PDA

View Full Version : WAB Banner Changes

Chris
28 Nov 05,, 23:52
We like to be as open as we can be with our members, so I wanted to make everyone aware of these changes before we simply went ahead and made them.

Due to the continually rising costs of operating World Affairs Board we are going to be tweaking the way the Google AdWords banners are displayed towards the beginning of December. We had hoped that the advertising revenue generated through the community would increase as the number of members grew, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The advertising revenue has remained fairly static since we put the AdWords live, but the number of members has almost doubled.

Therefore, we are going to try a new approach of running some image banners in conjunction with the existing text-based banners and also attempt to make the existing text-based banners more prominent while not being intrusive to our members and guests. One thing you will never see at World Affairs Board is pop-up or pop-under advertisements. We will also never allow a third-party advertising agency to mine our member database.

Hopefully if we can increase the advertising revenue enough, then we will have sufficient funds to not only help continue funding World Affairs Board long term, but to also re-invest in the community. E.g. commission a new forum skin for the site. Please be assured though, regardless of the funding situation World Affairs Board will continue to operate, as Rochen will pickup any hole in the funds. It would however be nice if we could make the site selfsustainable.

Thank you for reading... :)

- Chris

Parihaka
29 Nov 05,, 00:12
Thankyou Chris and thankyou Rochen :)

bull
30 Nov 05,, 14:44
Go ahead and do anything that will make WAB sustainable.

Shek
30 Nov 05,, 15:29
We like to be as open as we can be with our members, so I wanted to make everyone aware of these changes before we simply went ahead and made them.

Due to the continually rising costs of operating World Affairs Board we are going to be tweaking the way the Google AdWords banners are displayed towards the beginning of December. We had hoped that the advertising revenue generated through the community would increase as the number of members grew, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The advertising revenue has remained fairly static since we put the AdWords live, but the number of members has almost doubled.

Therefore, we are going to try a new approach of running some image banners in conjunction with the existing text-based banners and also attempt to make the existing text-based banners more prominent while not being intrusive to our members and guests. One thing you will never see at World Affairs Board is pop-up or pop-under advertisements. We will also never allow a third-party advertising agency to mine our member database.

Hopefully if we can increase the advertising revenue enough, then we will have sufficient funds to not only help continue funding World Affairs Board long term, but to also re-invest in the community. E.g. commission a new forum skin for the site. Please be assured though, regardless of the funding situation World Affairs Board will continue to operate, as Rochen will pickup any hole in the funds. It would however be nice if we could make the site selfsustainable.

Thank you for reading... :)

- Chris

Chris,
What generates revenue for the board? Hits or actual purchases that can be tracked back to the site?

Ray
30 Nov 05,, 15:31
Chris,

Thank you for taking the WAB members as the extended family of WAB.

I am sure all of us feel honoured and are appreciative of the gesture.

Go ahead and just do what allows WAB to flourish and become a vibrant sounding board.

Chris
30 Nov 05,, 22:50
Thanks for the comments and support everyone! :)

Chris,
What generates revenue for the board? Hits or actual purchases that can be tracked back to the site?It is based on the number of clicks of the banners displayed at the top and bottom of some pages on the site.

Leader
30 Nov 05,, 22:52
Chris,
What generates revenue for the board? Hits or actual purchases that can be tracked back to the site?

Google ads are based on clicks.

Jay
30 Nov 05,, 23:10
yes, so If you guys can click a banner everytime you login or visit, then I guess
it will make the site self sustainable.

Parihaka
30 Nov 05,, 23:13
LOL, I do that all the time by accident, so I guess I'm doing my bit

THL
01 Dec 05,, 00:26
LOL, I do that all the time by accident, so I guess I'm doing my bit
LOL! I thought I was the only one that had done that.

Let's get clicking everyone...before you log out, take two clicks for the board!

