No announcement yet.

Syrian Civil War Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So 72 hrs? Quite an impressive arsenal no doubt about it.
    Last edited by Versus; 11 Apr 18,, 00:04.

Comment

• I don't care if the Muscovites and Iranians get rid of him - or hand him over for War Crimes trials or the West has to go in and get him. There can be no peace with a war criminal puppet President of Iran and Moscow.
      Plenty of the local islamist factions take foreign volunteers, you might want to get your visa paperwork in order though Turkey probably would turn a blind eye to your trip.
      Last edited by troung; 11 Apr 18,, 03:57.
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• More here: http://www.dw.com/en/emmanuel-macron...ria/a-43331358

Emmanuel Macron broaches possible French airstrikes on Syria

French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday that France would consult with the US and UK on whether to carry out military strikes on the Syrian regime's suspected chemical facilities.

Macron said France and its allies would decide "in the coming days" on what response to take. "Our decision will not target allies of the regime or attack anyone but rather attack the regime's chemical capabilities," he added, insisting he did "not want an escalation."

However, Macron said he wanted to issue a "strong and joint response" to Saturday's suspected chemical weapons attack on the Syrian rebel-held town of Douma, which activists and rescuers say killed at least around 40 people.

The use of chemical weapons in Syria, the French president reiterated, was a "red line" for France.

Macron's comments followed US President Donald Trump's promise on Monday that the US would issue a forceful response to the Douma attack, suggesting possible military action.

The regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and its key ally Russia have denied allegations from the West that it was behind the attack.

Saudi Arabia could be possible partner in Syria effort

Macron's remarks came on the back of talks with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Paris, in which the Saudi prince said Riyadh could be prepared to take part in military action in Syria, if it was called on by its allies.

"If our alliance with our partners requires it, we will be present," Prince Mohammed told reporters during a joint news conference alongside Macron, wrapping up a three-day Paris visit.

Earlier on Tuesday, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said the Kingdom wanted the US to remain involved in the Syria conflict. US President Donald Trump had prior to Saturday's attack announced his intention to pull US troops out of Syria in the near future.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          Yea they are rolling in too, expect attacks to commence in the next 48 hrs.

Comment

• Donald Trump has just declared war using Twitter. A first in the world I would presume.
            "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

• http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43727829

Trump warns Russia on Syria missile threat

US President Donald Trump has tweeted that Russia should "get ready" for missiles to be fired into Syria, in response to an alleged chemical attack at the weekend.

Senior Russian figures had threatened to meet any US strikes with a response.

Mr Trump had promised a "forceful" reply to the suspected attack.

President Bashar al-Assad's government, which receives military backing from Russia, denies being behind any chemical attack.

In his tweet, Mr Trump called Mr Assad a "gas killing animal".
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Russia Will Bomb U.S. Missile Launch Sites If Trump Attacks Syria, Ambassador Warns

Moscow will shoot down any U.S. missiles fired at Syria and retaliate against American launch sites, the Russian ambassador to Lebanon has warned.

Ambassador Alexander Zasypkin made the comments on Tuesday while speaking on the Hezbollah-affiliated al-Manar TV channel, Reuters reported.

President Donald Trump is currently considering military action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad following Saturday’s suspected chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Douma near the capital city of Damascus. Medical relief groups say the attack killed dozens of civilians.

Russia is Assad’s most powerful ally and has been supporting him in the Syrian civil war since September 2015.

On Tuesday, Zasypkin told the Hezbollah-affiliated al-Manar TV channel, “If there is a strike by the Americans, then...the missiles will be downed and even the sources from which the missiles were fired.” He added that both sides should avoid a military confrontation, and said “we are ready therefore ready to hold negotiations.”

The international community is on edge as Trump decides his course of action. On Tuesday, the president said the U.S. would respond “forcefully” within “the next 24 to 48 hours” if Assad’s forces were proven to be behind the attack. The U.K. and France have reportedly agreed to join Trump in his response.

Commercial airlines have been told to exercise caution in the eastern Mediterranean because of the risk of American military action. The European Aviation Safety Agency posted a statement to the Eurocontrol airspace organization website which read, “Due to the possible launch of airstrikes into Syria with air-to-ground and/or cruise missiles within the next 72 hours, and the possibility of intermittent disruption of radio navigation equipment, due consideration needs to be taken when planning flight operations.”

The nuclear-powered USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier has left the U.S. for the Middle East, though the Navy said the strike group’s deployment had been planned in advance.

