Goin' huntin' the 28th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goin' huntin' the 28th

Hey, I'm going deer hunting the 28th-29th this month for some deer up in Potter County PA; if anyone's going near there maybe you could come up and say hi.

That's all, folks.

Originally posted by sniperdude411
    Hey, I'm going deer hunting the 28th-29th this month for some deer up in Potter County PA; if anyone's going near there maybe you could come up and say hi.

That's all, folks.
    Nice invitation. Not going to make it since it is a bit out of my way. Good luck and be safe.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

DEFINITELY be safe. I know YOU know how to handle weapons (or at least you seem to know the subject). But that's not even half the story.

An old First Sergeant of mine owned land in Michigan and anybody that wanted to could hunt it. One morning, he went out himself, and wasn't even out of his yard when he saw movement down by his woods. A BUCK! But...hmmm...moving kinda funny...bad light at dawn...can't see what's what. He scoped it, and THEN saw that some divot had bagged this NICE buck, field dressed it like an expert, and THEN...

Instead of dragging it out, he hoisted this big fella up across his shoulders, and was carrying it! Antlers bouncing along on one side, white tail bobbing on the other, and no blaze orange anywhere to be seen. With the ground hiding the hunter's lower extremities and with the woodline as a backdrop in low dawn light, he looked a LOT like a really nice buck walking around in the field, and NObody would've blamed First Sergeant "Buy a Vowel" Geml if he'd blown this idiot's head off, shooting an already dead and tagged deer.

Anyhoo, he walked an intercept course, flagged the guy down, gave him his rope, and MADE him drag his kill the mile back to his truck. Oh, and told him that shooting straight and good skills against prey is only HALF of the fieldcraft you need when hunting.

So, learn from another's mistake, and don't let anybody put their tag on YOU, okay?

Comment

I'm not so sure I could lift up a nice buck like that on my shoulders yet.
        I follow all rules on the hunting ground and all state and local laws.

And I'll be using a break-action rifle, so ther'll be one shot and one shot only...

Comment

I don't know crap about hunting or guns, but good luck and have fun. PA is beautiful this time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
            I don't know crap about hunting or guns, but good luck and have fun. PA is beautiful this time of the year.
            Yeah, even if you come back light, it wasn't a wasted trip IF you appreciated where you were, and took it all in. Make sure you appreciate the people you're with, the setting you're in, and all the details of the days' events, from the way the sky looks and the air smells at sunup to sitting down to dinner that night. I am so very glad my cousins - who taught me to hunt in my teens - made sure I would notice all of the things that would not have ordinarily been memorable to me.

And as I sit here and type this to you, it all comes back to me, and what a great memory it is.

Thanks, Cousin David and Cousin Robert.

Comment

And I thank you all on this board for providing me a nice place to stay and vent-out, and talk about things that I know and learn about the things that I love.
              I will make sure to cherish the place in which I hunt; it really is beautiful in the fall.
              But last time I went hunting there the highs were 15-18 F with strong winds and lots of snow. It wasn't very fun shivvering for multiple hours and not seeing anything.

P.S. Giggs88 - MSN messenger isn't working; I clicked the link in the email that I got for confrimation, confirmed my account, and MSN messenger says my account isn't activated yet.
              Stupid Microsoft.

Comment

Stupid Microsoft.
                Oh how I wish I had a dollar for every time someone utters that phrase.

Comment

And I thank you all on this board for providing me a nice place to stay and vent-out, and talk about things that I know and learn about the things that I love.
                  I will make sure to cherish the place in which I hunt; it really is beautiful in the fall.
                  But last time I went hunting there the highs were 15-18 F with strong winds and lots of snow. It wasn't very fun shivvering for multiple hours and not seeing anything.

P.S. Giggs88 - MSN messenger isn't working; I clicked the link in the email that I got for confrimation, confirmed my account, and MSN messenger says my account isn't activated yet.
                  Stupid Microsoft.
                  Sounds like Where I elk hunt. If you have time, bone up on how to stay warm, frost bite and hypothermia.

Comment

"bone up on how to stay warm, frost bite and hypothermia."
                    Last time I went, I spent $10 on those hot-hands thingies...
                    And they do last 10 hours!

Comment

"bone up on how to stay warm, frost bite and hypothermia."
                      Last time I went, I spent $10 on those hot-hands thingies...
                      And they do last 10 hours!
                      Don't depend on silly gimmicks to keep you warm. They won't work when you really need them. Dress warm enough to sleep on the ground and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. Wool is king. Cotton kills. Synthetics are junk and highly flammable.

I hope you have as much luck hunting as i did this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rother
                        Don't depend on silly gimmicks to keep you warm. They won't work when you really need them. Dress warm enough to sleep on the ground and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. Wool is king. Cotton kills. Synthetics are junk and highly flammable.

I hope you have as much luck hunting as i did this year.
                        Would that luck be alot or a little?

I got this wool-insluated coat that amkes me sweat in 30-degree weather. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rother
                          Don't depend on silly gimmicks to keep you warm. They won't work when you really need them. Dress warm enough to sleep on the ground and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. Wool is king. Cotton kills. Synthetics are junk and highly flammable..
                          Staying warm is mostly about staying dry and using your head. It is also very important to recognize the early symtoms of hypothermia, because if one ignores or doesn't do the right things immediately, late stage hypothermia developes and most likely the victim is soon to be a stiff.
                          Knowing how to layer your clothing is important. Stay comfortable with out getting chilled or sweating too much. Moistuer is moisture. It does not matter if the moisture came from the rain or your sweat glands, your clothing will be just as wet.
                          Wool is a minimum standard for outdoors enthusiast and does quite well for the job of keeping one warm. Mankind has conquered every cold extreme of the earth using wool. However wool does have some drawbacks. It is heavy, very heavy when wet. Unless your, "into sheep" the wet wool smell takes some getting used to. Wool make some people itch. Finally, wool has a tendancy to shrink when washed/dried.
                          Synthetics are much lighter than wool for the same R value and much more compressable as well. Synthetics also dry out much faster than wool. Synthetics have raised the bar for outdoor clothing. Unfortunately EVERTHING gets a funky smell after a few days in the woods, and synthetics are no exception. Synthetics are more prone to melting/burning than wool, but remember, wool is not a cure for stupidity, it will burn as well. You would do well to keep both wool and synthetics away from the fire.

Speaking of fire, a campfire is traditional and usefull when doing an overnighter. Something about a fire that comforts humans, calms us, and warms us to our very soul. However a campfire is rarely mandatory and those who spend a lot of time in the woods should learn to survive with out a fire. There are other ways to stay warm.

Just so there is no mistake. COTTON KILLS. COTTON KILLS. COTTON KILLS.
                          Cotton absorbs and tightly holds moisture, and your body pays a heavy price to dry the cotton out again. In Oregon, bluejeens are known as suicide pants. Unless one experiences it first hand, they never can appreciate how efficient wet cotton is at sucking the heat from your body. Even wet cotton underwear can push you over the edge to hypothermia. Wool also absorbs moisture, but not as tightly or as much as cotton. Wool also dries much quicker than cotton.The inner part of wool(the part next to your skin) dries out rather easily which makes it much better than cotton. relatively speaking, synthetics do not absorb water at all, but rather holds water like a sponge. A quick ringing out and most synthetics are >90% dry. Body heat is enough to completely dry most synthetics in a matter of hours.

Comment

Working...
                          X