X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I Won't Do If I Get Shot In The Head

Man Shot in Head Drives to Work, Hospital

Friday, December 30, 2005

PORT ORANGE, Fla. — A man who woke up and found his head bleeding, drove to work and left a note for his boss before going to the hospital to find he had a bullet lodged in his brain, authorities said. His girlfriend later apparently killed herself when contacted by police.

When Glen Thomas Betterley, 53, noticed the blood Thursday morning he asked Emma Lorene Larsen if she had struck him. Larsen, 65, said she didn't know.

He cleaned himself up and laid down to rest, but when the bleeding wouldn't stop he drove to work, left the note and then went to Hallifax Medical Center's emergency room, where he learned he had been shot in the forehead. He was in stable condition Friday.

While Betterley was being treated, police called Larsen and heard a single gunshot. When investigators arrived at the home, they found Larsen dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot to the head. They are calling the case an aggravated battery and apparent suicide. Police won't say what caliber of gun was used.

Betterley's reaction to the bullet in his brain is not that uncommon, a doctor said.

"I've had patients with knives in their heads, screwdrivers in their heads, lawn darts, small-caliber gunshot wounds to the head, where patients have been awake and talking," said Dr. Jonathan Greenberg, a neurosurgeon at Orlando Regional Medical Center. "The question is how important is the area that is damaged?"

As long as a low-caliber bullet doesn't hit any major blood vessels or enters what is called a "non-eloquent" area of the brain — an area that doesn't have a specific, major assigned function — then a person can survive a seemingly serious gunshot to the head.

He said doctors don't even have to remove the bullet from a patient's brain and that it's just a matter of repairing the damaged area.

"It's because you have to weigh the risk of causing damage to the brain in the process of removing the bullet," Greenberg said.
    Shot In The Head
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

1. Drive to work, don't even think I'll call to leave a voice mail

2. Drive to the hospital

3. Check my email

4. Post a thread about it on the WAB

5. Drive...anywhere

6. Ask the person laying next to me with the gun if they know anything about the gaping hole in my head
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I would say the guy had a good reason to be...... confused. I hope he recovers well. The problem with brain injuries is that he will never know what memories he lost. I wonder how he will ever get past airport security as a "bullet in the brain" would be a hard sell to security officials.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
        The problem with brain injuries is that he will never know what memories he lost.
        LOL

Comment

I know that was a horrible incident....but I have to say...it's downright hilarious once you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
            I know that was a horrible incident....but I have to say...it's downright hilarious once you think about it.
            Horrible? He gets a great story, is going to recover, and the nutty girlfriend/wife offed herself on audio tape.

It's a win-win to me. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              and the nutty girlfriend/wife offed herself on audio tape.
              That's the absolute best part of this story. Just makes you smile all day long :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

This story just reminds me of the movie where Hannibal feeds one of his victims his own brain. It always seemed odd to me that you could take off a finger nail and the person is in agony, yet you could scrape out a spoon full of brain and the victim is relatively pain free.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                  Horrible? He gets a great story, is going to recover, and the nutty girlfriend/wife offed herself on audio tape.

It's a win-win to me. ;)

-dale
                  Yeah.

Comment

Glen Thomas Betterley? That's funny, he has the exact same name as a friend of mine. Wait! Oh my Gosh! I need to go check something!

Comment

Working...
                    X