Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: New Mosque for London?

  1. #1
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    18 Oct 07
    Location
    Kingston Ontario Canada
    Posts
    771

    New Mosque for London?

    They are currently debateing the construction of a new 200 million dollar mosque in London which according to news reports I viewed this morning is turning into a real clash of cultures. I had absoloutly no Idea there was so much of a Muslim presence in England. Is there realy cause for worry here or is it all much ado about nothing?

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    09 Aug 07
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    907
    2.8% of the population according to the 2001 Census describe themselves as Muslims- and mosque attendances are greater than churches now.

    There's some minor worry, but the only people who really care about it are the BNP.

  3. #3
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    Nothing like it.

    An interesting and exotic addition to the British landscape at best!

    As it is, none knows what goes on in the British Mosques!


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  4. #4
    Armchair Worrier Senior Contributor bolo121's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 07
    Location
    india
    Posts
    1,839
    Better to observe the muslim population and let them gather openly
    deny them permission and not know what goes on at thousands of informal mosques that would spring up.
    At least here some surveillance can be done

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    23 Nov 03
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarecr View Post
    They are currently debateing the construction of a new 200 million dollar mosque in London which according to news reports I viewed this morning is turning into a real clash of cultures. I had absoloutly no Idea there was so much of a Muslim presence in England. Is there realy cause for worry here or is it all much ado about nothing?
    How is a muslim presence something to worry about?

  6. #6
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    18 Oct 07
    Location
    Kingston Ontario Canada
    Posts
    771
    You misunderstand my point. What I thought I conveyed was, are the divisions between groups debating this construction so polarized along ethnic lines that endless squabbles are inevitable.(I sure wish I knew how to bracket and place lines of sentences like you guys do).

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    23 Nov 03
    Posts
    2,045
    There will be a clash of cultures over it. But the cultures are probably as much about planning regulations, land usage and traffic management, as about religious ideas.

    Look at the "clash of cultures" that is happening over the expansion of Heathrow.

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    23 Nov 03
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Nothing like it.

    An interesting and exotic addition to the British landscape at best!

    As it is, none knows what goes on in the British Mosques!
    An insight into what goes on is the book "The Islamist" by Ed Husain. An account of the life of the author from a spiritual British Muslim boy, to an Islamist recruited in one of the mosques, to visiting muslim lands, encountering sufi-ism and realising that not only is Islamism totally at odds with Spiritual-Islam, but that the foundations of Islamism are kuffar! He is of the opinion that some of the truest Islam he encountered was spiritual Islam in Britain, and not the Wahabbism of Saudi Arabia or the Islam of even the holy sites or the places such as Syria.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    16 Nov 07
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    205
    Lets just hope the Imam of this new mosque will be trained at the Presidency of Religious Affairs in Ankara, Turkey (The true authority on Islam). Rather than trained by some Wahabbi cleric in the desert....alternatively boy are we going to see some colourful language!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    12 Jun 07
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    There's some minor worry, but the only people who really care about it are the BNP.
    You mean the NBP?

  11. #11
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooth View Post
    An insight into what goes on is the book "The Islamist" by Ed Husain. An account of the life of the author from a spiritual British Muslim boy, to an Islamist recruited in one of the mosques, to visiting muslim lands, encountering sufi-ism and realising that not only is Islamism totally at odds with Spiritual-Islam, but that the foundations of Islamism are kuffar! He is of the opinion that some of the truest Islam he encountered was spiritual Islam in Britain, and not the Wahabbism of Saudi Arabia or the Islam of even the holy sites or the places such as Syria.
    That maybe true.

    But then, it is the British born who are causing the worry.

    Not the original immigrants, who had come to better their lives.

    The Tablighi, which is said to be a peaceful organisation spreading Islam, has been causing some worry in Europe and the US as per articles available on the net!

    Wahhabis are the ones who follow the Quaran in letter and spirit and reject the interpretations.

    There was an excellent treatise by one of the Moderators of Pak Forces Forum (now PDF), A Rehman, on the issue.

    Of course, one cannot paint all with the same brush though this statement from your post worries about the mosques!

    An account of the life of the author from a spiritual British Muslim boy, to an Islamist recruited in one of the mosques
    Last edited by Ray; 15 Jan 08, at 02:37.


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  12. #12
    Military Professional Ryan Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Sep 07
    Location
    Megalopolis, US
    Posts
    332
    We must agree with the Bishop of Rochester that hostility is isolating the communities from each other.
    "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

  13. #13
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bailey View Post
    We must agree with the Bishop of Rochester that hostility is isolating the communities from each other.
    The clergy in all religions want to keep a hold over his flock and consequences be damned!

    The coffers have to be filled for the betterment of their own lives before the betterment of the religion!

    I am a non believer for the very same reason!

    God and humanity takes second place except in the sermons.


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  14. #14
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    09 Aug 07
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    You mean the NBP?
    No, the British National Party.

  15. #15
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,723
    Let them build it but tell them straight from the get go..If you seek to teach destruction and hatred then it will come down faster then you could build it.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Future of afghanistan
    By raja khan in forum Operation Enduring Freedom and Af-Pak
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 23 Mar 09,, 11:09
  2. The bombing of the Golden Mosque
    By TheChosenOne in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13 Mar 07,, 23:51
  3. What makes a Muslim radical?
    By astralis in forum International Economy
    Replies: 263
    Last Post: 22 Dec 06,, 17:38
  4. Evidences about Ayodhya doubtful
    By Asim Aquil in forum International Politics
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 11 Jul 06,, 18:41

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •