Help wanted in buying a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Good and an important point. Small 'fruit juice' stalls (freshly made mango/watermelon/lemon/apple etc) can be found all over India. During summer, people should have 1 glass of juice every 2 hrs if they are outside. Summer in India is treacherous, and the maximum street prices of the juices are 30 cents and less. And, they mix crushed ice too, if people so desire.
    They're even more atrocious for a gora/farang like me. When it is 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit out, I sleep with both windows open covered only by a bedsheet. I prefer late fall and cold winter weather, dressed in wool and fur, even though it looks ridiculous to the macaroni fancy dandy types dressed only in light coats because of fashion. I have no problem being out in temperatures of -50F.

Anything over 80F, I go into torpor and drink beverages idly, or pursue hobbies that can be done idly or semi-idly.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      They're even more atrocious for a gora/farang like me. When it is 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit out, I sleep with both windows open covered only by a bedsheet. I prefer late fall and cold winter weather, dressed in wool and fur, even though it looks ridiculous to the macaroni fancy dandy types dressed only in light coats because of fashion. I have no problem being out in temperatures of -50F.

Anything over 80F, I go into torpor and drink beverages idly, or pursue hobbies that can be done idly or semi-idly.
      It's firang. And I totally understand being from the hills myself, how you might have felt Indian summer. Summer would be 25 degrees with cool winds all day, and nights would be a little chilly. Winter was chilly, no snowfall, but cold. During monsoons it would rain non-stop for like 3-4 days, and when respite from the rains came, people would flock to the market to get their supplies. I like cold weather, not frozen. Pullovers, sweaters, are my thing. Winter was also the time to eat a lot of tribal pork curry (pig head), goat head, with lots of very hot chillies, ginger, garlic and gin.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

High Sierra. This is a 2017 model, which I got for a 21% discount. Priced INR 77,200, got it at INR 61,000. With the JBL ear-phone and the Sony 32GB USB, it cost me 64K. Steal, as I see it.

Good point about travel, I like it coz it's 1.3 kgs. Don't even feel the weight. Good for mobility. 13.3 inches HD screen.

Don't understand why I am unable to see the pics I just attached. Will look into it later.
        Ok so this is a Mac book Air from 2017 but with older specs. The screen gets a lot of criticism from reviewers but if you're coming from a TN screen then it won't be as bad.

The battery life, extra ports, keyboard and price for you are pro's. This Air has a normal keyboard so you should be fine. I was referring to the 2016 Pro's onwards that leave you feeling as if you're tapping on a flat surface with no give.

What DE and ID have already said, I will add some points. The power infrastructure is a British legacy. It runs on maintenance courtesy Chinese equipments. Very inferior products. So there are distribution losses. Not enough electricity generation, though the current BJP government is trying to address this issue. Solar getting big is due to environmental issues, plus the additional MWs of power generated. Electricity theft, mainly in North India, but happens everywhere. During rains/storm/monsoon, the outage is due to tress falling into live wires and people getting electrocuted. Though so far, the outages I have experienced is nothing compared to what was 2 decades back - for every 1 hr or power, the next hr would be an unplanned outage. I faced the same in NCR back in the summer of 2006/07. Beers in the fridge made life less miserable. Keeping oneself hydrated is very important, so that people don't have sunstroke.
        One change that would help matters is extra competition. Bombay has private players and they never have power cuts. Nobody has a UPS there, it isn't required. Karnataka has just the state company and it overcharges compared to cost of power generated or so AAP claims. Buggers just increased tariffs retroactive from April. Where the extra goes is anybody's guess but it isn't being used to add capacity. Similar with Delhi and water as well.

Good and an important point. Small 'fruit juice' stalls (freshly made mango/watermelon/lemon/apple etc) can be found all over India. During summer, people should have 1 glass of juice every 2 hrs if they are outside. Summer in India is treacherous, and the maximum street prices of the juices are 30 cents and less. And, they mix crushed ice too, if people so desire.
        I'm always uncertain about the water used to make ice so i tend to have it mixed with milk or ice cream instead. Fruit juices are the best thing to have in hot weather.

We have an inverter. Lights and fans are on during outages. But can't connect Laptop, those points aren't connected to the inverted connection. This is where battery backup comes handy.

Bangalore is hot during Mar-May, then monsoon showers cool it down. A fan is okay.
        Will be getting one soon, 2kVA, 24V, two tall 180AH C10 tubulars of the heaviest dry weight i can find. All i need to find now is a lab water supplier for distilled water. I don't trust the stuff sold in petrol bunks.

The power went out for over 4h the other day, this is a rare once or twice a year thing when they have some unplanned outage but it can happen at any time. This will be the first time i have a UPS, i've usually managed with rechargeable emergency lights before. Don't know if i take BJP's promise for 24h electricity seriously or not

Come visit NE. It rained for 4 days continously. Lucky me, I stacked up on smoke and booze. :D
        Yesterday was sunny, humid and hot, but it rained again in the evening. I'd say for a tropical country, heavy downpours are a blessing in disguise. I like my weather cool. Today all I see is overcast sky. Not much heat.
        Never stops raining in the NE, heaviest in the world

https://youtu.be/gWZuj-W62gc
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOH_kO4DGtI
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNShvRPj5U
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2EmO691nY8
        Last edited by Double Edge; 15 May 18,, 23:38.

Comment

It's firang. And I totally understand being from the hills myself, how you might have felt Indian summer. Summer would be 25 degrees with cool winds all day, and nights would be a little chilly. Winter was chilly, no snowfall, but cold. During monsoons it would rain non-stop for like 3-4 days, and when respite from the rains came, people would flock to the market to get their supplies. I like cold weather, not frozen. Pullovers, sweaters, are my thing. Winter was also the time to eat a lot of tribal pork curry (pig head), goat head, with lots of very hot chillies, ginger, garlic and gin.
          Firang, perhaps, in Indian English. I've seen it spelt farang, fereng, ferengi, faranj, etc. The pronunciations changed as the word was brought eastward by Arab travelers to lands further east.

Of course, it is common knowledge that the term derives from the Franks and the country of Francia (aka Frankland, Frankreich, Regnum Francorum, etc.)

Depending on the place, anywhere from a few hundred years to over a thousand years later, one day these savage barbarian people the Arab merchants and missionaries warned them about, showed up in their tall ships.

And we're still dealing with a lot of the repercussions across the world that goes back to when the Farangs discovered oceanic travel via tall ship, and started showing up places they weren't welcome. :-)
          Last edited by Ironduke; 17 May 18,, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Ok so this is a Mac book Air from 2017 but with older specs. The screen gets a lot of criticism from reviewers but if you're coming from a TN screen then it won't be as bad.

The battery life, extra ports, keyboard and price for you are pro's. This Air has a normal keyboard so you should be fine. I was referring to the 2016 Pro's onwards that leave you feeling as if you're tapping on a flat surface with no give.
            TN?

One change that would help matters is extra competition. Bombay has private players and they never have power cuts. Nobody has a UPS there, it isn't required. Karnataka has just the state company and it overcharges compared to cost of power generated or so AAP claims. Buggers just increased tariffs retroactive from April. Where the extra goes is anybody's guess but it isn't being used to add capacity. Similar with Delhi and water as well.
            Karnataka's main problem is the corrupt Congress government under Sidda. Karnataka is not connected to the Central grid, hence the power shortage, plus as you mentioned no private players.

I'm always uncertain about the water used to make ice so i tend to have it mixed with milk or ice cream instead. Fruit juices are the best thing to have in hot weather.
            Germs don't survive below 0 & above 100 degrees. So, either boil water or freeze it. Not sure for the below zero thing. Read an article or watched a video where the argument was that ice was melting in the Antarctic and hence pre-historic bacteria/viruses which were once dormant and kinda buried, are coming back to life. Zombies might be there in the future afterall.

Will be getting one soon, 2kVA, 24V, two tall 180AH C10 tubulars of the heaviest dry weight i can find. All i need to find now is a lab water supplier for distilled water. I don't trust the stuff sold in petrol bunks.

