PDA

View Full Version : President will quit army job after 2007: prime minister

Ray
27 Nov 05,, 23:33
Monday, November 28, 2005

President will quit army job after 2007: prime minister

MALTA: Pakistanís parliament allowed General Pervez Musharraf to keep his offices as president and army chief until 2007 after which he will take off his uniform, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has said. In an interview to the BBC on Sunday, the prime minister said the government had made this clear to the opposition. ďIt was necessary that the president be allowed to keep his uniform because we were facing many challenges like the war against terrorism and other security issues and the law of the land has allowed him to do so,Ē he said. Commonwealth leaders said in a statement on Sunday that they hoped Gen Musharraf would give up his army role after 2007. Aziz said he appreciated that the Commonwealth had expressed its view. He said Pakistanís main aim at the Commonwealth summit was to get further aid pledges for earthquake victims and many leaders had met him and promised their help. Aziz said he had raised the issue of greater access to European markets for developing countries with British Prime Minister Tony Blair because he was currently chairman of the European Union. online
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2005\11\28\story_28-11-2005_pg1_2

How many believe this?

Karthik
28 Nov 05,, 06:55
Yeah right, like anyone is likely to be duped into believing that he'll quit his army post.

Funny that Shaukat Aziz is the one that has said this and not the general.

No one knows what is going to happen in 2007.

Gautam
28 Nov 05,, 20:49
How come Shaukat Aziz is so sure he will be around in 2007 :rolleyes:

Vaman
29 Nov 05,, 10:34
Didnt MUshy promise to do the exact same thing in 2004?

Im sure he would be able to find some grave dangers he'd be needed desperately to protect against in 2007 as well. Not that the average Pakistnai public would mind either.

platinum786
29 Nov 05,, 22:45
i think it might happen.

we should be having elections next year i think....i lose count over the elections we have....he'll probably be elected president by some sort of one man voting thing or the other....meaning 5 more yearts which will be 2011, in 2007 he could if he has a groomed successor releive his post as COAS, and perhaps with the right political setup (whitewash) that he expects in 2007, he will be able to stay until 2011 without the uniform...completeing the maximum of 2 presidential terms i beleive.

i admit he is no elected leader, but as vaman said, nobody really cares, he's an actaul elader, not a crook.

as for shaukat aziz i think he will survive for 2011 and perhasp even longer, the next election his is the Musharraf's man, but after that, really he has nearly 7 years to form a political base.

he is a smart man and been in top positions within his party and previous governemtns i think....didn't nawaz include him in something?!

he just needs to establish a leader base to become a leader not a cabinet member.

Karthik
30 Nov 05,, 03:57
Shaukat Aziz lasting till 2011 ? :eek:

Neo
30 Nov 05,, 07:01
Musharraf and Aziz make a good team and most stable government we've had in decades.
I wouldn't mind to see them arround till 2011, as long as they keep buidings thinks up and lead Pakistan the way they are doing now.

Gautam
30 Nov 05,, 20:17
Musharraf and Aziz make a good team and most stable government we've had in decades.
I wouldn't mind to see them arround till 2011, as long as they keep buidings thinks up and lead Pakistan the way they are doing now.
I never usually follow happenings in Pakistan with much interest but would be great to hear what you think i.e. NEO, achievements both Shaukat Aziz and Musharaff have made?