PDA

View Full Version : Damn, I knew those fish tasted funny

Parihaka
03 Nov 05,, 04:14
Evidence US dumped weapons off NZ

Nov 3, 2005

Fresh evidence has surfaced that the United States dumped chemical weapons off the coast of New Zealand at the end of World War II.

An American newspaper has published a classified memo revealing stockpiles of weapons were kept in New Zealand during the war, then dumped at sea.

The US Army has admitted dumping 29,000 tonnes of chemical warfare agents and 400,000 mustard gas filled bombs and rockets off its own coastline.

But the newspaper's investigation has found there is much more than that in the coastal waters of other countries, including New Zealand, where one dumping was photographed.

The article also backs up claims by New Zealand researcher Owen Wilkes two years ago that chemical weapons were stored in the country and then disposed of.

"As soon as the war was over they couldn't wait to get rid of that stuff and dump it in Cook Strait, and then just forget all about it... and they obviously forgot about it very successfully," Wilkes told Sunday in 2003.

It has also been suggested government researchers turned up at the national archives in America two years ago looking for information on the chemical ocean dump sites, but none of the government departments One News spoke to knew of the research.

Last year a stash of mustard gas shells from the same era were found in the Solomon Islands. The Americans removed 90 projectiles, but locals say many were left behind.

The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs say it is not aware of weapons being dumped in our waters, but has alerted the New Zealand embassy in Washington.
I hope they had the good sense to dump them in the deep bits :mad:

Samudra
03 Nov 05,, 04:34
Become a veggie! ;)

Seriously, if the dumps were found should not the US compensate the kiwis ?
I hope they do.More importantly would it be feasible to clean up ?

Parihaka
03 Nov 05,, 04:43
Become a veggie! ;)

Seriously, if the dumps were found should not the US compensate the kiwis ?
I hope they do.More importantly would it be feasible to clean up ?
If they dumped it in the deepest part of Cook Strait (which I sincerely hope they did, but with military adminstrations, who knows :rolleyes: ) then it would be impossible to get to, and probably best left alone.

lemontree
03 Nov 05,, 05:30
Those chemicals could be mutating some fish or lizards :rolleyes: ...wonder if a real Godzilla is getting mutated. :tongue:

Ray
03 Nov 05,, 19:16
Parihaka,

We Bengalis love fish.

I thought of visiting you and have a jolly good tuck in of fish.

Please consider that NZ is no longer receiving a "Most Favoured Nation" Status for my trips abroad. :biggrin:

Eat chemicalised fish now! :tongue:

Migrate before you turn into a Frankenstein! ;)