PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest Greek hero?

Ironside
17 Dec 05,, 15:29
I would like to know in your opinion is the greatest greek hero mythological or not even though most if not all of them are still considered to be mythological

Praxus
17 Dec 05,, 18:24
I would like to know in your opinion is the greatest greek hero mythological or not even though most if not all of them are still considered to be mythological

Intellectually - Aristotle
In War - Spartan 300 at Thermopylae
In Politics - Peracles or Themistocles
In Myth - Prometheus or Heracles

Ironside
17 Dec 05,, 19:42
Intellectually - Aristotle
In War - Spartan 300 at Thermopylae
In Politics - Peracles or Themistocles
In Myth - Prometheus or Heracles

intellectually i think that socrates would be the greatest because he was the first to say that "through logic we are gods" i mean withoiut him teaching plato and plato teaching aristotle io dont believe that aristotle would have the same beliefs that he had

In war i agree with spartan 300

in politics i belive that pisitratus was the greatest because if it wasnt for him athens would have remained the small village it was before he took over

in myth i would have to say odysseus

Praxus
17 Dec 05,, 20:01
intellectually i think that socrates would be the greatest because he was the first to say that "through logic we are gods" i mean withoiut him teaching plato and plato teaching aristotle io dont believe that aristotle would have the same beliefs that he had

That isn't a valid reason for saying he's the Greatest Hero. What matters is the degree to which they stood for reason. Aristotle is unparalleled in ancient history in this regard.

Commando
17 Dec 05,, 23:47
Achilles

Rook
19 Dec 05,, 04:45
Pericles . the perfect synthesis of political and military leadership .
For 30 years under Pericles , Athens was the greatest city in the Mediteranean . After his death , everything went to hell . Everything may have anyway , but since he died he gets the benefit of the doubt .

JG73
19 Dec 05,, 08:56
The man who invented gyros? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I'm aware of the great cultural history of the greeks but the current living Greeks are in my bad book. They are such unfriendly persons as long as you doesn't blast your money into their asses.

leib10
19 Dec 05,, 14:52
I'm part Greek, and as such have been exposed to their culture pretty well. They're fun-loving, very family-oriented people, but with a distinct distrust for non-Greeks. They're very clannish people, and their closest friends are rarely non-Greek.

Praxus
19 Dec 05,, 19:56
I'm part Greek, and as such have been exposed to their culture pretty well. They're fun-loving, very family-oriented people, but with a distinct distrust for non-Greeks. They're very clannish people, and their closest friends are rarely non-Greek.

From what I can tell, Modern Greeks have more in common with the modern Turks then they do with the Ancient Greeks.

Bill
25 Dec 05,, 21:06

Achilles, son of Pelius.

Praxus
25 Dec 05,, 21:41
Achilles, son of Pelius.

Greatest Warrior, absolutely. The God Ares got beat down by Diogenes (I believe?), who was a mere mortal, so I have no doubt that Achilles could take on the great God of War himself :biggrin:

He certainly did some heroic things, but I don't know if I would put him above Prometheus, who was willing to endure days upon days of endless tourcher, to give man fire.

Bulgaroctonus
26 Dec 05,, 00:04
From what I can tell, Modern Greeks have more in common with the modern Turks then they do with the Ancient Greeks.
Never say that to a Greek person, since they despise the Turks. The Greek culture has changed considerably since its classical roots, but it is more influenced by Orthodox Christianity than any Turkish import.

Greece has been independent since 1830 and it has had a long time to shake off its hated Ottoman cultural edifices.

Damn the Turks to hell.

Bill
26 Dec 05,, 00:51
Greatest Warrior, absolutely. The God Ares got beat down by Diogenes (I believe?), who was a mere mortal, so I have no doubt that Achilles could take on the great God of War himself :biggrin:

He certainly did some heroic things, but I don't know if I would put him above Prometheus, who was willing to endure days upon days of endless tourcher, to give man fire.

Prometheous was not a warrior hero was he?

Praxus
26 Dec 05,, 05:35
Prometheous was not a warrior hero was he?

Good point;)

astralis
26 Dec 05,, 06:57
Greatest Warrior, absolutely. The God Ares got beat down by Diogenes (I believe?), who was a mere mortal, so I have no doubt that Achilles could take on the great God of War himself

hmmmm well, the greatest warrior on earth was taken down by a mamby-pamby lover-boy. so i think ares might still have him beat on the greatest warrior rank :biggrin:

sparten
26 Dec 05,, 07:38
Damn the Turks to hell.
Yes, Greek history in Warfare against them is none too impressive is it.

Praxus
26 Dec 05,, 17:15

Actually it's quite impressive up untill the later years of the Byzantine Empire. That is of course if you consider the inhabitants of ancient Asia Minor to be Turkish.

Bulgaroctonus
26 Dec 05,, 20:35
Yes, the Turks unfortunately have gained many more victories against the Greeks than the other way around. The Byzantines fought very well in Asia Minor for many centuries, but the emergence of the Turks of the Asian steppes beyond Iran spelled doom for the Greeks and their Empire. The Turks smashed the Byzantines in 1071 at Manzikert, and again at Myriocephalon in 1176. These two defeats, coupled with the Fourth Crusade, paved the way for the Ottomans to take what was left of the Byzantine Empire.

bonehead
27 Dec 05,, 20:00
The greatest has to be Jimmy the Greek. He lost his mind, spoke his mind, and lost his carreer for what he believed in. :tongue:
Otherwise Aristotle and/or Socrates as their philosophy has endured and steared leaders and western civalizations to this day.

Shek
27 Dec 05,, 20:31
The greatest has to be Jimmy the Greek. He lost his mind, spoke his mind, and lost his carreer for what he believed in. :tongue:

There's a blast from the past :eek:

Bill
17 Jan 06,, 19:40
There's a blast from the past :eek:

Makes ya feel old don't it sir?

LOL, me too...i remember when he said it. :)

djchaos667
22 Apr 06,, 20:16
Never say that to a Greek person, since they despise the Turks. The Greek culture has changed considerably since its classical roots, but it is more influenced by Orthodox Christianity than any Turkish import.

Greece has been independent since 1830 and it has had a long time to shake off its hated Ottoman cultural edifices.

Damn the Turks to hell.

Being Sicilian I have had to listen to Italians saying we were more Greek than Italian, fact of the matter is we faught off an invasion from the Athenians, with the help of a single Spartan, and Promethius, not bad for a backwards little island who want nothing to do with any foregn power, and have never invaded, or started a war with anyone, yet every conqueror in history has used our island for an invasion point, of a fallback position. Sorry no love for the greeks lost here.

ASG
20 Jun 06,, 19:23
Achilles.

He was killed by Paris alright, but not without the help of Apollo, who guided the arrow onto Achilles' heel.

gilgamesh
20 Jun 06,, 19:54
Pericles.

My favorite quote:

"Our natural bravery springs from our way of life, not from the compulsion of laws."

...as opposed state sponsored bravery of Spartans.

highsea
21 Jun 06,, 18:08
...LOL, me too...i remember when he said it. :)That reminded me of the SNL sketch right after he got fired.

He had a new job for the Home Shopping Network with Brent Mussberger, lol.

Some kind of gaudy bauble...

Jimmy the Greek: "Now Brent, this item will be a real hit with your black shoppers."

Brent: "Uh, Jimmy, I don't think---"

Jimmy: "You see, Brent, your black shopper will buy anything that's pointy, or shiny, or has any amount of fur trim at all..."

<cut to test pattern>

The show comes back on, Jimmy the Greek is gone, Brent is alone on the set... :biggrin:

Greek hero: Alexander. I know, he was a Macedonian, but some still consider that Greek, sort of...

Trajan
21 Jun 06,, 20:27
Yes, the Turks unfortunately have gained many more victories against the Greeks than the other way around. The Byzantines fought very well in Asia Minor for many centuries, but the emergence of the Turks of the Asian steppes beyond Iran spelled doom for the Greeks and their Empire. The Turks smashed the Byzantines in 1071 at Manzikert, and again at Myriocephalon in 1176. These two defeats, coupled with the Fourth Crusade, paved the way for the Ottomans to take what was left of the Byzantine Empire.

*sigh* The Fourth Crusade..whose not to say "what if Constantinople had not been sacked and its two possible rulers killed?" I would supspect that what was left of the Byzantines would have limped on for maybe another few decades.

sparten
22 Jun 06,, 06:18
*sigh* The Fourth Crusade..whose not to say "what if Constantinople had not been sacked and its two possible rulers killed?" I would supspect that what was left of the Byzantines would have limped on for maybe another few decades.
No not really. The whole Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire was spent force after Mazikert. It was on life support after the sacking and restoration. In 1453, Mehmet just switched that off.

ArmchairGeneral
24 Jun 06,, 17:18
Aristotle? Hmmph. Give me Archimedes. Now that's a real scientist, maybe the first one in recorded history. Archimedes screw, super catapults, solid geometry, heat rays, pi, hydrodynamics... the list goes on. The guy was a genius of the first order.

scotsboyuk
24 Jun 06,, 19:55
Hercules and Achilles were certainly great heroes. Perseus doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.