21 Jan [BBC] Pakistan's army has said it will launch no new offensives on militants in 2010, as the US defence secretary arrived for talks on combating Taliban fighters.
Army spokesman Athar Abbas told the BBC the "overstretched" military had no plans for any fresh anti-militant operations over the next 12 months.
Our correspondent says the comments are a clear snub to Washington.
The US wants Pakistan to expand an offensive against militants launching cross-border attacks in Afghanistan.
Defence Secretary Robert Gates arrived in Pakistan on Thursday for his first visit since US President Barack Obama took office last year. ....
The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan in Islamabad says the comments are a clear brush-off to top US officials, and are likely to put Pakistan's shaky coalition government in an embarrassing position with its US ally.
He says the move also threatens to make any expanded Nato and US military deployment in Afghanistan ineffective, as the Taliban will now be relieved of any pressure from the Pakistan army. ....