The power went out for over 4h the other day, this is a rare once or twice a year thing when they have some unplanned outage but it can happen at any time. This will be the first time i have a UPS, i've usually managed with rechargeable emergency lights before. Don't know if i take BJP's promise for 24h electricity seriously or not
            Every summer maintenance work happens in Bangalore. It never finishes. How will it? Every year, with every government contract those assholes grease their palms. If you look closely, you'd notice. For e.g., after people scream and shout, a tar road would be built in a locality, after some weeks some government agency will dig it up and put wires in, another contract to repair the road, then sewage department will dig it up, and bleh and bleh. It's a continuing circle of corruption.

I take the Central government seriously (not all), but Yeddy is corrupt. But do expect some changes in the infrastructure front, if he can be the CM and keep it together.

Internet is very slow, so will watch the video later. But, only in Cherrapunji and Mawsynram, there is like 24*365 rains, not every place. Monsoon is shit, this I have to say. I don't know, why NE tourism doesn't get promoted as "Come and enjoy disaster floods, hurricanes and landslides", or in a more serious note "Monsoon Tourism". Will be great for writers, novelists and such getting trapped in a resort/hotel and doing his work amid all the rains and zero noise. Food is good too depending upon tastebuds. Dog, barking deer, soft-shell tortoise, ghost pepper and the likes. For vegetarians there are some good options too like broiler chicken, eggs and fish.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Firang, perhaps, in Indian English. I've seen it spelt farang, fereng, ferengi, faranj, etc. The pronunciations changed as the word was brought eastward by Arab travelers to lands further east.

Of course, it is common knowledge that the term derives from the Franks and the country of Francia (aka Frankland, Frankreich, Regnum Francorum, etc.)

Depending on the place, anywhere from a few hundred years to over a thousand years later, one day these savage people the Arab merchants and missionaries warned them about, showed up in their tall ships.

And we're still dealing with a lot of the repercussions across the world that goes back to when the Farangs discovered oceanic travel via tall ship, and started showing up places they weren't welcome. :-)
              Thanks, didn't know about these connect. I don't get the humour though. Where did they start showing up?

Comment

TN?
                Yes, its a type of LCD screen tech. The other is IPS and variants thereof. Primary difference is TN can't get as bright and has poorer viewing angles. If you use you screen head on as usual there won't be much of an issue. It's when viewing from an angle that colour shifts and brightness varies unlike with IPS. So if there were people sitting either side of you the colour and brightness will vary than if viewing head on.

The slam is Apple hasn't replaced the TN panel with IPS but till charges or did charge a grand for the Air when it came out last year

Karnataka's main problem is the corrupt Congress government under Sidda. Karnataka is not connected to the Central grid, hence the power shortage, plus as you mentioned no private players.
                We are connected to the grid bur apparently we don't have the transmission capacity to utilise central power which means the end result is its as if we weren't connected to the central grid.

Germs don't survive below 0 & above 100 degrees. So, either boil water or freeze it. Not sure for the below zero thing. Read an article or watched a video where the argument was that ice was melting in the Antarctic and hence pre-historic bacteria/viruses which were once dormant and kinda buried, are coming back to life. Zombies might be there in the future afterall.
                Boiling is fine or even if it went through an Aquaguard. Nobody boils, Aquaguard is about it if there is one. Viruses cannot survive for long outside a living organism. Bacteria however are capable of surviving quite well. Boiling will get rid of most of them i'm not sure about ice though.

Every summer maintenance work happens in Bangalore. It never finishes. How will it? Every year, with every government contract those assholes grease their palms. If you look closely, you'd notice. For e.g., after people scream and shout, a tar road would be built in a locality, after some weeks some government agency will dig it up and put wires in, another contract to repair the road, then sewage department will dig it up, and bleh and bleh. It's a continuing circle of corruption.

