After reviewing the scale drawing, I decided to scratch build some kind of damper. The dampers are a bit more complex than my attempt, but when painted, and immersed in the rest of the details on the ship, the complexity will not be missed.
Here's the original PE damper (Slightly misshapen after forcibly removing it from its incorrect location) and my version next to it. The ram is 0.024" music wire and the vent line (I am supposing it some kind of vent) is .014" music wire. It's the smallest drills that I have so I couldn't go any smaller. The strap is made of the fret from the PE and is pretty good for making stuff.
While this little 4-part construction shouldn't really take too much time, should it? Well... how's three hours sound? The main problem was drills. I was using those 0.0135" carbide bits and broke all of them. One broke when the pin vise slipped, but several broke in the hole. That meant scrapping the part. It wasn't the bore hole. That went easily. It was the hole on top for the vent line. I had some high-speed steel drills of similar size, but they just didn't want to cut.
The bottom plate fell off when doing all this work on the cat, so I was able to reinstall the pulley at the right depth. I put a piece of 0.022" brass wire through it as an axle and glued that to the bottom plate.
I'm now working on the 2nd cat and it's going smoother. Both of the dampers are finished and I'll install them after all the railings are in place. Whew....!
Once they're all finished, I'll airbrush them. I'm thinking to not install them until the main deck rails are in place. They're too delicate. Same goes for the ship's crane. While I'm screwing around with this, I'm wondering if I should put a few bits of round stock on the platform to simulate the motor drive units that are shown on the plans. I feel a strong case of AMS coming on.