Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chogy
  • 1 Post By junoth1001

Thread: Greatest WW2 fighter find ever

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Chogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Apr 09
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,752

    Greatest WW2 fighter find ever

    At the close of WW2, Allied personnel in Burma buried TWENTY brand new Spitfires still in their shipping crates under a layer of soil, assuming the British government would return for them. They never did.

    For decades, the Spitfires were considered lost. Not any more.

    Spitfires buried in Burma to be returned

    Incredible news. Supposedly Australia has a number of fighters "lost" in the outback as well. And every so often, fighters lost in the Great Lakes are found in excellent condition, due to the great depths of cold, fresh water.
    tankie likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 06
    Posts
    2,605
    Egyptian desert too, recently.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Chogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Apr 09
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,752
    The P-40 found in Egypt is all over the news as well. It solved the mystery of a lost airman, who successfully belly-landed in horrible, hostile terrain. He attempted to walk out and undoubtedly died in the desert,



    On June 28, 24-year-old Flt Sgt Dennis Copping and another airman from RAF’s 260 Squadron had been told to fly two damaged Kittyhawk P-40 planes from one British airbase in northern Egypt to another for repairs, reported the Metro UK. During the short flight, he went off course and was never seen again.
    Some additional pictures

  4. #4
    Contributor junoth1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Feb 08
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    407
    5 crated spitfires have been located in Scotland, the National Museum of Flgit, intend recovering them and flying them as a squadron.
    tankie likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    855
    I'm just waiting for the photo's of these "new" Spitfires!

  6. #6
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,293
    Wow , bloody great finds , just , WOW ,however it does show how lax the MOD was/is , in forgetting these very expensive items .


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  7. #7
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by junoth1001 View Post
    5 crated spitfires have been located in Scotland, the National Museum of Flgit, intend recovering them and flying them as a squadron.
    Now that is truly a barn find...

  8. #8
    Contributor junoth1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Feb 08
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    I'm just waiting for the photo's of these "new" Spitfires!
    The crates in in a disused quarry. The museum are trying to raise the funds to recover and rebuild them.

  9. #9
    Contributor junoth1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Feb 08
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    Wow , bloody great finds , just , WOW ,however it does show how lax the MOD was/is , in forgetting these very expensive items .
    in 1946, all the lend - lease aircraft were returned and the aircraft carriers carrying the stuff, just dumped overboard about twenty miles west of Oban! One of the members of the East Anglian Branch of the Air Sea Rescue Club, told me, that at the end of WW2, he had the job of dumping crates and crates of engines, still in their protective coating just of the coast of Malta. it was considered cheaper than returning them to the UK.

  10. #10
    In Memoriam/Battleship Enthusiast Defense Professional USSWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Dec 08
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by junoth1001 View Post
    in 1946, all the lend - lease aircraft were returned and the aircraft carriers carrying the stuff, just dumped overboard about twenty miles west of Oban! One of the members of the East Anglian Branch of the Air Sea Rescue Club, told me, that at the end of WW2, he had the job of dumping crates and crates of engines, still in their protective coating just of the coast of Malta. it was considered cheaper than returning them to the UK.
    Too bad they weren't forgotten and left in a warehouse. Still, if I were an idle billionaire - I'd love to look into recovering them.
    "If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

  11. #11
    Contributor junoth1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Feb 08
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    Too bad they weren't forgotten and left in a warehouse. Still, if I were an idle billionaire - I'd love to look into recovering them.
    Back in 1986, I took part in a dive on a wreck about 15 miles west of Oban. on the sea bottom were crates including ones with fuselage sections of F4 wildcat AKA Marlets in Fleet Air Arm.

    However, it is a protected wreck and a couple of years ago, two divers died when they got into difficulty when they entered the wreck.

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    2,645
    I read something somewhere about the pilot of this desert plane surviving... can't find the link offhand.

  13. #13
    Contributor junoth1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Feb 08
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    I read something somewhere about the pilot of this desert plane surviving... can't find the link offhand.
    The authorities are mounting a serch for his remains

    BBC News - World War II fighter found in Egyptian desert

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. where could i find FM 100-2-1 ?
    By BD1 in forum Ground Warfare
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11 Nov 08,, 19:01
  2. India May Split Fighter Buy Between MiG-35 and Western Fighter
    By outofshdw in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28 Feb 07,, 05:54
  3. How did you find WAB?
    By Ironduke in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 24 Aug 06,, 02:04
  4. How did you find WAB?
    By Gio in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 13 Dec 04,, 21:26

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •