Review: Man of Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Man of Steel

I went to see Man of Steel last Saturday night. It was a show at around dinner time and still it was full house!

I will try to review the movie without giving away the plot that everyone knows already.

Krypton is dying. Jor-El sends his only begotten son (Kal-El) to a backwater planet named Earth. The kid grows up to possess superpower due to the radiation from a much younger star....blah blah blah...you know the rest.

All movies have pretty much the same plot. The difference is in the execution. I am sort of mixed on this movie. I loved the part on Krypton. We don't normally see its portrayal in any detail. Zack Snyder did a pretty good job here. At least he wowed me. There are some serious questions and plotholes about why the Kryptonians couldn't escape the destruction of their planet. The movie offered some explanation but I tried to block it out so my head doesn't explode.

Kal-El's growing pains were presented in a series of flashbacks at different points of the movie rather than a montage like the 1978 movie, which is a refreshing change, but felt disjointed.

The one thing that annoyed me the most was the shaky camera technique used throughout the ENTIRE movie. It's like the new BSG, but worse!!! I had to purposely zone out just so my headache doesn't get any worse.

The best part about this movie, other than the depiction of Krypton, was the fight scenes. Super humans fought like super humans. They were thrown into, through, and out of buildings, rather than the traditional fisticuffs. The arena consisted of an entire city. They fought from the ground to the sky, from one end of the city to the other. They flung large objects at each other. They caused general destruction of Metropolis.

I would give this movie an 8. It would have been a 9 if it weren't for the shaky camera work (personal preference) and giant plotholes.

Superman is hard to do because he's a boring character. He's righteous and indestructible. What kind of super villain could even put him remotely in danger? Or compromise his moral authority? Just not screwing up the movie is an accomplishment.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

A 35 year old rescue worker just destroyed a combat veteran platoon with the latest in Krytonian weaponry.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      The one thing that annoyed me the most was the shaky camera technique used throughout the ENTIRE movie. It's like the new BSG, but worse!!! I had to purposely zone out just so my headache doesn't get any worse.
      Its supposed to make you feel like your're in the fight yourself.

I first saw this in the bourne films and kept asking myself why do they do this. I can't see a damn thing. Compare to the last samurai and i wanted to throw myself at the screen.

Will try to catch this at the local flicks.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Jun 13,, 22:35.

Comment

Anyone also noticed that 3D ain't worth the money? I couldn't tell the difference between 3D and 2D.

Comment

The effects are quite pronounced if you watch an IMAX movie.

Took an aunt to see one, she jumped when the t-rex popped out of the screen

Comment

Can't stand 3D. Not worth the extra money. Flinched exactly once in a 3D movie since 2010....
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

3D is worth the money if it's free.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Guys, any idea how much USNG tapped to be a "sponsor"?
                Last edited by Doktor; 12 Jul 13,, 10:18.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I agree with the imax 3D effect. IMO, screen aspect should be 270 degree, atleast not less than 180 degree for it to work.

Comment

Working...
                  X