Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more MIG and Sukhoi?

Sort of...

Apparently the 2 will join up in a single unit, at least for the combat aircraft...

UAC-29... UAC-27... sounds like names of drones...

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    Sort of...

Apparently the 2 will join up in a single unit, at least for the combat aircraft...

I'm surprised it took them this long honestly.

We've seen plenty of mergers in this area in the US in the last few decades and despite having a MUCH larger market, Lockheed and Boeing are about the only two that can realistically produce a modern fighter. Northrop and General Dynamics maaaybe?

I bet the T-50 project has opened some eyes about the major difficulty involved in trying to keep within shouting distance of the US in this area and the need for more resources behind such a project if it's actually going to deliver a competitive product.

Comment

You mean like Northrop-Grumman? Boeing McDonnell Douglass? North American Rockwell? Consolidated Vultee?

I'm showing my age...
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
        I'm surprised it took them this long honestly.

We've seen plenty of mergers in this area in the US in the last few decades and despite having a MUCH larger market, Lockheed and Boeing are about the only two that can realistically produce a modern fighter. Northrop and General Dynamics maaaybe?
        Same as with China, unless you stretch the definition of modern fighter to include ground attack and LIFTs with PESA radars.

I don't think General Dynamics can built combat aircraft anymore, since the only airframes I recall them building are Gulfstreams.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          You mean like Northrop-Grumman? Boeing McDonnell Douglass? North American Rockwell? Consolidated Vultee?

I'm showing my age...
          Join the veteran team. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I'm showing my age...
            You forgot Lockheed Vega :-)
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              You forgot Lockheed Vega :-)
              Which is a really confusing one, since there was a plane with the same name... made by Lockheed...

Comment

What about Bell? They built the ubiquitous UH-1 series.

Ling Temco Vought? They built that beautiful "light" bomb truck the A-7 Corsair II
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

And the old British Aerospace resulted from at least 7 companies...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                    Sort of...

Russia’s Industry and Trade Minister Denis Manturov earlier said that the MiG and Sukhoi brands would remain, even if a decision was made on the companies’ merger.
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X