No announcement yet.

Infantry gear over the ages: 1066-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having joined the Marine Corps during the "Rubber Bitch"(blowup air mattress) days. No matter how new or how airtight you think it is, By 2AM all the air will have leaked out of it.

S-2 and AR can fill you in even more

Comment

What is this thing you call a cot?

The rubber bitch was a blow up air mattress which belonged in the same hall of fame as the GOER, M60A2 & Gamma Goat.

I slept on a foam pad laid on top of a shelter half on top of snow many times and was warm in my sleeping bag. But I also slept well with a poncho liner in a hammock. Hell one of my best nights sleep was sun freezing weather in the desert wearing a cold whether parka and wrapped in an oil soaked length of canvas.

Exhaustion is a wonderful sleep aid!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

big balloon compressed carbon dioxide can help :)

Comment

"S-2 and AR can fill you in even more..."

Not really. Gunny, you nailed the absolute gist. Entirely pointless exercise with an air mattress. Really no better with the foam pad. About 1/2" of foam ain't hacking it downrange at Irwin or 29 Palms.

OTOH-

"...Exhaustion is a wonderful sleep aid"

Word.

Problem is you'll be up and moving in 2 hours. 2 hours sleep after going 20+ left me feeling really hung over. As long as I had my toothbrush and could scrub my teeth, though, anything was possible.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
            "...Exhaustion is a wonderful sleep aid"

Word.

Problem is you'll be up and moving in 2 hours. 2 hours sleep after going 20+ left me feeling really hung over. As long as I had my toothbrush and could scrub my teeth, though, anything was possible.
            You both know this is lie. When this is your plan, I don't care how exhausted you are, you're not going to sleep until you execute your plan.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              One thing is for sure....the load of the PBI has not gotten any lighter over the years!
              Sure it has. You now carry 100lbs of lightweight sh!t.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Astralis....Shek made that exact same comment on my Facebook post!
                And I did it again

Had an O-6 guest speaker at my basic course use the line . . . and have never forgotten, especially during those movements to daylight!
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

A man can carry only so much shit. The trick is to re-arrange the shit so there's more variety for the same weight.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                  X