This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
    19th Century physicist and engineer whose invention is still found on USN aircraft carriers to this day
    I'd guess Clement Ader who was a 19th century inventor but not a "physicist" yet published a book laying out the idea of a flat deck, elevators, and a hanger. The deck is to be cleared of all obstacles to be flat and wide as possible to look like a landing field.

L'Aviation Militaire

Comment

• tbm3fan

Nope. Our man was very good at the physics part and as an engineer was able to put theory into actual practice. As a physicist, he was sometimes secondary to the work. This didn't cost him any interference. Even by the optics of his time, he was not a polarizing figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Off the record that is the movie and would have mentioned it earlier if I had seen this. The movie gives a great idea on how Skyraiders were used to do that.
        My uncle was assigned to the first Skyraider squadron to go aboard the Essex in Korea (he had been at China Lake as a weapons test officer and was sent along with VF-54 (Hell's Angels). He said his commander LtCdr Gray (and the whole squadron, really) would lose his mind when they did this to his aircraft! We watched Bridges of Toko-ri together in the mid-1980s and he was still pissed off about it!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• One last clue our 19th Century physicist and engineer took a stable approach to his work. If you could through his lens you would see he didn't make waves. He had an illuminating career.

Comment

• Fresnel?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Fresnel?
              Yes. Augustin-Jean Fresnel. https://www.airspacemag.com/how-thin...tball-8421491/ and a video from tbm3fan's favorite museum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24JBJzLGus

Comment

Yes. Augustin-Jean Fresnel. https://www.airspacemag.com/how-thin...tball-8421491/ and a video from tbm3fan's favorite museum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24JBJzLGus
                Cool

I am on the road for a week so its an open thread!

Have at it WABbers!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• The A-1 Spad shot down what type of jet fighter during the Vietnam War?
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Mig 17 in 1965 by Navy A-1s.

Comment

• One of the last victories by a prop-driven fighter against a fighter jet.

You got it. You're up.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Since we are in the "Vietnam" era. What US fixed wing aircraft had about the same operational loss rate compared to combat losses in the Vietnam War.

Comment

• Son, nephew of a F-8 drivers. Crusader?

Comment

• Right you are! I work with a couple of F-8 jocks. One of the best ever off the catapult ...... not so much in the pattern!

Comment

Son, nephew of a F-8 drivers. Crusader?
                              Dazed, you're up!
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Dazed, you're up!
                                Going once....
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X