Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed weight or jobs, crews told

Air India is trying to improve its image

India's state-owned airline Air India has threatened to ground its overweight cabin crew unless they shed their excess pounds over the next two months.
    Some 10% of its 1,600-strong cabin crew are estimated to be overweight or suffering from obesity.

S Venkat, Air India's general manager public relations, told the BBC that the airline would strictly implement the directive.

"We have a tolerance limit that cannot be exceeded," he said.

Airline officials say the move is to try and improve the airline's poor image in the face of increased competition.

Imagine if crew members can't fasten their seat belts, how can they fly?

G Prasad Rao
    Air India spokesman

Air India has an excellent safety record. However it is has a reputation for dowdy looking aircraft, lengthy delays and sloppy service.

But a recent boom in Indian aviation has meant that the airline faces stiff competition from a host of newly launched private airlines within India, and increased services by international airlines.

Glamour of flying

Indian air travel has undergone a revolution in recent years with the new airlines offering cheaper fares combined with top-level service from glamorous, young crew members.

Air India is trying to meet the threat from rival airlines

It is estimated that the Indian aviation market will grow to some 45 million passengers by 2010 from an existing 14 million passengers.

To meet the increasing demand, Air India announced this year that it would buy 68 aircraft from US aircraft manufacturer Boeing over the next 10 years.

"We are expanding and we need more crew," said Mr Venkat.

But they would have to conform with the weight restrictions which have been drawn up by the airline's insurance company.

Crew happy

The move has been welcomed by the cabin crew.

"We welcome the decision, as it is for our own benefit," Raju Joshi of the Air India Cabin Crew Association is quoted as saying by the Hindustan Times newspaper.

Under Indian law, female crew members can fly up to the age of 50 while males are allowed to fly till they are 58.

Reports say many of the crew members found overweight tended to be older staff.

Airline officials now say the sight of portly flight attendants lumbering up and down the aisles will rapidly fade away.

"Imagine if crew members can't fasten their seat belts, how can they fly?" an Air India spokesman, G Prasad Rao, is quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4530914.stm

Good move, I don't like chubby stewardesses

Comment

yeah, people shud watch and learn from SIA ;)
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Seems like none of you have been on board Kingfisher airlines.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
          yeah, people shud watch and learn from SIA ;)
          SIA girls have size 34 which is good, but no tities

Comment

Originally posted by Vaman
            No, but I've seen pictures in some other thread.
            Bery pretty pretty galls :)

Comment

airline stewardesses on emrites are not all that tehy are billed to be....

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                SIA girls have size 34 which is good, but no tities
                Ermm, thats genetics ;) Ive seen one or two Indian origin girls who were very well endowed
                A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                  No, but I've seen pictures in some other thread.
                  Bery pretty pretty galls :)
                  Vijay Mallya!

Comment

Originally posted by Vaman
                    (tongue hanging out)....boys those girls have endless legs.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                      .. the only reason to travel budget airlines..! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                        Vijay Mallya!
                        Don't get mad about him.

He has excellent credentials - he is from my school.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                          Airline officials now say the sight of portly flight attendants lumbering up and down the aisles will rapidly fade away.
                          That has got to be the funniest thing I've read all week....and the worst mental picture in a month

Funny thing is...I just can't put together the thought of "overweight/obese" with "Indians"

Americans...yeah, definitely
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

Don't get mad about him.

He has excellent credentials - he is from my school.

Sir, I think Vijay Mallya studied at baldwin boys, Bangalore, is that your alma mater too? Where you and him in the same class?
                            "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                              (even bigger tong hanging out)...Kingfishergirls...here I come!

Comment

Working...
                              X