PDA

View Full Version : Our terrorism vs. their terrorism

Vaman
15 Nov 05,, 07:51
I have long held the view that there exists no global cooperation to defeat terror and that "Terrorism" is only being used as a bogeyman to achieve their own limited political ends. Not only do we disagree on the sources and use of terror, we also seem to have different perspectives on how we deal with them.
I follow a number of international newspapers and it just seems so easy to label experts and commentators covering "South Asia" to be suffering from the same white - presumably xtian - view of the world. More often than not these experts/commentators/journos offer little true insight but are more than willing to repeat the same shallow observations ad nauseam.

Consider this:

Christopher Kremmer for the SMH writes in the aftermath of the London Bombings:

But to link a reasoned critique of Western foreign policy blunders to a justification for the killing and maiming of innocent commuters in the London peak hour endows murder with an aura of morality and reason it does not deserve.

The London bombings are the price Britain pays for being a democratic, multicultural society, not the war in Iraq. What is required in the new era of terrorism is the capacity to discriminate in our judgements, not to abandon the ability to judge everyone except the United States and its allies, as Ali would have us do. George Bush's policies may be deeply worrying, but that doesn't make bin Laden a hero.

But Western democracy and theocratic terror are not moral equivalents.
If the bombers have achieved anything, it is to remind us democracies occasionally get it wrong, but that despotic, malignant cults such as al-Qaeda that kill people merely because of the colour of their skins, or the clothes they wear, or the god they worship, are always wrong

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/immoral-to-blame-west-for-bombings/2005/07/12/1120934245072.html?oneclick=true

On the other hand the same guy also wirtes in the aftermath of the New Delhi bombings:

Barely a day after New Delhi's triple terrorist bomb blasts killed 61 people, the same marketplaces that were strewn with bodies were again bustling with life.

Such is India's capacity to cope with the reality of horror that some ask whether it's a model for life in the age of terrorism, or just a callous, careless country inured to its own citizens' pain.

But drawing the line between a terrorist on the one hand, and on the other an Assamese separatist in the country's remote north-east, or armed Maoists running their own administrations in neglected tribal districts, is more than a mere exercise in semantics. In India, violence is a political weapon that all sides - including the state itself - use.

Explanations for India's insensitivity to its own travails range from its huge size, to poverty and the caste system. The Nobel laureate and author V.S. Naipaul surmised that caste created a partition in the Indian mind between the individual and society as a whole.

With 240 million people living below the poverty line, and 15 million of them crowding into cities like Delhi, the struggle for survival takes precedence over fears of death.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/life-goes-on-in-wake-of-blasts/2005/10/31/1130720481942.html

So let me get this correct:

- If Londoners or New Yorkers get back to their daily grind asap, its a symbol of resilience and standing up to terror. On the other hand if Delhites do the same, its callous and insensitive.

- He says its the price UK/US pays for being multi-cultural and democratic. OTOH, he forgets that a country like India is larger much more multi-cultural and multi-ethnic and yet doesnt seem to think the same lee-way to be applicable to a democratic India. Instead he blames the same old tried and tested "caste system" and backs it up with the phoney and banal "poverty" as an issue.

If this doesnt stink of hypocrisy then what does?

indianguy4u
15 Nov 05,, 08:44
I would called that whiteman's hipocracy :redface:.

Samudra
15 Nov 05,, 08:52
Vaman,

Thanks for exposing this.
Do note how the US State department also failed to recognise the Delhi bomb attacks as terrorists acts.There was a mention about this in BR.

Samudra
15 Nov 05,, 08:52
Vaman,

Do note how the US State department also failed to recognise the Delhi bomb attacks as terrorists acts.There was a mention about this in BR.

indianguy4u
15 Nov 05,, 08:59
Vaman,

Thats b'coz they are fighting WoT & not other countries. Only US of A.

lemontree
15 Nov 05,, 09:07
Good post Vaman. I'll have to keep an eye out for this guy...
Christopher Kremmer ..from now on.

Ray
15 Nov 05,, 14:49
The person is merely the representative of the psychology amongst some in western nations that India is a land where elephants roam the city streets, Maharajas abound and dot the horizon and there are snake charmers at each road (to them mud track) intersections, apart from folks using the Indian rope trick to enter their flats instead of the lift (elevator)!

In short, he represents the idiotic and illiterate fringe of the western population!

Lunatock
15 Nov 05,, 18:10
Thats b'coz they are fighting WoT & not other countries. Only US of A.

As if the acts from the newly empowered FBI and Police aren't a horrific affront to democracy in our own country. :mad:

Dreadnought
15 Nov 05,, 19:17
As if the acts from the newly empowered FBI and Police aren't a horrific affront to democracy in our own country. :mad:

Congadulations
I see you have reporters just like we do CARELESS, INACCURATE AND STUPID!

Lunatock
15 Nov 05,, 19:51
Congadulations
I see you have reporters just like we do CARELESS, INACCURATE AND STUPID!

Reporters? Just a quick sit-rep. I'm a citizen of the US, 31 y/o, engaged to a 25-26 year old woman, and somebody has had the nerve to threaten to "crack down on me if I don't rethink getting married".

Could be a reporter...but I was leaning towards it being either a cop or a feeb who's thinking their legally allowed to, and I'd let them run my personal life into the ground. :mad:

Dreadnought
16 Nov 05,, 16:44
Reporters? Just a quick sit-rep. I'm a citizen of the US, 31 y/o, engaged to a 25-26 year old woman, and somebody has had the nerve to threaten to "crack down on me if I don't rethink getting married".

Could be a reporter...but I was leaning towards it being either a cop or a feeb who's thinking their legally allowed to, and I'd let them run my personal life into the ground. :mad:

Would never have that in any case like you said your a citizen of the U.S. you life is your own.

Lunatock
16 Nov 05,, 16:47
Would never have that in any case like you said your a citizen of the U.S. you life is your own.

Damn straight it is. And that'd be my motivation for the revolt, if the book Enemies Foreign & Domestic becomes a reality.

Dreadnought
16 Nov 05,, 18:58
Damn straight it is. And that'd be my motivation for the revolt, if the book Enemies Foreign & Domestic becomes a reality.

I dont think you will ever have to worry about that :)

Lunatock
17 Nov 05,, 19:14
I dont think you will ever have to worry about that :)

Yeah probably not. The Patriot Act is being redefined for the better, and the mass gun grabbing in New Orleans probably created more of an uproar than the gubernment cares to have to see & hear about.