X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The updated BBC story.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42820151

Comment

The last paragraph of that one is what's considered relevant over here. We were basically trying to use these upgrades as some bait for Turkey to release its German hostages... err, "terrorist suspects" that it has been arresting since the coup.

The problem for Germany is that any fight between Turks and Kurds - and any escalation of it - isn't just limited to Turkey or Syria. It goes down in German towns.
      http://www.dw.com/en/turkeys-attack-...any/a-42277087
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-airport.html

(and for some Turkish propaganda: https://www.yenisafak.com/en/world/p...ermany-3003111 )

Comment

Germany
        Huge turnout for Kurdish rally in Cologne

Thousands of demonstrators have taken to the streets in the western German city to protest Turkey's ground war in Syria. Police attempted to break up the march after they saw banned militant flags in the crowd.

Kurdish Germans and their supporters turned out by the tens of thousands in the city of Cologne on Saturday to protest Turkey's military intervention in northern Syria.
        The anti-war protests were relatively peaceful, though sporadic clashes broke out between the 20,000 demonstrators and police over the use of flags depicting Abdullah Ocalan, the leader of the militant Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). Disputes over the contested flag led to at least three arrests.

Cologne has seen a number of pro-Kurdish rallies in recent months, but Saturday's was the first called in direct response to the Turkish government's decision to join the ground war in Syria near the city of Afrin, a Kurdish area with little to no "Islamic State" (IS) presence.
        Hundreds of Kurdish fighters have since been killed in Afrin, causing Germany's Kurdish umbrella group NAV-DEM to call the nationwide protests.
        "Long live Apo," read some of the banners, referencing the imprisoned Ocalan. Although flags representing Ocalan/the PKK were explicitly banned, there was some confusion over whether demonstrators could carry flags supporting the mostly Kurdish Syrian militia known as YPG.
        Arguments between protesters and police over their use of flags prompted police to order a stop to the march when it was only halfway through its planned route in downtown Cologne, with huge tanks for water cannons at the ready.
        "Long live international solidarity!" the crowd chanted, as some of the 2,000 police on duty attempted to break up the rally, threatening to issue fines to the anti-war demonstrators who refused to disperse.
        Left party lawmaker Katja Kipping wrote on Twitter that as she prepared to take the stage, "the electricity's been turned off, the stage blocked. Banned from giving a speech against Erdogan's war in Afrin."
        http://www.dw.com/en/huge-turnout-fo...gne/a-42333978

So.... here's the Turkish version of that article:

PKK supporters gather in Germany's Cologne to protest Afrin operation

Hundreds of PKK sympathizers took to the streets of Cologne on Saturday in protest of Turkey's Operation Olive Branch in northwestern Syria, as German officials warned against tensions.
        The protest, which organizers expect to see up to 20,000 participants, comes a week after Turkish special forces and the Free Syrian Army (FSA) launched a counter-terror operation targeting PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists in Syria's Afrin region.
        "Freedom for Kurdistan" and "Shame on you, Europe!" read some of the pro-PKK placards in the western German city.
        As the protest got under way, police put the number of demonstrators at 1,000, while an AFP journalist put the figure at several thousand.

[...]
        https://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...frin-operation
        Last edited by kato; 27 Jan 18,, 21:22.

Comment

Personally I think it is time we seriously consider the creation of a Unified Kurdistan encompassing regions of South East Turkey, Northern Iraq, North Eastern Syria and Eastern Iran. It could potentially become a strong force for moderation in the area. I have lost any hope in Turkey under Erdogan so perhaps a new secular state is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            Personally I think it is time we seriously consider the creation of a Unified Kurdistan encompassing regions of South East Turkey, Northern Iraq, North Eastern Syria and Eastern Iran. It could potentially become a strong force for moderation in the area. I have lost any hope in Turkey under Erdogan so perhaps a new secular state is needed.
            Due to circumstances, I have to agree with Snapper.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              Due to circumstances, I have to agree with Snapper.
              That would mean going to war with Turkey and Iraq.

The Kurds are the new Israel but for the time being they have to hold tight.

Comment

I think it would be easier to actually just invade Turkey and remove Erdogan. We'd have to fight Turkey anyways, without having to worry about Iran, Syria, and Iraq at the same time.

Comment

Which would cause Iran, Iraq, Syria to form an alliance with Turkey and make common cause, resulting in the squandering of Kurdish gains in what autonomy they do have, rather than extending it. Half a loaf of bread is better than none.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I tell to the ones who talk about going war against Turkey...

one does not need enemies with friends like you.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post

We're not going to war over Kurdistan.
                      Chimo

Comment

I seem to recall there a truce with the PKK for some time which Erdogan declared over. Every dictator needs an imaginary 'enemy' of course; Jews/Kurds/Gulenists/Baderite fascists/gays/the CIA/aliens... take your pick. Erdogan needs the 'Kurdish enemy' story from only he can save the Turks while he fills his family's pockets. Wasn't it his son in law that involved in that park business in Instanbul? I certainly do not advocate war with Turkey though I hope the Turkish people rid themselves of Erdogan.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post

Its just a hypothetical in response to the 'create Kurdistan by annexing the land of 4 countries at the same time' comment. I certainly don't support going to war with Turkey, at least as long as Erdogan doesn't go off the deep end and fire on the US troops in Manbij.

Comment

He's downed a Russian jet. Putin let it slide

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              He's downed a Russian jet. Putin let it slide

Putin ain't The Donald.

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                                Putin ain't The Donald.

:)
                                See post #25