Also, the P-38 lacked high-altitude performance, was maintainance heavy, was not a very good turner, and was slower than the P-51. The P-51s were sent in with the B-29s to destroy attacking J2M Raiden interceptors, which they did. The Ki-84 Hayate 'Frank', N1K2-J Shiden-Kai 'George' and Ki-100(a radial engined Ki-61 Hien "Tony") managed to equal the F6F Hellcat and put up some fight against the P-51D, but they didn't have the high altitude performance or climb rate to effectively intercept the B-29s, and constant bombing of factories meant that they were in short supply.
"America beat Japan using only twenty percent of its manufacturing capability. The US Government felt Hitler was the greatest threat and that whatever Japan could do would not affect America as much as the loss of Europe."
Yes, but Germany only had 20% of its own forces fighting against the British and Americans. The remaining 80% was fighting the Soviet Union on the Eastern Front. So the U.S was using the majority of its warfighting capability to defeat 20% of Germany's forces while it was using only 20% of its own forces to defeat the whole Japanese Empire.
"The "beam defense" or better known as "The Thatch Weave" did a good job of protecting the F-4F but, it did not allow the F-4F's to protect escorted aircraft. In that I mean the F-4F's could tie up some interceptor, while the attack aircraft do their job. In a situation where there are more interceptors on a one for one basis. the additional interceptors are free to intercept the attack aircraft. The weave allowed a kill ratio of 1.5:1 Wildcats over the Zero during the Battle of Midway. "
Couldn't the SBD Dauntless/SB2C Helldiver do the Thatch Weave themselves? I'm sure they were maneuverable enough to keep turning into each other, and their rear gunners would help them even more in a Weave. It wouldn't be too smart before they dropped their bombs, but after their bombing run was over, it would probably be more effective.
The Weave was about numerical superiority. If in an escort, there are more Wildcats then there are interceptors, the Weave will work, and in an interception, if there are more Wildcats then there are Zeros, most of them could tie up the Zero escorts while the remaining Wildcats attack the bombers.