Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Which is the best UAV

  1. #1
    Senior Contributor Yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Dec 07
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    2,126

    Which is the best UAV

    How many different UAVs made by different countries are around and which is the best in terms of value delivered including offensive roles

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    16 Nov 07
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    205
    The newest, advanced and best valued UAV/UCAV is the Turkish designed and manufactured TIHA.




    The platform has completed flight tests etc and is in the production stages. Turkey intends to commission 16+ units before 2010.

    The TIHA has been designed to be a similar platform to the US-made Predator and Israeli Heron. The 100% Turkish designed and made (including the Turbo-prop engines) platform can also carry 2 laser-guided anti-tank missiles.

    While the TIHA system has an open architecture to support other potential payloads and missions, within the context of the existing project the air vehicle is configured to carry the following payloads onboard:

    Electro-optic Color Day Camera (ASELFLIR-300T EO),
    Electro-optic/Infrared/Laser Camera (EO/IR/LRF/LD/Spotter) (ASELFLIR-300T- Pic Attached Below),
    SAR/GMTI, ISAR Payload.

    The platform is also equipped with a digital flight control system, electro-mechanical actuators, and flight control sensor systems such as pitot-static, air data computer, navigation sensor, transducers, temperature, pressure, displacement sensors, etc. Various tasks are distributed along flight management computers and auxiliary control boxes. Identification and communication units and interface computers are employed in order to establish real time wide band communication and provide test and diagnostics functions. An air traffic radio is also integrated in the communication system for the integration of the aircraft into the civilian airspace. All flight critical equipment are dual or triple redundant and emergency modes of operational scenarios are taken into consideration for fail safe design.

    The basic performance specifications of the TIHA system released by TAI are as follows:

    Service ceiling: 30,000 ft
    Endurance: 24 hours
    Cruise speed: >75 kts
    LOS communication range: >200 km

    The ASELSAN (A Turkish Defence Company) designed and manufactured Flir used in the TIHA
    Last edited by Khan_Han; 02 Jan 08, at 13:17.

  3. #3
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    15 Sep 06
    Posts
    6,755
    Are the dimensions known?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

  4. #4
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    19 Jun 07
    Posts
    320

  5. #5
    Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 06
    Location
    bk
    Posts
    3,571
    it isn,t that hard to make uav these days, i built rc planes from a scrath when i was a kid in school, sure they wren,t anything like modern millitary uav, but my goal wasn,t to build one, others, who were older and more experienced built big scale rc copies, keep in mind it was 15-17 years ago, in ussr, with almost no ready made parts, and no blasa wood, no carbon fiber..ect.

    the best one today i,d say global hawk.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

  6. #6
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    15 Sep 06
    Posts
    6,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucar View Post
    It's quite a bit smaller than the American UAVs.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    16 Jul 07
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    80
    I'd say it depends on what you want the UAV to do. Some are just for surveillance and others can actually kill stuff.

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor JA Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Jul 07
    Location
    Banff, Alberta
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuf View Post
    How many different UAVs made by different countries are around and which is the best in terms of value delivered including offensive roles
    Well...obviously the mission you want the UAV to perform will dictate what UAV will be the best platform to perform the role based on what combination of range/altitude/weapons/sensors/controls/communications/size will get the job done sucessfully.
    Last edited by JA Boomer; 02 Jan 08, at 23:08.

  9. #9
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    22,598
    Too many different UAVs for different missions. Can you really say a Global Hawk is better or worse than a Raven? I can launch a Raven by tossing it in the air and maintain it at company/battalion level. Can't do that with Global Hawk.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  10. #10
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    15 Sep 06
    Posts
    6,755
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Too many different UAVs for different missions. Can you really say a Global Hawk is better or worse than a Raven? I can launch a Raven by tossing it in the air and maintain it at company/battalion level. Can't do that with Global Hawk.
    True, but it can release a piece of 'Oh nasty' from a great height and steer it onto the bad guys - which could be awfully useful.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    16 Nov 07
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    Are the dimensions known?
    The TIHA UAV has a 10m (33ft) all-composite fuselage, detachable low-mounted wing with a span of 17.3m and a detachable V-tail with a span of 4.5m. It also has a radar signiture of less than 0.6 sq m. It's maximum take-off weight is 1,500kg (3,300lb), including provision for a 200kg payload and 250kg of fuel. But, according to the manufacturer this can be increased by increasing the wingspan. Turkey reveals MALE UAV details-01/08/2006-Flight International

    The MQ-1 Predator stats:

    Length 8.14 meters 26 feet 8 inches
    Wingspan 12.7 meters 41 feet 8 inches
    Loaded weight 1020 kg 2,250 lb
    MQ-1 Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Hence, the Turkish TIHA UAV is much larger than the MQ-1 Predator and also has a higher service ceiling.
    Last edited by Khan_Han; 03 Jan 08, at 11:15.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    12 Jun 07
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan_Han View Post
    The newest, advanced and best valued UAV/UCAV is the Turkish
    How did I not see that coming?

    How about this one? It's, iirc, meant to be a fire-directing unit for artillery.