Praxus
01 Dec 05,, 00:58
One thing is for sure, you guys are great:)

Confed999
01 Dec 05,, 02:44
Thankyou Chris and thankyou Rochen :)
:cool:

Julie
01 Dec 05,, 14:45
As long as we have no pop-ups, I'm happy. :) Clicking for me is no problem. :tongue:

bull
01 Dec 05,, 14:51
Hey this is easy.i hae done my homework for today. Now tomorrow. :biggrin:

bull
01 Dec 05,, 14:53
I have this doubt,
i have the "always logged in" activated,so if i close the WAB window on my computer am i considered as logged off. :rolleyes:

THL
01 Dec 05,, 14:56
I have this doubt,
i have the "always logged in" activated,so if i close the WAB window on my computer am i considered as logged off. :rolleyes:
...Just Click, Bull....Just, Click.

;)

bull
01 Dec 05,, 14:58
...Just Click, Bull....Just, Click.

;)

what do you think i am doing ??? :biggrin:

Now everyday before i leave my office,it will be half an hour of clicking competiton.

Chris
02 Dec 05,, 22:39
This change over has now been made.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.

bull
03 Dec 05,, 08:24
This change over has now been made.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.

Chris, is it possible that when clicked the sponsors page opens in a new window???

Then i can keep on clicking while logged in :biggrin: :biggrin:

indianguy4u
03 Dec 05,, 08:59
Chris, is it possible that when clicked the sponsors page opens in a new window???

Try right click<open in new window [option]

Chris
03 Dec 05,, 14:51
Unfortunately, we can't change the way the links within the banner area operate. This is controlled by the folks at Google.

THL
03 Dec 05,, 17:13
Try right click<open in new window [option]
If you right click you should get an option to open it in a new window. Yu can also just click and then hit back in your browser.

THL
03 Dec 05,, 17:51
Chris

If it possible to know, I would be interested to know how much the clicks have gone up after this thread.

Chris
03 Dec 05,, 17:53
We will measure it over the course of a month and I will let you know at the end of December :)

Jay
03 Dec 05,, 19:40

Use firefox then. Configure firefox so that every link you click on a page will open a new window or new tab so its easy to close once you are done clicking.

Peopl who already have firefox try Tabmix extension, its awesome.

THL
03 Dec 05,, 20:52
We will measure it over the course of a month and I will let you know at the end of December :)
Thanks! I think it will be interesting to know.

THL
07 Dec 05,, 18:20
I have to mention that I am getting a little freaked out now that I am paying attention to the links at the top of the page.

Everytime I click on the shark thread - something about shark diving appears.
The RQ-1 Predator thread - I get Unmanned aircraft.
Iraq War - terrorism links.
Weird Pets - puppy potty training and dog litter.

It is eery how they are watching us.
:eek:

TopHatter
07 Dec 05,, 19:25
The RQ-1 Predator thread - I get Unmanned aircraft.
I'm glad to see that you're keeping current on UAVs :)

THL
07 Dec 05,, 20:17
I'm glad to see that you're keeping current on UAVs :)
I sense sarcasm here, but I just cannot quite put my finger on it

TopHatter
07 Dec 05,, 21:08
I sense sarcasm here, but I just cannot quite put my finger on it
No sarcasm, I'm really quite pleased :)

THL
13 Dec 05,, 16:40
Just a friendly reminder to 'click' .
:)

Chris
03 Jan 06,, 23:33
Happy New Year everyone. Here is the update as promised -

It doesn't look like changing the ads helped at all, so we may need to re-think this. Advertising revenue for December 2005 was actually down around 15% on November 2005 and down a whopping 140% on December 2004.

During this period the site has grown by a staggering amount in terms of posts and new members, but the ads simply aren't keeping up, in fact they are falling behind. This is not necessarily due to a decrease in clicks but a decrease in the revenue generated per click from Google.

I am open to any suggestions the community may have... :)

Jay
04 Jan 06,, 00:15
Current;y the ads show up in the top, by adding it on the sides and bottom, I guess we can increase the number of ads shown in a page, non-intrusively.

Even better, you can create top and bottom frames, place the ads on theose frames and then refresh it for every 5 mins ;)

Try to get ads from amazon.com or Buy.com directly and e-tailers like them.

Jay
04 Jan 06,, 00:18
If you have a lot of text on a page, use multiple AdSense units. You can use up to three AdSense units on a page, two AdSense search boxes and one unit of ad links.

Link units allow the user to refine what they're interested in. So if they may not be interested in specific ads on your page, they might be interested in a particular topic, and by clicking on a link unit and a link in the link unit, they'll be able to specify that they're interested in that specific topic and get a lot more options and variety on the ads that might appear.

