UK/USA Agree on F35 Tech Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK/USA Agree on F35 Tech Transfer

The United States has agreed to step up Britain’s access to sensitive technology in the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter being built by Lockheed Martin Corp., President George W. Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair said on May 26.

The radar-evading F-35 is the costliest warplane acquisition program ever at a projected $276.5 billion through 2027 for the total 2,593 jets that the United States and Britain plan to buy.

"Both governments agree that the UK will have the ability to successfully operate, upgrade, employ, and maintain the Joint Strike Fighter such that the UK retains operational sovereignty over the aircraft," they said in a joint statement.

At issue were such things as radar-evading technologies, know-how involving the aircraft’s electronic brains and future weapons integration -- items Britain has equated with what it calls operational sovereignty.
    The first F-35 is to be delivered in 2009 in the United States.

Britain has committed $2 billion to developing the fighter, more than twice the sum put up by the other partners -- Italy, the Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Australia, Denmark and Norway.

Britain’s minister for defense procurement, Paul Drayson, warned Washington in March that London would quit the co-development program unless Britain’s technology-access needs were met.
    "Without the technology transfer to give us the confidence to deliver an aircraft fit to fight on our terms, we will not be able to buy these aircraft," he told the Senate Armed Services Committee on March 14.

Bush and Blair said in the statement they were still working out details of the technology-transfer deal designed to clear the way for Britain to sign a pact on buying its planned F-35 fleet.

"The United States has no closer ally than the United Kingdom," the statement said, referring to their cooperation in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the U.S.-declared global war on terror.

U.S. officials have said they hope to wrap up talks with Britain and the other partners next month on how many F-35s they would buy. This would set the stage for a formal signing ceremony in December after purchase reviews are completed in the partner countries, officials said.
    Bush and Blair also spoke in the statement of a need to enhance U.S.-British military cooperation.

They said the two countries must strengthen and deepen the relationship between their defense establishments, achieve fully interoperable forces and leverage the strength of their industries.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publ...cle_006163.php
    Cant decide whether this is good or bad news given my feelings for the F35 lol

Too bad. I had liked to see an european solution for the UK, navalised Typhoon or something.
    >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
      Too bad. I had liked to see an european solution for the UK, navalised Typhoon or something.
      That would have increased the R&D cost of EF2000 by atleast 20 billion USD more, not a sound solution, me thinks.
      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
        I agree - its something of a mixed blessing... I just hope they drop the "B" and go for the "C" variant for the navy, and the "A" for the RAF... but that would too logical

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather
          Cant decide whether this is good or bad news given my feelings for the F35 lol
          Is this for the F-35B? Oh well, the B just stepped one step further from cancellation... Oh well, at least it works for the A and C too, hopefully, if UK ever decides to buy them. So much for the downgraded stealth rumors.

Comment

$276.5 billion through 2027 for the total 2,593 jets that the United States and Britain plan to buy.

That works out to $106.6 million per average F-35 unit cost.(if those figures are accurate). That's all models/all users/average price including develpmental costs.

Comment

Originally posted by hello
              Is this for the F-35B? Oh well, the B just stepped one step further from cancellation... Oh well, at least it works for the A and C too, hopefully, if UK ever decides to buy them. So much for the downgraded stealth rumors.
              It's too early to definitvely say one way or another, but i've given my prediction. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                $276.5 billion through 2027 for the total 2,593 jets that the United States and Britain plan to buy.

That works out to $106.6 million per average F-35 unit cost.(if those figures are accurate). That's all models/all users/average price including develpmental costs.
                Sure, with A the cheapest at 82 million and B the costliest at 130 million, the average price comes to 106 million, which probably is also the price of the C.
                The B still has 208 million USD to go before it reaches the Raptor, A has 256 and C has 232. A, at the moment is less than a quarter of the Raptors cost, C less than a third, but the most variable of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by hello
                  At the moment.. I hope they seen sense... I know they wont though...

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather
                    I agree - its something of a mixed blessing... I just hope they drop the "B" and go for the "C" variant for the navy, and the "A" for the RAF... but that would too logical
                    I agree. Have the Typhoon replace the Tornado F.3, Jaguar, and Harrier in the fighter and close air support roles, the Tornado GR would be replaced by the F-35A, and the F-35C would replace JFH harriers with nos 1&4 squadrons RAF giving way to 802 and 803 NAS.
                    F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Hmm... does anyone ever think that perhaps with $270bn in R&D or development/aid/whatever, a lot of the world's problems could be solved without needing to worry about sending people off to kill each other? :)

Hell, even $270 *million* would help heaps....

Comment

What would you do with it, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug97
                          What would you do with it, exactly?
                          With 270 billion dollars? I'd buy myself an island somewhat in the middle of a pacific and load it with ICBM's and give NK and Iran 20 minutes to surrender.

Comment

And what would you do once they surrendered, assuming NK didn't nuke you first?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug97
                              And what would you do once they surrendered, assuming NK didn't nuke you first?
                              Demand their people leave my two new countries or I'll nuke them anyway.

Being a nuclear armed dictator has its perks. :)
                              Last edited by canoe; 31 May 06,, 19:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X