What a fighter need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a fighter need

These are the requirement for a very good fighter. However I like to see which one is MOST important. I voted for avionics. If I didn't get what your opinion is then I'm sorry. Name a fighter the exceed all of above.
    Stealth
    25.00%
    Maneuverablilty
    15.63%
    Avionics
    21.88%
    Speed
    3.13%
    Weapon
    25.00%
    Other
    9.38%
    Last edited by *BEEP*; 10 Dec 05,, 19:33.

Originally posted by *BEEP*
    These are the requirement for a very good fighter. However I like to see which one is MOST important. I voted for avionics. If I didn't get what your opinion is then I'm sorry. Name a fighter the exceed all of above.
    Everything listed above and more?

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
      Everything listed above and more?
      Everything listed above. You may think of more though. If you choose other then please explain.
      Last edited by *BEEP*; 11 Dec 05,, 00:27.

Comment

i dont see a use of this thread ...

Comment

Originally posted by ajaybhutani
          I did this to see other people's opinion.

Comment

All of these are extremely important. I think if I had to choose a plane that was "okay" in all areas and had to excel at one requirement it would be avionics, though.

Comment

Me neither...
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Insomniac
                All of these are extremely important. I think if I had to choose a plane that was "okay" in all areas and had to excel at one requirement it would be avionics, though.
                Missiles drive tactics.

Voted weapons. You fly a new MKI loaded with AA10As, I'll fly an F-15A with AIM120Cs and we'll see who wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy
                  Missiles drive tactics.

Voted weapons. You fly a new MKI loaded with AA10As, I'll fly an F-15A with AIM120Cs and we'll see who wins.
                  Indeed.
                  Dont change fact...
                  Scincerely, Napoleon

Comment

I agree with you. Pointless poll

what is good in the tank :-)

armor? but with weak gun.... gun? but can not move fast.... speed? how about weight? weapons? what is the price? I hope you see my logic. It is a balance of many features which makes something really good.

For fighter it is MANY features and none of them is THE MOST IMPORTANT

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy
                      Missiles drive tactics.

Well if we could theoratically turn a F-15A into a stealthy aircraft, and it went up against a MKI, we would also see ;) All of them matter, so its really hard to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
                        Well if we could theoratically turn a F-15A into a stealthy aircraft, and it went up against a MKI, we would also see ;) All of them matter, so its really hard to tell.
                        True, they all matter, but weapons are the bottom line. Every development in every other area is an attempt to nullify the enemy's weapons.

Stealth? Developed to prevent missile launch.
                        Avionics? Developed to give you the first launch opportunity.
                        Speed? Developed to give you the first launch opportunity (eventually, probably to outrun missiles).
                        Maneuverability? To defeat a missile at endgame.

All throughout time, its always a race to build a better weapon.

Comment

Well an aircraft is a weapon from a certain POV. ;)

Comment

Lets see, What does a fighter need? I say a couple of wings would be nice.

Comment

I voted avionics but to broadly include a wide range of airborne electronic goodies from radars, radios, cockpit suites, jammers, etc.

It seems to me that if you took most any airworthy craft and hung enough black boxes and antennae on it you would end up with a pretty formidable aircraft. Planes that carry no overt weapons seem to capable be of inflicting great distress on enemies.

Furthermore, given the nature of moder war, it seems that success ultimately depends on the ability of the warfighter to gather, process and correctly employ various types of information which makes avionics the key component of the system.

With regards to "hard weapons", methinks no fighter should be allowed to fly without some manner of cannon capable of firing HE shells. Fighter guns have proven to be reliable, flexible and effective against a variety of ground and air targets and cover a wide range of contingencies nicely at low weight and cost; don't leave home without one.

In general, any alliance of an automatic weapon with an internal combustion engine seems to yield capability that is beyond the sum of the parts.
                              Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Working...
                              X