AdSense Tip #10: What not to do
* Don't click your own ads
* Don't ask others to click on your Google ads :confused: :confused:

http://deadline.3x.ro/adsense/adsensetips2.html

Jay
04 Jan 06,, 00:28
The Google ads you are able to display on your content pages can be either cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-1000-impressions (CPM) ads, while AdSense for search results pages show exclusively CPC ads. This means that advertisers pay either when users click on ads, or when the advertiser's ad is shown on your site. You'll receive a portion of the amount paid for either activity on your website. Although we don't disclose the exact revenue share, our goal is to enable publishers to make as much or more than they could with other advertising networks.
https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/static.py?page=common.html

If you go by my first post, then CPM will give you more money, as the ads get refreshed every 5 mins.

Maximize ad space with multiple ad units

Multiple ad units can help optimize your performance by leveraging our large inventory of ads. You can place up to three ad units per page (in addition to one link unit and one referral button per product). Remember that the best way to measure the effect of multiple ad units is to examine the impact on your overall earnings. Multiple ad units may prove particularly successful for:

* Pages with lots of text, requiring users to scroll down the page.
* Forum or message board pages, particularly within threads.
* Pages where only smaller ad formats (such as the 125 x125 button) will fit.

Tip for maximizing multiple ad units: make sure that the ad unit with the best placement on the page is the ad unit that appears first in your HTML code. This will help ensure that your prime ad real estate is occupied by the ads that place highest in the auction and will generate the most revenue for you. Find out how to define the first ad unit.
https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/static.py?page=tips.html

Discover new revenue while users discover the web

When you place an AdSense for search box on your site, you can improve your users' online experience, generate a new revenue stream, and better understand your visitors' needs, all at the same time.

Your users will appreciate the opportunity to search the web from your site, and you'll appreciate the opportunity to monetize those searches through clicks on search results pages. The search results pages can be customized to fit with your site's theme, and you'll be paid for every valid click on the ads that appear.
https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/topic.py?topic=144

Better yet, try a mix of google and Yahoo ads (Dont use them in the same page),

http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/scp/viewer/index.php?loc=USYPN0005&client_id=5468&event_id=15952

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

THL
04 Jan 06,, 01:08
*THL Weeping*

All that clicking...*sob*...was...*sob* *sob*...for...*sob*...noth-ing!!

cirrrocco
04 Jan 06,, 02:31
what do you think i am doing ??? :biggrin:

Now everyday before i leave my office,it will be half an hour of clicking competiton.
well google only counts one click per ip in 24 hrs..so there is no point if you guys keep clicking 20 times..

the best way to contribute is to find an ad on the top that looks lke its been sponsored by a big company and then click. they usually pay frm upto .25 to sometimes 2 dollars per click...

dont keep clcking many times each day, because adsense is gonna find out the site isnt generating enoug business for the advertisers,,,,just cick once a day ...thats more than enough!!!!..all the clicks after that is pointeless..unless you guys wanna use proxies and click again!!!!

cirrrocco
04 Jan 06,, 02:35
Happy New Year everyone. Here is the update as promised -

I am open to any suggestions the community may have... :)

You can use the adsense heat map..I also think there are some mods which place adsense ads after every few posts..

https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?answer=17954&topic=371

I'll try to find the mod..!!!

cirrrocco
04 Jan 06,, 02:39
Use firefox then. Configure firefox so that every link you click on a page will open a new window or new tab so its easy to close once you are done clicking.

Peopl who already have firefox try Tabmix extension, its awesome.

on the adsense TOS ..it specifically states that the page should open on the same page..!!!!!.. adsnese keeps monitorng what the ref tag is

http://services.google.com/feedback/abg?url=http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/newreply.php%3Fdo%3D..........

if you open the link using target=_blank..then the ad server proly has some code that checks for pages with no refering tags!!!

Jay
04 Jan 06,, 03:04
on the adsense TOS ..it specifically states that the page should open on the same page..!!!!!.. adsnese keeps monitorng what the ref tag is

http://services.google.com/feedback/abg?url=http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/newreply.php%3Fdo%3D..........

if you open the link using target=_blank..then the ad server proly has some code that checks for pages with no refering tags!!!

