An unusual question: sabot vs water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unusual question: sabot vs water

Has there been any testing on what happens when a sabot round is fired into water at a general angle? I remember watching a show a few months back called "mythbusters" where they fired a slew of guns into a swimming pool at a 23 degree depression. Suprisingly, all of the guns, including a 50 cal sniper rifle were shattered by the kenetic energy brought on by the surface tension of the water (don't quote me on this however).

Essentially, I was wondering if the same thing happens to tank rounds, or perhaps the tungsten or depleted uranium, that the round is made of, is rigid enough to withstand the forces dealt to it.
    Last edited by drkfce; 08 Nov 05,, 23:15.

I would imagine it would shatter like all the rest. Be fun to make a water layer in tank armor just to see what would happen. On the other hand, it'd be fun to fire a sabot round at an extremely shallow angle across a smooth lake and watch it skip..."DOH! Sorry 'bout the boat, mister!"
    The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Working...
    X