I take the Central government seriously (not all), but Yeddy is corrupt. But do expect some changes in the infrastructure front, if he can be the CM and keep it together.
                He's a provisional CM for the next couple of weeks unless he can pass the floor test

The digging up of late is because they are laying gas lines. So after that is finished some one else shows up to lay electric lines. The result is some areas are difficult to cross for many weeks on end.

Internet is very slow, so will watch the video later. But, only in Cherrapunji and Mawsynram, there is like 24*365 rains, not every place. Monsoon is shit, this I have to say. I don't know, why NE tourism doesn't get promoted as "Come and enjoy disaster floods, hurricanes and landslides", or in a more serious note "Monsoon Tourism". Will be great for writers, novelists and such getting trapped in a resort/hotel and doing his work amid all the rains and zero noise. Food is good too depending upon tastebuds. Dog, barking deer, soft-shell tortoise, ghost pepper and the likes. For vegetarians there are some good options too like broiler chicken, eggs and fish.
                The part about it raining for days on end is the surprise.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 17 May 18,, 23:08.

Comment

Yes, its a type of LCD screen tech. The other is IPS and variants thereof. Primary difference is TN can't get as bright and has poorer viewing angles. If you use you screen head on as usual there won't be much of an issue. It's when viewing from an angle that colour shifts and brightness varies unlike with IPS. So if there were people sitting either side of you the colour and brightness will vary than if viewing head on.

The slam is Apple hasn't replaced the TN panel with IPS but till charges or did charge a grand for the Air when it came out last year
                  I can't find more information about the display, if it is TN or IPS. Anyway, my basic purpose is solved. My cousin downloaded Infinity War from somewhere and wanted to see it my my Macbook. Shouted him out of the house. :D

We are connected to the grid bur apparently we don't have the transmission capacity to utilise central power which means the end result is its as if we weren't connected to the central grid.
                  Seems what you are saying is true, although I read sometime earlier that Karnataka's grid wasn't connected to the Surplus Central grid. Piyal Goyal (as Power Minister) did say that Karnataka can buy more coal and speed up power generation, Shivakumar didn't follow it through. Congress is all talk, no action. Does it take 5 years to make the grid capable of being connected to the Central grid and draw power?

Boiling is fine or even if it went through an Aquaguard. Nobody boils, Aquaguard is about it if there is one. Viruses cannot survive for long outside a living organism. Bacteria however are capable of surviving quite well. Boiling will get rid of most of them i'm not sure about ice though.
                  Ice probably won't kill all. Still it's better if ice is not mixed, specially for western tourists. Normal mango milk shake should be fine.

He's a provisional CM for the next couple of weeks unless he can pass the floor test

The digging up of late is because they are laying gas lines. So after that is finished some one else shows up to lay electric lines. The result is some areas are difficult to cross for many weeks on end.
                  Not digging up of late. It's almost a decade old observation. And it's corruption. I can't believe the Engineers in various departments don't talk to each other, if they don't, they should. It's taxpayers money after all. Corruption rules India.

The part about it raining for days on end is the surprise.
                  Yeah. Morning 4:40 AM, there was a loud noise and off went electricity, I thought the transformer got kaput. Found out just now, that a pigeon got fried, and electricity came after like 2 hours. Not so backward as I thought. :D
                  Last edited by Oracle; 18 May 18,, 05:39.

Comment

I can't find more information about the display, if it is TN or IPS. Anyway, my basic purpose is solved. My cousin downloaded Infinity War from somewhere and wanted to see it my my Macbook. Shouted him out of the house. :D
                    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-....230010.0.html

Seems what you are saying is true, although I read sometime earlier that Karnataka's grid wasn't connected to the Surplus Central grid. Piyal Goyal (as Power Minister) did say that Karnataka can buy more coal and speed up power generation, Shivakumar didn't follow it through. Congress is all talk, no action. Does it take 5 years to make the grid capable of being connected to the Central grid and draw power?
                    Same article with Piyush says transmission capacity isn't sufficient. The electricity company is a cash cow and the profits are skimmed off for other purposes. Thing is BJP isn't any better, they had a term but that ended in acrimony

Not digging up of late. It's almost a decade old observation. And it's corruption. I can't believe the Engineers in various departments don't talk to each other, if they don't, they should. It's taxpayers money after all. Corruption rules India.
                    Oh! you mean building a road that isn't to spec and having to rebuild it again in a couple of years if not later because they got the job by under bidding. They don't talk to each other because they don't know when the funds will be available and when they are they rush to finish the job. There is no coordination.

With the Tender SURE project the corporators howled because specs had to be followed and the bidding process was transparent. The roads built under this project are good they just take close to a year to complete
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 18 May 18,, 12:40.

Comment

I meant I could not see the IPS information anywhere in the Mac. Probably because it is not there. Here in this small town, retailers were selling junk windows laptop for prices above 50K, it didn't made any sense. If I had to invest anything close to $1000, then it had to be worth it. I was spending close to 1 hour every day for 5 months, until I decided to buy this entry level piece of hardware.

Same article with Piyush says transmission capacity isn't sufficient. The electricity company is a cash cow and the profits are skimmed off for other purposes. Thing is BJP isn't any better, they had a term but that ended in acrimony
                      Yeah, read that. Both BJP and Congress are opposite sides of the same coin. The team at Delhi is honest and capable, Congress doesn't even have that.

Oh! you mean building a road that isn't to spec and having to rebuild it again in a couple of years if not later because they got the job by under bidding. They don't talk to each other because they don't know when the funds will be available and when they are they rush to finish the job. There is no coordination.

With the Tender SURE project the corporators howled because specs had to be followed and the bidding process was transparent. The roads built under this project are good they just take close to a year to complete
                      I don't know. I mean I know about tender sure projects. But where I see corruption, you see lack of co-ordination.

Comment

For 15 years I have been using Colin to clean my laptop screen & keyboard. Seems that is not the right material. I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct? Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
                        Last edited by Oracle; 24 May 18,, 14:06.

Comment

For 15 years I have been using Colin to clean my laptop screen & keyboard. Seems that is not the right material. I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct? Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
                          Microfiber and 91% isopropyl alcohol works well. The less water in the isopropyl alcohol, the better. Evaporates very quickly, much faster than e.g. 70% isopropyl and ethanol blends, and avoids potential problems with corrosion to any metal components in the event some seeps through a keyboard or gap. There's hardly no water left behind after the evaporation takes place.

It also disinfects the surfaces you clean on the laptop as well. Keyboards and screens can easily become hubs for all types of bacteria, and isopropyl solves that problem well.

Three birds, one stone.

I just use round cotton pads and 91% isopropyl myself. Leaves a little lint behind on the monitor and keyboard, but after the isopropyl evaporates, I just blow it off with a can of compressed air. I need to use the compressed air anyways to get crumbs and detritus out from beneath the keyboard, and dust out from the fan ducts and processor on the bottom of my laptop, so the lint left behind from cotton pads isn't an issue for me.
                          Last edited by Ironduke; 24 May 18,, 17:22.

Comment

I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct?
                            Absolutely, i use this

https://www.amazon.in/Softspun-Micro.../dp/B01AY49GXS

there is another less fluffy one that looks like this

https://www.amazon.in/Carstudio-Micr.../dp/B00TDGYVIE

Generally speaking, the one that is more fluffy removes fingerprints better. i use this with a phone too and its excellent. Also for general purpose cleaning around the house. These cloths absorb dust rather than the usual cleaning cloths that just redistribute it some where else (!)

I have many of these clothes and they go into the washer when done. Use liquid detergent only with these cloths at 60° C, powder detergent is bad for them

These are non targeted generic products used in the car industry for detailing. I don't even know what that word means but they are cheaper and of better quality than if you bought them from the computer section

Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
                            Not necessary and its recommended you don't use any alcohol to clean, only to disinfect, if you must. How many people use your gear, where've their hands been...

Just plain water or a drop of dish wash detergent like Pril mixed in water is good enough

I use these cloths dry on my laptop at least once a day and the same with phones. No water used at all unless i splashed something on the screen

Looks brand new when done
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 24 May 18,, 19:15.