Zasypkin said his warning was was only reiterating a March statement from the Russian military that said the same. Those comments alleged that the U.S. was planning to bomb the government quarter of Damascus on a false pretext.

Valery Gerasimov, head of Russia’s general staff, claimed that the U.S. was planning to fake a chemical weapons attack in the besieged rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta which it would then blame on the Syrian armed forces, justifying subsequent airstrikes.

“In the event of a threat to the lives of our servicemen, Russia’s armed forces will take retaliatory measures against the missiles and launchers used,” Gerasimov said.

Russian and American representatives clashed at a United Nations Security Council meeting yesterday, blocking each other in attempts to set up international investigations into chemical weapons use in Syria.

During the meeting, Russia’s United Nations envoy Vasily Nebenzia urged the U.S. to “refrain from the plans that you're currently developing,” warning that America would “bear responsibility” for and “illegal military adventure” it embarks upon. Link

The whole f--king world knows that Assad gassed those people...AGAIN.

If those missile sites are USN cruisers and destroyers, Moscow might find them disagreeable to retaliation.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Empty boast. They have not attacked Israeli airbase yet.

But this does mean that we have to take extra care to avoid Russian casualties.
                  Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                    Empty boast. They have not attacked Israeli airbase yet.

But this does mean that we have to take extra care to avoid Russian casualties.
                    How if the Russian base is the target? This whole ordeal is about TAP pipeline and pushing Russians out of Syria will ensure it, so I am guessing that this time, they will go head on. Question is will they wait for the DDG-78 to arrive or she will be included later on.
                    Last edited by Versus; 11 Apr 18,, 16:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
                      How if the Russian base is the target? This whole ordeal is about TAP pipeline and pushing Russians out of Syria will ensure it, so I am guessing that this time, they will go head on. Question is will they wait for the DDG-78 to arrive or she will be included later on.
                      Macron has stated the targets will be chemical factories and I wouldn't be surprised if SAA bases are hit as well. I can't imagine anything will be fired at Tartus.

In fact, SAA equipment and personnel have been evacuating to Russian bases in the last 24 hours or so...

That being said, it appears Russian ships based at Tartus have gone to sea.
                      https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/st...93129983889408

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                        Macron has stated the targets will be chemical factories and I wouldn't be surprised if SAA bases are hit as well. I can't imagine anything will be fired at Tartus.

In fact, SAA equipment and personnel have been evacuating to Russian bases in the last 24 hours or so...

That being said, it appears Russian ships based at Tartus have gone to sea.
                        https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/st...93129983889408
                        We will have to wait and see. I am guessing that it will start Thursday-Friday night. Friday is 13th, sounds about right.

Comment

• I'll really really torn about this.

On the one hand, innocent civilians getting gassed to death makes my blood absolutely boil with rage, and I'd love to see every piece of US, UK and French ordnance in the surrounding region dropped on Assad's military and political infrastructure. And, if by some odd coincidence, a couple dozen state-of-the-art Russian aircraft also happen to get granulated, well shit, that's just too damn bad.

But at the same time, that just causes even more death and destruction and potentially invites retaliation from Russia, causing a downward death spiral.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            I'll really really torn about this.

On the one hand, innocent civilians getting gassed to death makes my blood absolutely boil with rage, and I'd love to see every piece of US, UK and French ordnance in the surrounding region dropped on Assad's military and political infrastructure. And, if by some odd coincidence, a couple dozen state-of-the-art Russian aircraft also happen to get granulated, well shit, that's just too damn bad.

But at the same time, that just causes even more death and destruction and potentially invites retaliation from Russia, causing a downward death spiral.
                            I reckon a lot of us feel this way but if you ain't in it the full way not much good can be done, especially with the russians in it so far and the lack of allies on the ground, as others have already stated on the board. Given this, a strike big enough to make sure Assad will never think of using chemical weapons again is the best outcome surely.

Comment

• If this could be a watershed moment in the history for the use of chemical weapons, with multiple countries coming together to deliver a message, atleast some small bit of good could be achieved.

Comment

• Originally posted by tantalus View Post
                                Given this, a strike big enough to make sure Assad will never think of using chemical weapons again is the best outcome surely.
                                I agree, that's the only kind of strike worth contemplating, not a couple dozen Tomahawks, but hundreds of pieces of ordnance at a minimum.

Something that makes Assad and even Russia rethink everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X