Who is the greatest Greek hero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest Greek hero?

I would like to know in your opinion is the greatest greek hero mythological or not even though most if not all of them are still considered to be mythological
    "He who knows, does not speak, He who speaks, does not know"- Lao-Tzu

Originally posted by Ironside
    I would like to know in your opinion is the greatest greek hero mythological or not even though most if not all of them are still considered to be mythological
    Intellectually - Aristotle
    In War - Spartan 300 at Thermopylae
    In Politics - Peracles or Themistocles
    In Myth - Prometheus or Heracles

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
      Intellectually - Aristotle
      In War - Spartan 300 at Thermopylae
      In Politics - Peracles or Themistocles
      In Myth - Prometheus or Heracles
      intellectually i think that socrates would be the greatest because he was the first to say that "through logic we are gods" i mean withoiut him teaching plato and plato teaching aristotle io dont believe that aristotle would have the same beliefs that he had

In war i agree with spartan 300

in politics i belive that pisitratus was the greatest because if it wasnt for him athens would have remained the small village it was before he took over

in myth i would have to say odysseus
      "He who knows, does not speak, He who speaks, does not know"- Lao-Tzu

Comment

intellectually i think that socrates would be the greatest because he was the first to say that "through logic we are gods" i mean withoiut him teaching plato and plato teaching aristotle io dont believe that aristotle would have the same beliefs that he had
        That isn't a valid reason for saying he's the Greatest Hero. What matters is the degree to which they stood for reason. Aristotle is unparalleled in ancient history in this regard.

Comment

Achilles

Comment

Pericles . the perfect synthesis of political and military leadership .
            For 30 years under Pericles , Athens was the greatest city in the Mediteranean . After his death , everything went to hell . Everything may have anyway , but since he died he gets the benefit of the doubt .

Comment

The man who invented gyros?
              Sorry, I'm aware of the great cultural history of the greeks but the current living Greeks are in my bad book. They are such unfriendly persons as long as you doesn't blast your money into their asses.
              >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

I'm part Greek, and as such have been exposed to their culture pretty well. They're fun-loving, very family-oriented people, but with a distinct distrust for non-Greeks. They're very clannish people, and their closest friends are rarely non-Greek.
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                  I'm part Greek, and as such have been exposed to their culture pretty well. They're fun-loving, very family-oriented people, but with a distinct distrust for non-Greeks. They're very clannish people, and their closest friends are rarely non-Greek.
                  From what I can tell, Modern Greeks have more in common with the modern Turks then they do with the Ancient Greeks.

Comment

Achilles, son of Pelius.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Achilles, son of Pelius.
                      Greatest Warrior, absolutely. The God Ares got beat down by Diogenes (I believe?), who was a mere mortal, so I have no doubt that Achilles could take on the great God of War himself

He certainly did some heroic things, but I don't know if I would put him above Prometheus, who was willing to endure days upon days of endless tourcher, to give man fire.
                      Last edited by Praxus; 25 Dec 05,, 22:44.

Comment

From what I can tell, Modern Greeks have more in common with the modern Turks then they do with the Ancient Greeks.
                        Never say that to a Greek person, since they despise the Turks. The Greek culture has changed considerably since its classical roots, but it is more influenced by Orthodox Christianity than any Turkish import.

Greece has been independent since 1830 and it has had a long time to shake off its hated Ottoman cultural edifices.

Damn the Turks to hell.

Comment

Greatest Warrior, absolutely. The God Ares got beat down by Diogenes (I believe?), who was a mere mortal, so I have no doubt that Achilles could take on the great God of War himself

He certainly did some heroic things, but I don't know if I would put him above Prometheus, who was willing to endure days upon days of endless tourcher, to give man fire.
                          Prometheous was not a warrior hero was he?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            Prometheous was not a warrior hero was he?
                            Good point;)

Comment

hmmmm well, the greatest warrior on earth was taken down by a mamby-pamby lover-boy. so i think ares might still have him beat on the greatest warrior rank
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X