Comment

Absolutely, i use this

https://www.amazon.in/Softspun-Micro.../dp/B01AY49GXS

there is another less fluffy one that looks like this

https://www.amazon.in/Carstudio-Micr.../dp/B00TDGYVIE

Generally speaking, the one that is more fluffy removes fingerprints better. i use this with a phone too and its excellent. Also for general purpose cleaning around the house. These cloths absorb dust rather than the usual cleaning cloths that just redistribute it some where else (!)

I have many of these clothes and they go into the washer when done. Use liquid detergent only with these cloths at 60° C, powder detergent is bad for them

These are non targeted generic products used in the car industry for detailing. I don't even know what that word means but they are cheaper and of better quality than if you bought them from the computer section

Not necessary and its recommended you don't use any alcohol to clean, only to disinfect, if you must. How many people use your gear, where've their hands been...

Just plain water or a drop of dish wash detergent like Pril mixed in water is good enough

I use these cloths dry on my laptop at least once a day and the same with phones. No water used at all unless i splashed something on the screen

Looks brand new when done
                              So, I can clean my Macbook screen with it and there will be no scratches? And the keyboard too? I read somewhere that microfiber cloth should be washed only in cold water without any washing powder. I have a liquid something at home that is used to wash woollen clothes, can I use it to wash the microfiber cloth? When should I wash the cloth, like after how many uses?

How many times/days can I use the cloth? And I have seen the products in Amazon, says for cleaning car windows etc, and you're saying it does the work better than the ones from the computer section?

Thanks (Ironduke/DE), I am glad I asked.

Comment

So, I can clean my Macbook screen with it and there will be no scratches? And the keyboard too?
                                The cloth itself won't scratch anything because its softer than either the screen or the keyboard. What will scratch both is if it has any sand trapped in the cloth. More of an issue if you live in a dry desert area i'd have thought, not the NE

The cloth i have is 14 inches square. Fold it once and again. You now have eight quarter size surfaces to clean with. Make sure you don't use the same quarter the next time you clean. Once you go through all eight, wash it. I don't bother with this because if you give it a once over every day or two there will be no dust to begin with. Most of the time i'm removing finger prints

I read somewhere that microfiber cloth should be washed only in cold water without any washing powder. I have a liquid something at home that is used to wash woollen clothes, can I use it to wash the microfiber cloth? When should I wash the cloth, like after how many uses?
                                Hotter water makes the fibres open up and cleans them better. Best to follow the washing instructions, some can handle hotter temperatures than others. I usually add some vinegar in the conditioner tray to fluff them up. This is with washing over ten of these cloths.

Godrej eazee is used for woolens because it has no enzymes. Detergents like Ariel & Surf have enzymes to assist in cleaning, these enzymes will eat natural fibres like wool. So its advised to use a special detergent when cleaning woolens. Micro fibre isn't a natural fibre, its artificial. You could use a woolen detergent with it or surf liquid. Thing is a woolen detergent is designed to activate at colder temperatures, i'm not sure how well it works at 60 degrees. Can't hurt to try and then compare

How many times/days can I use the cloth? And I have seen the products in Amazon, says for cleaning car windows etc, and you're saying it does the work better than the ones from the computer section?

Thanks (Ironduke/DE), I am glad I asked.
                                I have no complaints with the cloths i use and would heartily recommend them not just for cleaning tech devices but general cleaning as well. I use microfiber cloths to dry veg & fruits and even dishes and hands as they absorb more water than regular dish cloths. I use a new one every week. For general dusting i use even bigger cloths and fold them as mentioned earlier. You'd be amazed how much dust gets picked up from what appears clean to start with. This is helpful if there are people with allergies around as its mostly dust that gets kicked up every time the fan comes on

Suggest you buy just one and try out different ones then you will get an idea of which works better. I'd say these cloths are good up to a hundred washes. Best not let them get too dirty. Given i only wash a load every couple of months it will be many years by the time they are done
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 25 May 18,, 18:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X