This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its here!!!

Finally, I received a phone call from an LS(SK)2 "Logistics Support" at the ships post office that I have a package.. yep, it's my book from Mr Landgraff.. WHOOO.. sucks that it's still during working hours and I can't read any of it yet.

Comment

I received mine last week and just got started. VERY interesting so far and I am sure it is only going to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by ATF83 View Post
        I received mine last week and just got started. VERY interesting so far and I am sure it is only going to get better.
        I'm still waiting on the mail for my copy. Wonder if the mail carrier snagged it

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          I'm still waiting on the mail for my copy. Wonder if the mail carrier snagged it
          Your autographed copy is in my truck waiting for you to join us at the VFW hall on South Street. I would hand deliver it if you emailed me your address. Besides, I want to take a look at your terrific vegetable garden again.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Your autographed copy is in my truck waiting for you to join us at the VFW hall on South Street. I would hand deliver it if you emailed me your address. Besides, I want to take a look at your terrific vegetable garden again.
            Geeze...... you asked me for my address through WAB and I sent it. The next
            day you asked for my address through email and I sent it.

This time of the year the Japanese eggplants are thriving and the California Wonder bell peppers are crap. First and last year for the California Wonder bell peppers. The grape tomato plants are producing slowly and I have hundreds of wild cherry tomato seedlings coming up everywhere. Do have a full tree of Japanese persimmons all ripe and feeding every bird in flying distance. And lastly I have bunches of Thai hot peppers and wild peppers (Chiltepins) which I just grow to look at because I like them but they don't like me.

Comment

I have bunches of Thai hot peppers and wild peppers (Chiltepins) which I just grow to look at because I like them but they don't like me.

Well, that's one more thing you and I have in common. Gotta research my emails. I really don't recall getting one with your address.

Comment

I am gonna ask my wife to get me your book for Christmas :)
                Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                  I am gonna ask my wife to get me your book for Christmas :)
                  Thank you very much.

Incidentally, I've been gloating over the 5 star reviews I have gotten on the book. However, they do point out a couple of glaring errors of mine and I would like to explain what happened.

First, I should have added the page numbers to each chapter and appendix. However, by the time I got the book properly converted into a PDF (thanks to CreateSpace help) even I didn't know what chapter would start on which page. When I got my proof copy, I should have added that in.

Next there were requests that I should have added an Index. This I intended to do but the size of the book would have increased the margins too much. I have more photos I wanted to put in and I wanted to do it in a larger size. The largest CreatSpace has is 8 X 10 and is limited to only 444 pages. I really wanted to do it in that size but it would have required two volumes to include the extra pages.

In the 7 X 10 format I could go up to 888 pages. As several friends of mine tried to convert my original 8 1/2 X 11 format in MS Word and MS Excel to a 7 X 10 PDF format, we ran into all kinds of problems.

Then I had a computer crash. The repair tech, however, was sympathetic enough to add on a couple of programs that would allow me to do the conversion itself.

Yeah. Sure. When I tried to reduce the Word and Excel copy to 7 X 10, it came out a fraction over. Then the CreateSpace requirement for margins of a book that size caused another restriction. So I had to delete a number of pictures to finally get it down to 534 pages but without an Index because the margins had to be 7/8".

Then when I "converted" to PDF, page sizes got all screwed up. Some were a bit less than 7 X 10 and others were 8 1/2 X 11. My attempts to correct the page sizes still wasn't satisfactory.

Fortunately, CreateSpace offered to have their technicians punch the right keys. When the proof copy arrived, I was so exasperated and pissed off at the computer I just told them to print it as is.

I should have proof read it more thoroughly as the file transfer made a couple of boo boos and I really should have had Ytlas do a proof reading. Problem with that is he found more ancient photo negatives that I really wanted to put in the book. Also they would have made a correction to Appendix B.

As I think I mentioned before, I selected CreateSpace (learned about it in a newspaper article) as it was an affordable way for me to finally get the book printed after 11 years of research, collecting memorabilia (matchbooks, photos, plaques), creating maps of the Naval Complex on Corel 8, creating diagrams on Corel 8 and verifying accounts of some of my co-workers.

For example, on the Pearl Harbor attack I was able to verify the experiences of two of my co-workers who were there and told them to me. However, an account told to me by another co-worker gave me some doubts and I excluded it as I wanted the book to be an historical record and not a bunch of scuttlebutt.

Again, I want to thank D.A.C., S.C. & J.L.J. for their reviews and others who have sent me personal emails congratulating me on the book.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    Problem with that is he found more ancient photo negatives that I really wanted to put in the book.
                    "Ancient Photo Negatives"

I like that. You are referring to the pictures taken just 2 years before you
                    hired into the yard. :)
                    Last edited by Ytlas; 16 Nov 09,, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                      "Ancient Photo Negatives"

I like that. You are referring to the pictures taken just 2 years before you
                      hired into the yard. :)
                      Well, when you put it THAT way --------------.

Comment

Wow, I recieved the book on Saturday and couldn't put it down, read the whole thing -- so much for the weekend... Wonderful, very readable, fun and enlightening!
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The Yellow Book arrived......

The Fed Ex man dropped the book off at the house last night and it now 3 AM. A very addictive book with candid recitals about the events revolving around the efforts to keep a fleet ready to return to sea for many decades and the men who made it so.

I've got to get some sleep.
                          " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Got my copy a few days ago and just started to try and read it. A 10 month old slows that down a bit. I knew I should have done that when I was younger. Now, if there were only one for Mare Island...

Comment

History of LBNSY

Rusty,

i am now starting a second and slower reading of your book.

You wrote about access to Terminal Island for motor vehicles p. 278 and provide maps of the yard pages 429 - 434.

The attached aerial of LBNSY illustrates the "double perimenter" to protect vessels from weather.

Question did LBNSY need subnets during WWII ?
                              Attached Files
                              " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Yes, the shipyard did have a torpedo net covering the entrance between the Mole and Pier J. It was tended by the USS Butternut (ANL 9 - orignially YAG 60) that was a class of ships built strictly for opening and closing torpedo/submarine nets at harbor entrances.

In the bottom photo of page 261 you can see in the distance how close the end of the Mole was where Pier J was just being built. It was an ideal location not requiring long nets but still wide enough and deep enough for our Carriers and Battleships to pass through.
                                Last edited by RustyBattleship; 24 Jan 10,, 19:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X