Nope, firfox has a browser functionality which makes the page open either in the same tab, different tab or a new window. Its got nothing to do with ref tag. Coz that will not be modified by the broswer action.

TopHatter
04 Jan 06,, 04:12
the ads simply aren't keeping up, in fact they are falling behind. This is not necessarily due to a decrease in clicks but a decrease in the revenue generated per click from Google.
Hmmm....I wonder how that could have happened.... :confused:

*THL Weeping*
All that clicking...*sob*...was...*sob* *sob*...for...*sob*...noth-ing!!
Just can't figure that one out... :confused:

well google only counts one click per ip in 24 hrs..so there is no point if you guys keep clicking 20 times..
dont keep clcking many times each day, because adsense is gonna find out the site isnt generating enoug business for the advertisers,,,,just cick once a day ...thats more than enough!!!!..all the clicks after that is pointeless..unless you guys wanna use proxies and click again!!!!
Ahhhh.....something is beginning to make sense.... *gritting my teeth* --MUST CONCENTRATE....BUT CAN'T FOR SOME REASON--

Try to get ads from amazon.com or Buy.com directly and e-tailers like them.
An absolutely BRILLIANT idea...

....seeing as how Amazon.com has become dissatisfied with having unlimited access to my bank account and now own the rights to my soul. :frown:

cirrrocco
04 Jan 06,, 12:00
Nope, firfox has a browser functionality which makes the page open either in the same tab, different tab or a new window. Its got nothing to do with ref tag. Coz that will not be modified by the broswer action.

I think you didnt get what i meant,,

when you click on a ad.page is routed to adsense server and then a 302 (redirect) occurs to advert site. Now google tracks 2 things where the ad has come from and what the previous page in the browser history was..so when u do a normal click they get

1. http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BG2otW6i7Q6mfGaawaIS7sUzavLwNht_clwHAjbcBsOtUEA EYASCghpcCKARIkTlQ-r3G1waYAaXZggKgAf-ilv8DsgEZd3d3LndvcmxkYWZmYWlyc2JvYXJkLmNvbboBCTcyO Hg5MF9hc8gBAdoBQmh0dHA6Ly93d3cud29ybGRhZmZhaXJzYm9 hcmQuY29tL25ld3JlcGx5LnBocD9kbz1uZXdyZXBseSZwPTE3M jk3MYACAZUCFKcaCg&num=1&adurl=
http://www.ramius.net/go.cfm%3Fid%3D19&client=ca-pub-4952345823118343

where pubid is the publisher id

2. the secnd detail they extract is what the previous page of the refering page in the browser cache was..

<%
sPreviousURL = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
%>

Thus in their xml database two entries would be

1. worldaffaisboard aka pub id: 4952345823118343
2. http-referrer: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=9468&page=2

butt notice when u either use target=_blank or open in a new tab..there is now previous page browser history. so whats recorded in adsense server is the following

1. worldaffaisboard aka pub id: 4952345823118343
2. Null HTTP-refefer.

a few times is no problem. but alarm bells go off when this happens many times and bam..WAB loses a revenue stream..

btw i know of the tab concet..was in neoplanet and opera a long time before forefox came out..i thgh use firefox now and use tab a lot for web developmet,oen abt 60 tabs in one window..pretty cool eh?/?

cirrrocco
04 Jan 06,, 12:07
I coukdnt give a proper explanation of referring tags in browser

go here and check for urself. you will be shocked how much info is transmitted to every website you goto

http://www.elfqrin.com/binfo.shtml

Note: this under document

Document title (any):
Document location (any): [http://www.elfqrin.com/binfo.shtml]
Document filename (server): binfo.shtml
Document URI (server): /binfo.shtml
document size (until this point) (NS4): [992x1167]
Document length (any): [undefined]
Document last modify (any): [Wednesday, January 04, 2006 06:03:15]
[B]Referring Page (any): [http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+check+browser+referring+page&btnG=Google+Search]
Referring Page (server): http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+check+browser+referring+page&btnG=Google+Search

This is what adsense webserver tracks.and makes sure is not null to prevent people frm changing adsense code to make clicks open in a new window or do tab clicks!!!!!