Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44242558

Trump pulls out of North Korea summit

US President Donald Trump has cancelled a planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

He said he had made the decision based on the "tremendous anger and open hostility" in a recent North Korean statement.

Mr Trump said it would be "inappropriate" to hold the summit as scheduled in Singapore on 12 June.

In a letter to Mr Kim, he said he was very much looking forward to meeting him "some day".
    Last edited by Ironduke; 24 May 18,, 15:05.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
      snapper, wrong thread?
      Yes. My apologies.

Trumpkin has apparently pulled out of the Kim meeting. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558

Comment

aannnnd there goes the meeting.
        It could be postponed, never say never

Comment

• looks like The Only Chess Player in the Room forgot to inform his SK ally beforehand.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...to-kim-jong-un

"“We are attempting to make sense of what, precisely, President Trump means,” South Korean presidential spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said in a statement shortly after the news broke...South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that he was “very perplexed and sorry” that the summit had been canceled, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency."
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Trump torpedoes a summit that would likely have ended with Nth Korea making unreasonable demands & killing the entire process. And he fails to tell the one US ally to whom this is an existential issue. So is this 5D chess, or have we moved to the 6th dimension?
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              I was surprised that the letter took such a diplomatic tone, but of course he had to dedicate a few words assuring everyone that our guns are bigger.

I fear that a peace process may continue involving China and ROK, leaving the US out of the equation and impacting our influence in the region a la Syria.
              "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

looks like The Only Chess Player in the Room forgot to inform his SK ally beforehand.
                But how can that be? I heard the President say that he had talked to SKorea and Japan. And that they had agreed to pay for any American attack on NKorea if it comes to that

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8367306.html
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 25 May 18,, 16:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                  I was surprised that the letter took such a diplomatic tone, but of course he had to dedicate a few words assuring everyone that our guns are bigger.

I fear that a peace process may continue involving China and ROK, leaving the US out of the equation and impacting our influence in the region a la Syria.
                  Well except for the first paragraph being typical Trump. My balls are bigger than your balls and I can piss on your tree anytime I want.

Comment

• Full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44265287

Korean leaders meet in surprise summit

The leaders of North and South Korea have met in the demilitarised border area between the two countries.

The meeting is only the second between South Korea's Moon Jae-in and the North's Kim Jong-un.

It comes as the two sides continue efforts to put a historic US-North Korea summit back on track.

US President Donald Trump cancelled the summit, scheduled to be held in Singapore on 12 June, but later suggested it might still go ahead.

The latest talks were held on the northern side of the Panmunjom truce village, between 15:00 and 17:00 local time (06:00 and 08:00 GMT), Mr Moon's office said.

"Both leaders exchanged opinions... for the successful holding of the North Korea-US summit," it added, saying that Mr Moon would announce the outcome of the talks on Sunday morning.

In Washington, Trump administration spokeswoman Sarah Sanders confirmed that an advance team of White House and Department of State officials would leave for Singapore this weekend, as originally scheduled, to prepare for a possible summit there.

The talks between Mr Trump and Mr Kim, if they were to go ahead, would be focused on ways of denuclearising the Korean peninsula and reducing tensions.
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Apparently, when Trump does it it's OK, but not when Obama did it.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/polit...th-north-korea

All praise for The Trumpet's daring to offer to meet with Kim Jong-un, but remember: Obama loves dictators (he offered to meet ...)

I wish this surprised me.
                      I really do.
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• JMSDF Spots Suspected Chinese Ship Next To North Korean Tanker

TOKYO (AP) — Japan's Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that a Japanese navy surveillance aircraft has spotted a suspected Chinese-flagged ship apparently transferring fuel to a North Korean tanker on the open seas.

A ministry statement said that the two vessels were suspected of engaging in offshore ship-to-ship transfers banned under U.N. Security Council resolutions.

It said Japan has informed the U.N. Security Council of the May 19 sighting of the North Korean-flagged tanker, Ji Song 6, moored alongside the ship carrying a flag believed to be Chinese in open seas in the East China Sea.

Four photos taken by the Maritime Self-Defense Force were released, including two showing the ships alongside each other, connected by a hose.

The U.N. has blacklisted the North Korean tanker.

The disclosure of the alleged offshore transfer comes as preparations for an expected summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un appeared to be in their final stages.

U.N. sanctions on the North limit energy trade and ban offshore transfers of goods to North Korean ships as part of international efforts to pressure Pyongyang into giving up its nuclear weapons.

Japan and the U.S. have said the sanctions must be enforced strictly to be effective, and asked China in particular to tighten enforcement. Link

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that China is double-dealing!
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that China is double-dealing!
                          Wasn't that expected? China only understands the language of force. Japan instead, should have sunk the tanker.
                          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• You're going to start a multi $billion war over $500K of crude oil?
                            Chimo

Comment

• The appropriate question would be whether China wants a war trying to sneak in $500K of crude oil on high seas like a pirate drunk on cash. I know China needs to be cut down to size, I just can't figure out how.
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                The appropriate question would be whether China wants a war trying to sneak in $500K of crude oil on high seas like a pirate drunk on cash. I know China needs to be cut down to size, I just can't figure out how.
                                1) The UN authorized sanctions, not a blockade. So any attack on the open seas against a flagged vessel would be considered an Act of War by Japan.

2) The DPRK is sanctioned, not the PRC. That means if there is a target for illicit goods, it is in the North Korean vessel, not the Chinese vessel.

3) The US is now targetting the companies doing business with North Korea, ie the owners of that Chinese vessel and sanctioning them and others, including Russian companies doing bussiness (and that includes parent companies so that they can't get away with creating a holding company) with the DPRK. The question then becomes do these companies want to loose the American business or continue to highway rob the DPRK.

4) Do you want Trump to target Indian companies with military force for doing business with Iran?
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X