Old Tech vs New Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Was riding an express bus home from downtown St. Paul the other day.

Saw a girl across from me reading a book on a Kindle, and she had a smartwatch on.

Meanwhile, I was reading Poul Anderson's Starship, which I found in the free book pile in the main building at the county dump, after I'd dumped a bunch of garbage into the compactor.

My book was free, and when I've finished it, I'll leave it in one of those free book stands a lot of people keep next to their mailboxes nowadays.

I don't have to plugin my book to charge its battery, or worry about it getting deleted, or the platform becoming obsolete, or getting a cracked screen, or anything else that can go wrong with a Kindle. And unlike with a Kindle, somebody else gets to read it when I'm done with it.

I'm wearing a Casio Men's W800H-1AV.

My watch:
    • tells me what day of the week it is
    • tells me the date, month, and year
    • tells me what time it is, to the hours, minutes, and seconds
    • with the press of a button, goes from 12h to 24h
    • can have two time zones programmed
    • has an alarm
    • has an LED light button to see the time at night
    • has been configured to be within a tenth of a second accurate to atomic clock time
    • 10-year battery life, water-resistant to 100m
    • cost $20 ($2 per year)

I don't know about everybody else, but I'll take Poul Anderson's Starship (free from the county dump) and a $20 Casio digital watch over a Kindle and smartwatch.
    No .

Don't know about the smart watch but I much prefer my tablet (not Kindle) over a book.

You lug a book around and thats all you can read, or carry more bulky books with you.
    My TAB-3 has over 300 books downloaded on it. And probably 3/4 of them were free. There are many online legal places that offer free books to download.

The big advantage for me is all my reference books. I can zoom in on a picture/diagram with a movement of my finger.

And when I get tired of reading or read something interesting that I want to know more about, My tablet has chrome installed and various other apps (weather, world time zone clock, an office suite, camera) so that I can do something productive while waiting.
    Or i can just play Bubble Witch.

Bought mine in 2014 haven't looked back.

The best one concerning books is, In Florida you are suppose to have the relevant code books on the job site. What use to be a big stack of space eating stuff, and making sure I had what the building inspector would want to see is now just a couple of PDF files

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      My every day appliances minus the 1950's Toastmaster toasters and GE steam irons. Nothing newer than 1973 I believe.
      If it still works, keep using the damn thing! My minor kitchen appliances are all new, but that's because I got them when I got married 4 or 5 years ago. You have a few decades on me!

Also, to further GG, a Kindle paperwhite is definitely on my list of things to buy, for all the reasons he said. My old Kindle was small enough I could slide it into my backpocket, and the backlight allows you to read anything easily, even if you're sitting on a beach. That thing is incredible.
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        No .

Don't know about the smart watch but I much prefer my tablet (not Kindle) over a book.

You lug a book around and thats all you can read, or carry more bulky books with you.
        My TAB-3 has over 300 books downloaded on it. And probably 3/4 of them were free. There are many online legal places that offer free books to download.

The big advantage for me is all my reference books. I can zoom in on a picture/diagram with a movement of my finger.
        If I had to carry a bunch of bulky reference books around with me, I'd probably get one too.

A sci-fi paperback only weighs a few ounces, I get them for free, and I carry a men's weekender travel bag with me when I go to work, to carry my tools, stuff I need, and when I go shopping. I don't use a car when I'm working/shopping in the metro, so everything I get or take with me goes in that, slung from my shoulder.

The paperback isn't burdensome to carry around. The Kindle would be more burdensome.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Some random musings:

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          There was just as much shoddy stuff being made then as there is now, but all the crap from decades ago has been disposed of and forgotten while the fewer unique, and well made things soldier on.
          I have a deep fryer that's now around 20 years old. If it ever fails i can go to a nearby supermarket and buy the exact same model (!) for the exact same price (!) i paid back then. Seriously. I just saw it again there yesterday.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          Fridge is around 200lt and consumes just under 300W, could work even off the 6A. Newer frost free fridges with an inverter consume less than half of that unless the defrost cycle is running
          Half? The fridge i bought last year is 165 liters and consumes under 20W (the manual states average 160 kWh/year). Bought that one after the previous East-German pre-mid-80s unit i had didn't survive me stabbing it.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            Half? The fridge i bought last year is 165 liters and consumes under 20W (the manual states average 160 kWh/year). Bought that one after the previous East-German pre-mid-80s unit i had didn't survive me stabbing it.
            Which one is it ? and have you done any power measurements

With LG's its around 90W if the door isn't opened, if it is then it can go up to 165W and even 232W during a defrost cycle. Measured with a watt meter, one that does RMS

Bear in mind your ambent temperature is a good ten degrees lower than mine and the figures i'm quoting are for some one who lives in a ten degrees warmer place than me

That's about 10-20 degrees C difference with doors being opened too

160kWh/y doing what ? lab conditions i bet : )

How much is that, an average of just under 30W, seems kinda low
            Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Jun 18,, 23:14.

Comment

Which one is it ?
              It's a Bomann/Clatronic KG320.1, i.e. a rebranded product made by some random company in the Ningbo Industrial Park in China.

And yeah, the 160 kWh are lab conditions. Straight from the manual.

Bear in mind your ambent temperature is a good ten degrees lower than mine
              The thermometer 1m from the fridge says 29°C right now. In the middle of the night. ; )

Comment

It's a Bomann/Clatronic KG320.1, i.e. a rebranded product made by some random company in the Ningbo Industrial Park in China.

It looks nice and has a big freezer at the bottom

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Frost-Free-.../dp/B06XQHSZSP

One i looked at a while back is bigger and power consumption here is 202 kwH/yr

These figures sound a bit incredible. What they do to get that A++ ratings

But if i replaced my old fridge with a new one the savings would take about ten years to make back and the new one would be dead by then

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...-in-appliances

Comment

It looks nice and has a big freezer at the bottom

https://www.amazon.de/Bomann-KG-320-.../dp/B06Y2TVW9Y

One i looked at a while back is bigger and power consumption here is 202 kwH/yr

These figures sound a bit incredible. What they do to get that A++ ratings

But if i replaced my old fridge with a new one the savings would take about ten years to make back and the new one would be dead by then

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...-in-appliances

Comment

A CRT tv & refrigerator that needs a regular defrost. The techs told me they can maintain these two indefinitely
                    I don't think anyone makes CRT tubes anymore

I was on incandescent bulbs until very recently and its only when i had to think of a home UPS did i get forced to switch over to LED for efficiency so longer backup in a brownout. Colour rendering index with an incandescent beats LED as colours are more accurate which in turn is better than fluoresecent. The cost an LED bulb is twenty times that of an incandescent, light direction tends to be mostly down and the ceiling is a little darker than earlier. I've got used to it since though
                    I think the problem most people have with LED bulbs is that they are use to going to the hardware store/walmart and grabbing a package of incandescent bulbs in the size they need. No thinking required.

LEDs are a bit different. Incandescent bulbs were normally "Soft white". (a bit of a yellow glow) and you picked the wattage as to how bright you wanted.
                    You can get the same thing in LED but the key is to check the lumens index. a 60watt bulb is 800 lumens. But the wattage will vary. You can have pick up a pack of LED bulbs that shows 9 watts and it can put out anywhere (going off the Incandescent scale) between 40 watts up to 75 watts. SO you can no longer go to the store and grab say a 8 watt pack of bulbs and always expect to get the same output from every package.

We have to train ourselfs to check Lumens on the package instead of watts

I looked in a dept store the other day and all the LEDs were "Daylight". Which gives it that sharp, bright light.

When I buy LED lights, I go to an electrical supply store and tell them what I want and let them pull the product that suits my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                      21A for an entire house? Your fridge would be already eating a good chunk of that.
                      His quote confused me also. But I think India runs 240Volts as standard compared to our 120. But still 40amps doesn't go far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        If I had to carry a bunch of bulky reference books around with me, I'd probably get one too.

A sci-fi paperback only weighs a few ounces, I get them for free, and I carry a men's weekender travel bag with me when I go to work, to carry my tools, stuff I need, and when I go shopping. I don't use a car when I'm working/shopping in the metro, so everything I get or take with me goes in that, slung from my shoulder.

The paperback isn't burdensome to carry around. The Kindle would be more burdensome.
                        Just upgraded to a Samsung Tab E. The same time I bought it I also purchased the hardcover version of Stephen Kings "The outsider". LengthXWidth is close to the same same for both 9 1/2" X 6" for the tablet. 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 for the book.
                        But the book is 2 inches thick. The tablet is 1/4 inch thick. Weight is close but the tablet is slightly heavier. It weights 1 lb. Less space in the book bag and more flexible. If you were worried about the battery going dead, and you would have to read for a very long time for that to happen. A portable power supply (battery)is about the size of a pack of cigarettes

Comment

Just upgraded to a Samsung Tab E. The same time I bought it I also purchased the hardcover version of Stephen Kings "The outsider". LengthXWidth is close to the same same for both 9 1/2" X 6" for the tablet. 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 for the book.
                          But the book is 2 inches thick. The tablet is 1/4 inch thick. Weight is close but the tablet is slightly heavier. It weights 1 lb. Less space in the book bag and more flexible. If you were worried about the battery going dead, and you would have to read for a very long time for that to happen. A portable power supply (battery)is about the size of a pack of cigarettes
                          I read paperbacks. I don't read anything with a hardcover. I get them for free from places such as little free libraries, and piles from a certain county dump.

I only keep 3-5 books at a time, and get rid of them when I'm done with them, by the same means through which I got them. Somebody else then gets a free book, just like I did.

I have absolutely no need for a Kindle. Why spend hundreds of dollars of perfectly good money on a piece of technology that needs to be charged, and will eventually break, stop working, or become obsolete? Books are free, the ones I read weigh mere ounces, and I don't need to worry about a battery.
                          Last edited by Ironduke; 14 Jun 18,, 15:07.

Comment

I used to have a Note 10, it was nice for the four years i had it. As for ebooks, there are some on archive.org. What i noticed when reading pdfs on a tab, especially ones that are scanned can be challenging for a mobile device. A laptop from five years prior would be fine. You'd see this lag as you dragged across the screen and waited for it to render. The only way to get things snappy was to reize the scans, make your own pdf and then things worked fine on mobile

His quote confused me also. But I think India runs 240Volts as standard compared to our 120. But still 40amps doesn't go far.
                            Yes 240, i clarified further here

There are two circuits. Heating an lighting. Heating is on 15A and has outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms only. Each room has a 6A fuse for lighting and power points making for a total of 50A per floor
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Jun 18,, 07:25.

Comment

I don't think anyone makes CRT tubes anymore
                              Thomas Electronics

https://www.thomaselectronics.com/

Comment

There are two circuits. Heating an lighting. Heating is on 15A and has outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms only. Each room has a 6A fuse for lighting and power points making for a total of 50A per floor
                                They use 6A fuses for regular housing over there? Only know those from mobile homes over here. The default for housing here is a single 16A fuse per room at 230V (no separate circuits) plus 16A on the three-phase 400V for the kitchen.

What do you do if you want to plug in a vacuum cleaner for example - because mine for example already requires 7.5A at full power, and it's not exactly anything special...?

Comment

Working...
                                X