Girl Gun Referral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Gun Referral

Alright, Gentlemen. Time for opinions. I had at one time a Glock 17. Plain. simple. No bells. No whistles. No fancy red lights . This is the only handgun I have ever owned. I loved it. Why? Well, because it was the only 1 I have ever owned. AND...it was small enough for me to hold comfortably, not too much power, but enough to shoot at paper. Now I have a three year old room mate and I am looking at getting a new one. It has been mentioned to me not to return to a Glock because of the mediocre safety features.

I don't want anything fancy, nothing special. Just something to make me feel better about living dogless for the time being. I do have a large safe that my 3 year old room mate has not yet been able to penetrate, and in fact, does not realize is there. But as kids these days are much smarter than we were @ their age, I figure it could be days before she finds it, finds the key and figures out the combination (key and combo are needed to open it unless the master key is used and even I need a chair to get to that).

So here we are - what are some recommendations and why please.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

I have a Bersa in .380 ACP. It's a fine, inexpensive, reliable, and safe little gun that gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I think you should go to a well stocked store/ gun show and get your hands on every gun you are even remotely interested in. Some grips can be upgraded, but is is usually best to get a gun right off the bat that is comfortable for you. Do some research ( reliability, accuracy, availability of accesories, safety features, customer service, etc.) and narrow your choices a bit. When shopping for mine, I noticed some makes had features that instanly made sense to me, while others made me ask WTF? Another question to answer is, Do you want a custimized gun or a shooter right out of the box? If at all possible rent a few "possibilities" and shoot them at the range. That is the true test, and the rental is well worth the money if it keeps you from buying a gun you end up not liking. I would recommend a 9mm as a minimum for self defence. .357 sig and .40 are great as well. Most .45's are a bit big and unwieldy for some people, though it is also a great round. Also try to shoot the same make with different calibers as everyone has different tolerances for recoil and the only one that knows the real answer is you. After all that, if no gun is the winner we members of the board could argue endlessly to tell you what to get.

You may not want to rule out Glock too quickly. As you have already alluded to, children have ways to overcome safety devices so the perceived "safety advantage" of another make may not actually be there. Glock ARE ugly though.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

THL-

My Steyr M9 does come with 3 different safeties, only one of which (on-trigger safety) NEEDS to be engaged. The other two can be ignored if you want.

-dale
        Last edited by dalem; 28 Oct 05,, 00:37.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
          I have a Bersa in .380 ACP. It's a fine, inexpensive, reliable, and safe little gun that gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
          I looked a little for this online. (Designer colors! Matte, Blue or Silver...ooohh! Kidding! )

There was a bit about it jamming - problem for you?
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
            I think you should go to a well stocked store/ gun show and get your hands on every gun you are even remotely interested in. Some grips can be upgraded, but is is usually best to get a gun right off the bat that is comfortable for you.
            There are quite a few in the area and I am still hoping TH will join me in December (hint hint). I am hoping to have it narrowed down a bit by then also.

Originally posted by BH
            You may not want to rule out Glock too quickly. As you have already alluded to, children have ways to overcome safety devices so the perceived "safety advantage" of another make may not actually be there. Glock ARE ugly though.
            I have not at all ruled it out. I just don't want to overlook something else to stick with something "old and comfortable".

Comment

Get the Glock. If you're keeping it in a safe, it's not readily assecible anyway. However, store the action, barrel, and ammo in three different locations under lock and key. If your kid gets hold of one, she won't do much ... although you have to be careful about swallowing things. Just do some drills in how fast you can put the pistol together from their hiding places.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                I have not at all ruled it out. I just don't want to overlook something else to stick with something "old and comfortable".

Well, You had one, you liked it, get another one. Only thing that should be a deciding factor on getting another type would be the amount of money you wish to spend.

This is the reason I hate clothes shopping with the wife. "Well, I might see something I like better". Or if we are picking up clothes for me she thinks I should "Shop". Vice running into the store grabbing a few pairs of Dockers, Levi 501s and Sperry TopSiders. Comfortable casual.

As for house with children, Don't keep it loaded in a safe. They will find a way to open it. Go to your local law enforcment agency and get a free gun lock. Its a cable lock that goes through the mag well and out the upper reciever. Key lock. They are provided through Project ChildSafe.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                  There are quite a few in the area and I am still hoping TH will join me in December (hint hint). I am hoping to have it narrowed down a bit by then also.
                  Which trip in December? :)
                  I agree with the Colonel and Gun Grape. Unless you plan on having it ready to go within seconds (and the attendant danger of your room mate finding it), you'll want to make it so that the only weapon she can use it as is a club against the kitties...and your feet. That's assuming she can even get at it in the first place.
                  Let's talk caliber here guys. Minimum for home defence?
                  Also, you'll want to shoot shoot shoot, constantly. Like the Colonel said, practice disassembling and reassembling.

Now all I have to do is decide if I want that Taurus....
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

For caliber, if we're talking handgun for home defense and you don't want a .357 revolver loaded with .38 JHPs (I don't know how big a handgun you can handle, THL) then I'd recommend any decent 9mm with JHPs. Try out a bunch at your local store for grip and balance, pick two or three final candidates, rent those and shoot them. Pick the winner.

-dale

Comment

Bretta 9MM. I know, not exactly what you mean by "not too much power", but IMO it is the best handgun on the market. If you are really serious about using it, than its better that you have good one, which you fire often (at a local range?) and get more proficient at rather, than one which is easier to learn, but is not particularly reliable.

As for your roomate, well as the Col says barrel, action, mag in different places.

If you do decide to keep a Glock, well here is a link you might like.

http://www.topglock.com/info/firingpin.htm
                      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Would'nt it be better for THL to go in for a .22 cal pistol? She may find the 9mm a bit difficult to control in an emergency.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                          Bretta 9MM. I know, not exactly what you mean by "not too much power", but IMO it is the best handgun on the market.
                          *GAG* If she is interested in that peice, I'd suggest the Taurus clone for a substantially less amount of money. We could get His and Hers while we're at it :)

Originally posted by lemontree
                          Would'nt it be better for THL to go in for a .22 cal pistol? She may find the 9mm a bit difficult to control in an emergency.
                          Trust me, she can handle a decent sized caliber
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The safety on Walther P99s are very good. It actually takes effort to disengage it.
                            And it is a very fine weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                              Trust me, she can handle a decent sized caliber
                              Bragging again Tophatter? :)

9mm should be considered the min for personal defence. .357 sig, .40, .45 are even better. Sawed off doubled barrel 12 guage would be ideal. Seperating the ammo from the gun should be enough when using a safe. Gun in one place, ammo another. (worse case is that you could bluff with an empty gun as long as you at least have a clip in it)

Seperating the gun into pieces is nothing but a liberal plot as it would make it absolutely useless when needed. Round two of the liberal tripe would be,..."Gee...hmmmm since the gun is useless for defence anyway, why not just get rid of the dangerous evil thing and make the world a safer place? Education is the best safety device. When the roomate is ready, educate early and often.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X