

Comment

be nice if the HMS Prince of Wales is a CATOBAR carrier, will make her much more "useful" in the real world..

Comment

I believe all plans of CATOBAR have been abandoned at this point due to cost and time constraints. ( https://fullfact.org/articles/how_do..._carrier-27178) I am curious as to why the have separated the flight ops and ship's navigation into two different island superstructures. It seems like a waste of deck space unless something else in the ship's structure dictated it.

Comment

One story I heard that they were blaming the gas turbine locations for the ducting, each island has an exhaust funnel.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
              I am curious as to why the have separated the flight ops and ship's navigation into two different island superstructures. It seems like a waste of deck space unless something else in the ship's structure dictated it.
              adding illustration to go with your comment:

(not much deck space)

Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS_QE_IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1467947
              Last edited by JRT; 07 Dec 15,, 23:12.

Comment

I assume the flight ops tower is the one aft? The other one can't see both elevators.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                  I am curious as to why the have separated the flight ops and ship's navigation into two different island superstructures.
                  Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                  I assume the flight ops tower is the one aft? The other one can't see both elevators.
                  Jlvr, correct.

I guess you could call it design and intended use philosophies.

The reason for 2 islands, flight ops and conn, is to maximize the utility of both.

Charles de Gaulle has hers quite a ways forward, which is excellent for navigation.

The USN carrier islands, trying to maximize flight deck control, have been marching steadily aft, class after class.
                  The USN carriers are hauling around the largest airgroups by far, so flight deck control for high sortie generation is paramount

(The Ford-class has taken this to the logical extreme of course)
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It looks like it has a lot of deck space, especially when you look from overhead- but you can never have too much deck space.

Comment

Is it just me, or does that picture also show the majority of the UKs sub fleet tied up?

Comment

Modern western subs are sooo hard to ID...

Comment

I think four of the subs are decommissioned boomers (Resolution Class).
                          Last edited by surfgun; 08 Dec 15,, 12:41.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                            I think four of the subs are decommissioned boomers (Resolution Class).
                            Correct, and the other three on the left are Dreadnought, Churchill and Swiftsure

Comment

A nice comparison between Queen Elizabeth and Illustrious

Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_alongside_HMS_Illustrious.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1467953

Comment

Working...
                              X