X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Captain,

I have been using this in my games without knowing it

Anyway, wouldn't a minefield give the same results without risking lives?
    First you need to have those mines.You also need to integrate them in your defense plan.Shooting the enemy in the kill zone is more effective.You also need to shoot the enemy engineers.And you can't move them elsewhere.

It helps,but alone is not decisive.You have time for games.What games?
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Captain,

I have been using this in my games without knowing it
      Then you must have been a warrior in your past life for sure...

Anyway, wouldn't a minefield give the same results without risking lives?
      Nope...one, you cannot lay a minefield at every place.
      two, for a mine field to be effective you need to have depth and covered by fire (use them to channel the enemy into your kill zone).
      three, for an enemy like us - we are trained to charge through a minefield without clearing it (while assaulting an objective). Cas rate is 3-4%....if we have armour, then we plow through and make safe lanes, and inf follows through, the sappers come and do a more permanent job.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• How does today's technoloy help with the recon battle? Does satellite coverage and aerial recon change the rules of warfare as we know it?

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
          Then you must have been a warrior in your past life for sure...
          Nah. I hate the casualties, but I guess they are lower then just waiting for the bigger army to clean me city by city.

Nope...one, you cannot lay a minefield at every place.

two, for a mine field to be effective you need to have depth and covered by fire (use them to channel the enemy into your kill zone).
          I never said I would place them everywhere. Was only wondering if they could have been utilized by PA in order to minimize the cas rate from recce battles. That's all.

three, for an enemy like us - we are trained to charge through a minefield without clearing it (while assaulting an objective). Cas rate is 3-4%....if we have armour, then we plow through and make safe lanes, and inf follows through, the sappers come and do a more permanent job.
          Hope you didn't learn from the Soviets (Tramplers in WW2).
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            How does today's technoloy help with the recon battle? Does satellite coverage and aerial recon change the rules of warfare as we know it?
            Fundamentally,no.It's still a matter of killing the scouts first and avoid being seen.We have limited experience of conflict between modern and proficient forces.The Colonel knows better,but IIRC,the satellites were planned to go down in any WW3 scenario.
            In 2006,Hezb managed to avoid Israeli aerial recon by doing the old stuff properly.Get beneath the ground and use proper camo.In 2008,it was a bit of an anomaly.Russian paras moved faster than the Georgians were able to use the advantage of permanent aerial surveillance.But one of the things they thought about in their post-war reforms was the idea of giving maneuver units their own miniature airforce,first as combat motorized hang-gliders.Though my guess,we'll eventually see mini-UCAVs protecting ground troops.
            Besides the active measures,we have new camo,both for vehicles and personnel,that prevent detection in thermal spectre.
            The race never stops.
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Russian paras were faster then the Georgian airforce?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• You make it sound like a Radio Erevan joke

There is a thing called the OODA (observation,orientation,decision,action)loop.What the russians achieved was to move faster than the Georgian HQ could analyze the situation,plan a response and re-deploy.And the most important thing,the Georgian troops that could have executed that plan were routed.It matters little if you see the hit,if you can't react.

The trick is that the Georgians sent their Btn CO's at schools in Germany,AFTER the war.During the war they saw dozens of Russian airplanes,when and where there were a couple or none.No surprise here,some idiots saw Lybian helicopters in our show with ourselves in 89.Panic.

Comment

• I know I did. Radio Erevan is very common in all ex Soviet influenced countries it seems.

If you cause panic and disarray in enemy lines you can move with the speed of a snail and still win. No amount of tech will change that. My guess is, it will only make it worse.

Comment

• Dok,it's better to get them fast.There were many battles lost or not won decisevely,because a Warrior was found in the ranks of the losers.If a Georgian Captain or Major,with 30 determined men would have stood at the entrance of Gori,pistol in hand and willing to shoot everyone uttering a peep,a blocking position gets created.It's not yet a prepared defense,not even a hasty one,but it's still good enough for a delaying action.

How nasty delaying actions can be when you're in a hurry,the Colonel said it better

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                      How does today's technoloy help with the recon battle? Does satellite coverage and aerial recon change the rules of warfare as we know it?
                      Yes satellite and aerial recce does help, but one of the most important factors today is SIGINT. Radio traffic helps us to triangulate transmission locations, this gives you the HQs, with the identified grid ref you can get the layout of the whole enemy formation. So you already know where the enemy is sitting.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yes satellite and aerial recce does help, but one of the most important factors today is SIGINT. Radio traffic helps us to triangulate transmission locations, this gives you the HQs, with the identified grid ref you can get the layout of the whole enemy formation. So you already know where the enemy is sitting.
                        Dont most big militaries use spread spectrum frequency hopping radios these days? So tracking them would be more difficult.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• After reading the entire thread taking turns and halts... I sill have few question.. Maybe these were answered earlier but would still like someone to point them out to me,

1. WHAT IF Nixon DID succeed in stopping IA from liberating Bangladesh?
                          2. IF the above was accomplished at the cost of India losing some part of it's land either on the western border or on the eastern border. How would have it affected the modern history of India ?
                          3. Will India be another country like the one's in South America who oppose the US of A ?

Please don't mind if my questions sound silly because I would love to know the answers for the above questions...

Comment

Depends on the situation.If it comes to assaulting prepared defenses,I won't count on SIGINT too much.The enemy has time to lay land lines,he'll use couriers,etc... The Iraqi command structure survived in OIF,at least for a while.Hezb's in 2006 was hardly touched.Any SIGINT in such a scenario is just as likely to be part in their deception plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                              Dont most big militaries use spread spectrum frequency hopping radios these days? So tracking them would be more difficult.
                              All that only helps to prevent tapping of the converstion/ message, but the location emitting the signals remains the same. It is this location that is identified and registered.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                                Depends on the situation.If it comes to assaulting prepared defenses,I won't count on SIGINT too much.The enemy has time to lay land lines,he'll use couriers,etc... The Iraqi command structure survived in OIF,at least for a while.Hezb's in 2006 was hardly touched.Any SIGINT in such a scenario is just as likely to be part in their deception plan.
                                That is ok, my job is to identify the enemy location with SIGINT and that has been. The fact that the enemy has laid out a good defence plan is another matter.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X