This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achtung Britisher

I've never understood the enormous need of the British in the mid forties to cancel all their research projects, destroy everything and hand the data carte blanche over to the Yanks; the m52 as an example.
    Can anyone shed light on the reasoning/impetus for this?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Money, or more specifically the lack of it. The country was completely bankrupt, to the extent that they were funding the government by selling the RN for scrap. The more you look into the situation, the more amazing it is that we actually managed to keep some research projects going (notably nuclear weapons through the Tube Alloys project and the V-bombers).
    Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
    Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      I've never understood the enormous need of the British in the mid forties to cancel all their research projects, destroy everything and hand the data carte blanche over to the Yanks; the m52 as an example.
      We tend to be Father Christmas to all..We make the "gifts" but recieve non:)

Comment

Originally posted by pdf27 View Post
        Money, or more specifically the lack of it. The country was completely bankrupt, to the extent that they were funding the government by selling the RN for scrap. The more you look into the situation, the more amazing it is that we actually managed to keep some research projects going (notably nuclear weapons through the Tube Alloys project and the V-bombers).
        I entirely agree. We have only recently finally paid off our debts for WW2.
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          We tend to be Father Christmas to all..We make the "gifts" but receive non:)
          Not entirely true ol sport ? we receive gifts galore from across the channel via the tunnel from our mon ami cousins ?

Comment

So you are returning the Kohinoor diamond that a certain Raja Dileep Singh gifted the Queen. ;)
            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by WhamBam View Post
              So you are returning the Kohinoor diamond that a certain Raja Dileep Singh gifted the Queen. ;)
              No problems , come and get it ,,,,, indian giver

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                No problems , come and get it ,,,,, indian giver
                Too busy this week. :)

Just send it by overnite. I will pay the courier charges. ;)
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Brits never recieved any gifts?

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                    Brits never recieved any gifts?
                    Read above posts ,,,, but if you want , we can send the gifts to you if you wish ?;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Read above posts ,,,, but if you want , we can send the gifts to you if you wish ?;)
                      We have list of stuff which dates from 1800's to 1947, plus we would also to have Maggie Tatcher too, we need politicans with some balls in this country.;)

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                        I entirely agree. We have only recently finally paid off our debts for WW2.
                        There's still the issue of the WWI debts. ;)
                        Historic debts

Yet for Dr Tim Leunig, lecturer in economic history at the LSE, it's no surprise that the UK chose to keep this low-interest loan going rather than pay it off early.

"Nobody pays off their student loan early, unless they are a nutter. Even if you've got the money to pay it off early, you should just put it in a bank and pocket the interest."

And if it seems strange to the non-economist that WWII debts are still knocking around after 60 years, there are debts that predate the Napoleonic wars. Dr Leunig says the government is still paying out on these "consol" bonds, because it is better value for taxpayers to keep paying the 2.5% interest than to buy back the bonds.

And while the UK dutifully pays off its World War II debts, those from World War I remain resolutely unpaid. And are by no means trifling. In 1934, Britain owed the US $4.4bn of World War I debt (about £866m at 1934 exchange rates). Adjusted by the Retail Price Index, a typical measure of inflation, £866m would equate to £40bn now, and if adjusted by the growth of GDP, to about £225bn.

"We just sort of gave up around 1932 when the interwar economy was in turmoil, currencies were collapsing," says Prof Harrison.

Nor were we alone. In 1931, US President Herbert Hoover announced a one-year moratorium on war loan repayments from all nations so the international community could properly discuss what it was going to do.
                        BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What's a little debt between friends?
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          They didn't have us (and the rest of the empire) to steal from anymore.
                          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

You can keep Mira Sayal and Sanjeev Kapoor

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                              They didn't have us (and the rest of the empire) to steal from anymore.
                              That is, without doubt, the most stupid statement I've seen on WAB.
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X