Page 1 of 17 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 249

Thread: I love when I'm right RE: "Global Warming"

  1. #1
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020

    I love when I'm right RE: "Global Warming"

    Now, we have two planets that seem to have roughly increasing temperatures over the last few years.

    I'm trying to remember my basic astronomy, but planets in this solar system have one thing in common that affects their temperature.

    I'm trying... I can't remember...

    Oh yeah, it's the sun. Anyway, article here. Good stuff about Mars Global Surveyor in general, and the part that made me chuckle is

    And for three Mars summers in a row, deposits of frozen carbon dioxide near Mars' south pole have shrunk from the previous year's size, suggesting a climate change in progress.
    Confirms what I have pointed out from other Mars orbiter data in the past, and the simplicity of the obvious - IF something is heating up, look to the source of the heat first.

    -dale

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor Amled's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Sep 04
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by dalem
    Now, we have two planets that seem to have roughly increasing temperatures over the last few years.

    I'm trying to remember my basic astronomy, but planets in this solar system have one thing in common that affects their temperature.

    I'm trying... I can't remember...

    Oh yeah, it's the sun. Anyway, article here. Good stuff about Mars Global Surveyor in general, and the part that made me chuckle is

    -dale
    Dale, did you read Michael Crichton’s State of Fear?
    It and the list of sources listed does open new thoughts on ecological problems and manifestations.
    As for:
    ...simplicity of the obvious - IF something is heating up, look to the source of the heat first.
    Occam's razor again!
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

  3. #3
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Amled
    Dale, did you read Michael Crichton’s State of Fear?
    It and the list of sources listed does open new thoughts on ecological problems and manifestations.
    Indeed I did. Confirms many of my own opinions, although in a much more readable format.

    As for:

    Occam's razor again!
    How easy it is to forget.

    -dale

  4. #4
    Senior Contributor smilingassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 03
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    2,749
    I've always been a glass half full kinda guy, and for the most part your theory and subsequent prove are sound, however I still think that we should do our best to keep polution to a minimum. One Monday morning in a big city and a quick gaze atthe skyline will show you just what kind of $h!t we are putting into our air.

    Don't get me wrong, I totally accept the theory that Global warming is a natural occurance, the problem is that its the arguement commonly used to promote or prevent us from cleaning up our act.

  5. #5
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Join Date
    17 May 05
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    1,418
    While I conceed that global warming may be a natural process I do firmly believe that we are helping it along and I do like snowboarding so I'd like to drop our pollution output by a large degree. If at least for our lungs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

  6. #6
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingassassin
    I've always been a glass half full kinda guy, and for the most part your theory and subsequent prove are sound, however I still think that we should do our best to keep polution to a minimum. One Monday morning in a big city and a quick gaze atthe skyline will show you just what kind of $h!t we are putting into our air.
    I agree that pollution is worth reducing for fairly obvious reasons. And the wealthier a society gets, the more it can afford to protect itself with reasonable emission controls, etc. But every society has to go through its industrial pollution phase.

    -dale

  7. #7
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    While I conceed that global warming may be a natural process I do firmly believe that we are helping it along
    Why? How? Where is your evidence?

    -dale

  8. #8
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Join Date
    17 May 05
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    1,418
    My evidence, let us imagine a winters day, it's sunny and freezing cold, next day you get an overcast and the temperature goes up. The clouds are acting like a blanket see? Pollution is acting like the clouds in my example.

    I've seen this happen a million times (not literaly) as I have been skiing and snowboarding since I was two and watch the weather and temperature. At 7 celcius or less in Vancouver you can make a safe bet that it will be snowing in the mountains. I've noticed that almost every time we get an overcast the temperature rises a degree or two.

    There you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

  9. #9
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    My evidence, let us imagine a winters day, it's sunny and freezing cold, next day you get an overcast and the temperature goes up. The clouds are acting like a blanket see? Pollution is acting like the clouds in my example.

    I've seen this happen a million times (not literaly) as I have been skiing and snowboarding since I was two and watch the weather and temperature. At 7 celcius or less in Vancouver you can make a safe bet that it will be snowing in the mountains. I've noticed that almost every time we get an overcast the temperature rises a degree or two.

    There you go.
    Personal anecdotes are not evidence.

    -dale

  10. #10
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Join Date
    17 May 05
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    1,418
    That is evidence. You learn about temperature changes like this in elementary school. I'm sorry that I didn't bother to go and find a quote from a scientist and post it. Not to mention that had I bothered you would post a quote from another scientist de-bunking it and I would do the same and so on and on and on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

  11. #11
    Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Misawa Airbase, Japan
    Posts
    8,578
    dalem, don't bother. There is no point in arguing with somebody like this. Just chuckle quietly to yourself, shake your head in sadness, and know that there are some people that are just not able to see the world but as through a glass, darkly.

  12. #12
    Contributor barrowaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Aug 04
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    706
    Well, global warming is a fact. What is debated is to what degree humans have influenced the trend. Examining the evidence, the main correlation appears to be the CO2 emissions that started increasing with industrialization. Nearly all scientists believe that humans have been the major contributor to global warming since industrialization. I'm more apt to trust their opinions than those of the experts at the oil companies.

  13. #13
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by barrowaj
    Well, global warming is a fact.
    No one is disputing that.

    What is debated is to what degree humans have influenced the trend.
    I agree that is the debate.

    Examining the evidence, the main correlation appears to be the CO2 emissions that started increasing with industrialization.
    Focusing on the last 200 years ignores similar warming (followed by cooling)trends prevalent before industrialization.

    Nearly all scientists believe that humans have been the major contributor to global warming since industrialization.
    "Nearly all"? From where do you get that measurement?

    I'm more apt to trust their opinions than those of the experts at the oil companies.
    Who brought oil companies into the debate?

    Now, ignoring all that extra garbage you tried to interject above , the point here is that Mars seems to be getting warmer at the same time that Earth seems to be getting warmer. I think this is a fine confirmation that the sun is involved. To what degree requires more study.

    -dale

  14. #14
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    Join Date
    17 May 05
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    1,418
    I never said that we are the sole cause, I just think there is a good chance we are helping it a long a bit at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

  15. #15
    Lord High Hullabalooster Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    I never said that we are the sole cause, I just think there is a good chance we are helping it a long a bit at the very least.
    I agree that's what you said and I asked why you think that.

    -dale

Page 1 of 17 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Butter Cookie Awards!
    By Ironduke in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 18 Apr 09,, 07:02
  2. Should members of the Church of God go to war?
    By Ray in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08 Jan 09,, 01:49
  3. Animal Love
    By THL in forum International Economy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30 Jul 06,, 01:08
  4. Fall for Love
    By lemontree in forum International Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20 Jan 06,, 10:02
  5. Love in sufi thought
    By Trojan in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08 Apr 05,, 19:44

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •