No announcement yet.

F/A-18 Super Hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking from far away, seems like a logical step, since whatever engagement RAAF will eventually have would include navy.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      Curious, why in bed with the USN? With all due respect to our squidly friends, their mission centers around fleet operations and power projection. In terms of an overall force, the USAF is better rounded.
      wait out, more detail coming in a PM to you and Jimmy in a few hours time
      Linkeden:
      http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
      http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Because the F-15SE is none of those things you mention. The TWR night be superior but that doesn't matter - once you load it out for strike it'll be quite heavy. And the F-35 will likely beat it in range because it features more comprehensive stealth, allowing it to cruise at higher altitudes where the F-15SE would have to fly lower altitude profiles. Those are probably minor points as well, since it's all about the package: Comprehensive stealth, modern computing infrastructure, sensor fusion, and all the new fun capabilities that ensure the F-35 will not be obsoleted anywhere near as soon as SuperHornet or a Silent Eagle.

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        Interestingly, with all of that said, the F-15SE looks like a more attractive offering; better T-to-W ratio, equivalent stealth characteristics, longer range, more flexible airframe, better avionics, etc.

I'm still scratching my head as to why the F-15SE hasn't garnered any international orders; granted, it's a legacy airframe, but people have been operating "upgraded" MiG-21's for decades now, why not the F-15?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33290[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
          wait out, more detail coming in a PM to you and Jimmy in a few hours time
          It is that secret?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            It is that secret?
            Not really. Its more of an issue that sometimes there are conversations better held away from the general forum, and in the case of Chogy and Jimmy, minimal conversation needed as they play in the space and will get the picture really quickly :)

I'm pretty sure most people don't care about how RAN and RAAF play
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Boeing Awarded to $1.94 Billion Contract for F/A-18 Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers

By RICHARD R. BURGESS, Managing Editor

ARLINGTON, Va. — The Navy has awarded to Boeing a production contract for 44 F/A-18E Super Hornet strike fighters and EA-18G Growler electronic attack aircraft in what may be the last run for the Super Hornet.

The $1.94 billion contract, awarded June 30 for fiscal 2014, will result in the production of 11 Lot 38 F/A-18Es and 21 EA-18Gs for the U.S. Navy and 12 EA-18Gs for the Royal Australian Air Force.

Unless additional orders for the F/A-18E/F are forthcoming from the U.S. or foreign governments, the contract will be the last for the Super Hornet, with the last jets rolling off the St. Louis production line in 2016.

Production of the EA-18G may be extended beyond 2016 if Congressional mark-ups of the 2015 National Defense Authorization bill or defense appropriations bill survive the budget process. The House Armed Services Committee has approved five Growlers, and the House Appropriations Committee has approved funds for 12 Growlers. The Navy has stated a requirement for 22 EA-18Gs in 2015 or beyond.

The Navy plans to stand up two additional expeditionary EA-18G squadrons and to increase the number of EA-18Gs per carrier-based squadron from five to seven if procurement levels allow.

Comment

• With these recent acquisitions of EA-18s does that mean the Next Generation Jammer is somewhere close to seeing the light of day? I was under the impression that it was still 4-5 years away at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                  With these recent acquisitions of EA-18s does that mean the Next Generation Jammer is somewhere close to seeing the light of day? I was under the impression that it was still 4-5 years away at this point.
                  Its likely still some distance away, typically the navy jammer aircraft is based on the older of the two carrier air-frames, the prowler is scheduled to leave the navy next year and the marines shortly after. Likely the growler will be the only EW aircraft in the navy for a few years until an f-35 version becomes available. Which isn't likely for at least a decade. (I don't know for sure I don't have any real sources on f-35 development let alone variant development with-in and its pretty certain it won't be much beyond conceptual until the air-frame itself is in service for a year or two)

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                    Its likely still some distance away, typically the navy jammer aircraft is based on the older of the two carrier air-frames, the prowler is scheduled to leave the navy next year and the marines shortly after. Likely the growler will be the only EW aircraft in the navy for a few years until an f-35 version becomes available. Which isn't likely for at least a decade. (I don't know for sure I don't have any real sources on f-35 development let alone variant development with-in and its pretty certain it won't be much beyond conceptual until the air-frame itself is in service for a year or two)
                    The "Next Generation Jammer" is a replacement for the AN/ALQ-99 electronic warfare system used on the Prowler and Growler, not an actual new jamming aircraft.

Comment

• Latest possible "triumph" for the F-18E/F/G Super Bug: Canada's getting backed into a corner vis-a-vis their next-gen fighter purchase; the F-35 is likely too far out (2018, at the earliest), and it may be too expensive to boot:

REPORT: Canada Narrows Its Fighter Choice To F-35 & Super Hornet
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        Latest possible "triumph" for the F-18E/F/G Super Bug: Canada's getting backed into a corner vis-a-vis their next-gen fighter purchase; the F-35 is likely too far out (2018, at the earliest), and it may be too expensive to boot:

REPORT: Canada Narrows Its Fighter Choice To F-35 & Super Hornet
                        If I was Canada, I would snap up the Super Hornet like hot cakes. Kind of a no-brainer.
                        Not that brains will always factor into defense procurement.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• I'd argue a Strike Eagle variant is a better fit, but they'll never want to switch logistics for that.

Comment

• 20 years vs 40 years arguement.
                            Chimo

Comment

• 200 miles vs 400 miles :)

Comment

• An updated F-15 would be the superior choice, but how often does Canada go for the superior choice?

Comment

Working...
                                X