    Transport-launch vehicle

    Purpose

    Transport-launch vehicle (TLV) is intended for storage, transportation, launch preparation and launch of catapulted guided aircraft vehicle (UAV)



    Basic components of product
    Vehicle KAMAZ

    1 pc.
    Platform 1 pc.
    Catapult Device 1 pc.
    Catapult Device Control Unit 1 pc.
    Containers with UAVs 6 pcs.
    Diesel Power Supply Unit 1 pc.
    UAV Serviceability Control Equipment 1 pc.


    Technical specifications
    Product deployment time, min, no more than

    20
    Product curtailment time, min, no more than 20
    TLV speed, km/h:
    - on main road 60
    - on earth road 30
    TLV overall dimensions, mm 8655x2600 x3300
    TLV weight, kg, no more than 15400
    Power consumption, kW, no more than 14
    Catapult overall dimensions, mm:
    - length 6840
    - width 1030
    Range of lengthwise angle alteration from horizon, degrees 8 - 12
    UAV takeoff weight, kg, up to 70
    Speed of UAV carriage acceleration, m/s, not less 25
    UAV acceleration at takeoff moment, g, no more than 12
    Transported fuel supply for UAV engine fuelling, number of launches, no more than 30

    Catapult construction provides protection of service personnel from spontaneous and unapproved launch of UAV

    Maintenance vehicle

    Purpose

    Maintenance vehicle is intended for carrying out of UAV overall and small repair, search and recovery of UAV, cleaning, drying and refuelling of UAV and its subsystems очистки, UAV serviceability control, UAV carrying to transport-launch vehicle for repeated launch

    Last edited by Feanor; 03 Jan 08, at 02:35.

  13. #13
    Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 06
    Location
    bk
    Posts
    3,571
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    I can launch a Raven by tossing it in the air and maintain it at company/battalion level. Can't do that with Global Hawk.
    you don,t need raven for that, any kid can buy a rc heli, or a plane, and install cam, some already come with cam. if i did it with my 200$ rc chopper, anyone can,
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    16 Nov 07
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    How did I not see that coming?

    How about this one? It's, iirc, meant to be a fire-directing unit for artillery.

    Transport-launch vehicle

    Purpose

    Transport-launch vehicle (TLV) is intended for storage, transportation, launch preparation and launch of catapulted guided aircraft vehicle (UAV)



    Basic components of product
    Vehicle KAMAZ

    1 pc.
    Platform 1 pc.
    Catapult Device 1 pc.
    Catapult Device Control Unit 1 pc.
    Containers with UAVs 6 pcs.
    Diesel Power Supply Unit 1 pc.
    UAV Serviceability Control Equipment 1 pc.


    Technical specifications
    Product deployment time, min, no more than

    20
    Product curtailment time, min, no more than 20
    TLV speed, km/h:
    - on main road 60
    - on earth road 30
    TLV overall dimensions, mm 8655x2600 x3300
    TLV weight, kg, no more than 15400
    Power consumption, kW, no more than 14
    Catapult overall dimensions, mm:
    - length 6840
    - width 1030
    Range of lengthwise angle alteration from horizon, degrees 8 - 12
    UAV takeoff weight, kg, up to 70
    Speed of UAV carriage acceleration, m/s, not less 25
    UAV acceleration at takeoff moment, g, no more than 12
    Transported fuel supply for UAV engine fuelling, number of launches, no more than 30

    Catapult construction provides protection of service personnel from spontaneous and unapproved launch of UAV

    Maintenance vehicle

    Purpose

    Maintenance vehicle is intended for carrying out of UAV overall and small repair, search and recovery of UAV, cleaning, drying and refuelling of UAV and its subsystems очистки, UAV serviceability control, UAV carrying to transport-launch vehicle for repeated launch

    Well I see more things coming from Turkey.

    In fact, Turkey already has a system similar to the one you attached above. But, I thought it was an inferior system and hence did not bother attaching details of it.

    The TAI designed and manufactured TURNA UAV is in the process of being integrated on every Turkish Navy Frigate. 80 mobile units are also being manufactured for use by the Land Forces Command. It has been designed to be launched by a catapult on both sea and land platforms.


  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    16 Nov 07
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    205
    After doing some research I also found out that Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) is also working on an Unmanned Full-scale Attack Helli which will have a launch weight of 2724 kg. It is evisaged that this platform will also carry 4 UMTAS, laser guided anti-tank missiles. (A Turkish equivalent of the Hellfire anti-missile developed by ROKETSAN).

    I believe this could be an unmanned version of the T-129. It is no secret that Turkey has been working on unmanned aerial platforms for over 11 years now.

    TODAY'S ZAMAN

    UAV and their Effects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. IAF says warship damaged by UAV
    By Sea Toby in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 27 Jul 06,, 09:34
  2. are submersable carriers possible
    By canadian boy in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12 Jan 06,, 10:47
  3. Pioneer UAV Soars over Iraq, Keeps Eyes on Insurgents
    By Y W F in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30 May 05,, 22:46

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •