X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. Korea, Japan in name-calling row at United Nations

N. Korea, Japan in name-calling row at United Nations

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) Nov 05, 2003

A general debate at the United Nations turned into a name-calling row when a representative of North Korea referred to the Japanese as "Japs."
    UN General Assembly president Julian Hunte pleaded with speakers to mind their language after deputy UN ambassador Kim Chang Guk let the epithet fly in a discussion Tuesday of the annual report of the UN's nuclear watchdog agency.

The ambassador said he rejected pressure from the "Japs" over Pyongyang's nuclear programme.

He said he used the term because a Japanese diplomat the day before had referred to his country as North Korea rather than its official title, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The ourburst came in a discussion on the report by the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Mohamed ElBaradei.

In introducing the report Monday, ElBaradei said North Korea's withdrawal from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty posed a "serious and immediate challenge" to the international effort to stop the spread of nuclear weapons.

North Korea was the lone vote in the General Assembly against the report, which was approved 129-1.

http://www.spacewar.com/2003/031105154318.3vshtods.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

We so need to squash them like the bug that they are.

Comment

As far as East Asia is concerned, no one is going to cry any tears if North Korea and Japan blow each other to bits.

Comment

I would, because the destruction of Japan would cause serious economic problems around the world, considering they account for something like 10% of the Worlds Gross Domestic Product.

Japan and South Korea could probley take care of North Korea by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
          Japan and South Korea could probley take care of North Korea by themselves.
          I just love speculation...

Comment

Well he's probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
              I just love speculation...
              Before an event occurs all we can do is speculate on the outcome, and on the event itself, after the event all we have is hind-sight.
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
              X