Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Battleship IOWA
  • 4 Post By RustyBattleship
  • 3 Post By RustyBattleship

Thread: USS Iowa back in the fight

  1. #1
    Patron Battleship IOWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Dec 13
    Location
    San Pedro, Ca
    Posts
    217

    USS Iowa back in the fight

    Picture of the loser being laid to rest by the harbor department.

    Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  473.2 KB
    Craig Johnson

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    14,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    Picture of the loser being laid to rest by the harbor department.
    I'm sorry, what are we seeing here exactly?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

  3. #3
    Patron Battleship IOWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Dec 13
    Location
    San Pedro, Ca
    Posts
    217
    This is the aftermath of yesterday's battle between the Iowa and mother nature via hurricane Marie.
    Large swells from the south started rolling into LA harbor Tuesday night and reached there peek late Wednesday afternoon.
    The photo is one of about 5 pilings that broke in two after being pounded all day, the sound when they broke was like a cannon shot.
    At times the ship was moving 6 feet fore and and aft and up and down, it was an impressive display of power.
    We came very close to having to hire tugs to move the ship deeper into the harbor to avoid further damage to the dock.
    Of course the "Big Stick" only damage was a little scuffed paint.
    TopHatter, citanon and blidgepump like this.
    Craig Johnson

  4. #4
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    5,631
    It's a good thing that the shell plating (strakes M & N) at that area is 1 1/2" thick Special Treated Steel (STS) rated at 110 thousand pounds per square inch yield strength.

    There isn't a tree in the world that could stand up to that kind of "push and shove".
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  5. #5
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    desertswo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 May 13
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    This is the aftermath of yesterday's battle between the Iowa and mother nature via hurricane Marie.
    Large swells from the south started rolling into LA harbor Tuesday night and reached there peek late Wednesday afternoon.
    The photo is one of about 5 pilings that broke in two after being pounded all day, the sound when they broke was like a cannon shot.
    At times the ship was moving 6 feet fore and and aft and up and down, it was an impressive display of power.
    We came very close to having to hire tugs to move the ship deeper into the harbor to avoid further damage to the dock.
    Of course the "Big Stick" only damage was a little scuffed paint.
    I appreciate moving her to deeper water, but why not something a bit simpler, and I've had done to me twice, once in Mobile, AL, and once in Subic Bay, RP; why not just have the tugs make up and pull her off the pier (but still made fast) until the seas subsided a bit?

  6. #6
    Patron Battleship IOWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Dec 13
    Location
    San Pedro, Ca
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by desertswo View Post
    I appreciate moving her to deeper water, but why not something a bit simpler, and I've had done to me twice, once in Mobile, AL, and once in Subic Bay, RP; why not just have the tugs make up and pull her off the pier (but still made fast) until the seas subsided a bit?
    The main reason to move the ship I believe is so we do not block the main channel of LA harbor which is narrow and has a curve at that point.
    Craig Johnson

  7. #7
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    5,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    The main reason to move the ship I believe is so we do not block the main channel of LA harbor which is narrow and has a curve at that point.
    EXACTLY. We are not alongside a protected pier or a special berth. We are in the main channel of Los Angeles/Long Beach harbor that actually goes all the way around Terminal Island where the country's most efficient and dedicated shipyard used to be (now a paved over parking lot for containers).

    It would be ideal to install a couple of camels to moor the ship port & starboard. But that may not leave enough room for gigantic Cruise Ships or gargantuan Container Ships enough "wiggle" room should they have to pass by during sea surges or high winds.

    Too bad. I really want the Aircraft Carrier Ranger also. I have a very personal attachment to that ship. But finding a parking spot is almost impossible.

    Almost. I do have an idea, but am getting too old to go through the hoops all over again and those of us who have had the "training" (getting the Iowa) are still trying to catch their breath.
    citanon, DonBelt and SharkPilot like this.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bring Back The Iowa Class Discussion And Debate
    By Praxus in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 489
    Last Post: 21 Apr 14,, 02:01
  2. What's going on with Iowa?
    By Michigan_Guy in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12 Jan 09,, 14:06
  3. How Iran will fight back.
    By nickshepAK in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 15 Feb 05,, 00:26

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •