Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US sentences Al-Qaeda trucker to 20 yrs

US jails 'al-Qaeda' trucker

A US judge has sentenced an Ohio lorry driver, Iyman Faris, to 20 years in jail for supporting al-Qaeda and targeting a New York bridge for sabotage.

Prosecutors said Kashmir-born Mr Faris, 34, received instructions from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the 11 September attacks, who is now in US custody overseas.

The alleged plan to cut cables supporting the Brooklyn Bridge, close to the site of the World Trade Center attacks, was not carried out.

He was sentenced to 15 years for aiding and abetting terrorism and five years for conspiracy - the maximum term possible.

Mr Faris, who became a US citizen in 1999, pleaded guilty on 1 May to providing material support to terrorists and conspiracy to provide support. In the plea deal, he had agreed to fully co-operate with US prosecutors.

Denial

The district judge rejected his request last month to withdraw the guilty plea.

Mr Faris insisted on his innocence on Tuesday, saying "I don't have any connection with al-Qaeda except my best friend works for al-Qaeda".

He told the judge he had wanted to "fool" the FBI so that he could "write a book".

US Justice Department officials have said Mr Faris met al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden at a training camp in Afghanistan several years ago.

Mr Faris last year examined the Brooklyn Bridge to determine whether it could be destroyed, they said.

According to prosecutors, he had also provided sleeping bags, cellular phones and cash for members of al-Qaeda.

He entered the United States in 1994.

Speaking for the prosecution, US Attorney Paul McNulty said the case was "a significant accomplishment in our mission to prevent another terrorist strike in the United States".

"Severe punishment awaits those who assist terrorists."

On a trip to inspect the bridge in late 2002, Faris apparently decided that the plot would be unlikely to succeed.

The Justice Department statement says he sent a coded message to al-Qaeda leaders early this year: "The weather is too hot".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3222595.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

He has plenty of time to "write a book" now, miserable POS.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

20 yrs???

If it were up to me he would be linched in Lower Manhatten and they should broadcast it.

Comment

So why was he sentenced and the KKK still exists?
        I thought in "the land of the free" you didn't give a shit about thought crime. :dontcare

If it were up to me he would be linched in Lower Manhatten and they should broadcast it.
        :ermm

Comment

20 years!!!! Why not death, this man is a traitor

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
            So why was he sentenced and the KKK still exists?
            Because being racist isn't a crime. Individuals within the KKK, that commit crimes, are subject to the same laws as everyone else.

Originally posted by s_qwert63
            I thought in "the land of the free" you didn't give a shit about thought crime. :dontcare
            He did more than think about it. :roll
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
            X