Mangal Panday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangal Panday

Yesterday I watched the latest blockbuster from Bollywood called Mangal Panday.
    Great performance by Amir Khan.

The movie is about the very first united struggle of hindus and muslims to gain independence from Great Britain, the 1856 Sepoy Munity.

Much have been written about Gandhi, Nehru, Patel and Jinnah but we have been neglecting the very first national hero, Mangal Panday who became the first freedom fighter in Hindustan and initiated the struggle for independance.

I think the guy diserves to be remebered, so I'm opening this thread.

1856, the Sepoy Munity.
    Muslims call it Jang-e-Azadi e awal.
    Sorry, I forgot the hindi name for it

To be honest, I haven't read much about the topic, so I'm hoping to get a lot of responses from you guys :)

Well I can start you off by informing you that the Pakistani government doesn't view it as an important event and there are no great celebrations there. I read an article on this quite recently somewhere.
    "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
      Well I can start you off by informing you that the Pakistani government doesn't view it as an important event and there are no great celebrations there. I read an article on this quite recently somewhere.
      Don't fully agree here.
      I remembered and recognised a lot from the story from history lessons I took in Secondary school in Karachi.

But, 1940-1947 is given more importance, thats a fact!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
        Don't fully agree here.
        I remembered and recognised a lot from the story from history lessons I took in Secondary school in Karachi.
        You didn't get my point. I didn't say it wasn't part of the history books. Thats all it is, consigned to history books. Not given the due it should be.
        "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

About the movie...

mangal mangal mangal mangal mangal ho!

Music was convincing, liked the cinematography..hated the one that did the role of prostitute but concede I liked the way she tackled Amirs question about selling ones body! Makes one think for sometime.

Whenever I hear the sound of counchshell being blown...I get goose pimples.For me that signals the end of all that is bad and the beginning of all that is good.

Tantiya Tope and Rani were AWESOME!!!!
          The background score when Tantiya announces that the time to fight has come...I'm impressed.

However, history is TOTALLY different from the film.

Comment

I think there is more to it than being a hero!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Very important thing from the movie....Hindus and Muslims were BROTHERS. celebrated each others festivals, respected each others rules. Only reason things are like they are now is the British, but the common Indian or Pakistani still doesnt understand that .

Also the mutiny would have succedded if the British did not find out prior, and if the Punjabi Regiments turned, The punjabis pretty much owned the sepoys and killed the mutiny. But thats how the whole idea of freedom started. People didnt care before then

Comment

Neo,

They still are!

Why Hindus?

Indians and Pakistanis are brothers!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I did not get the movie importance, the guy died early in the mtiny and that was the end of him.

He made the war seem like India's first war of independence and it was not, it was rather unorganized and had no central leader, dont count nana ji as the main dude and it disipated as quickly as it began.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                    You didn't get my point. I didn't say it wasn't part of the history books. Thats all it is, consigned to history books. Not given the due it should be.
                    Thats why I didn't FULLY agree there ;)
                    I know, this chapter has never been given too much importance in Pakistan.
                    The event was shortlived and hardly prapared, but had significant effect on the future of 'The Company' in India.

It would take 90 long years for India to become independant.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                      Thats why I didn't FULLY agree there ;)
                      I know, this chapter has never been given too much importance in Pakistan.
                      The event was shortlived and hardly prapared, but had significant effect on the future of 'The Company' in India.

It would take 90 long years for India to become independant.
                      Fair Enough Assessment. :)

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        Why Hindus?
                        Sorry Sir,
                        I don't understand your question. What are you referring to?

Indians and Pakistanis are brothers!
                        And we're inseperable! Even if we want to deny, our history, racial and cultural ties would prove different.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                          About the movie...

mangal mangal mangal mangal mangal ho!
                          You're not actually going to sing for us, are you? ;)

Music was convincing, liked the cinematography..hated the one that did the role of prostitute but concede I liked the way she tackled Amirs question about selling ones body! Makes one think for sometime.
                          Yeah, music was brilliant!

Whenever I hear the sound of counchshell being blown...I get goose pimples.For me that signals the end of all that is bad and the beginning of all that is good.
                          I've goose pimples coz it so f*kin cold here today

Tantiya Tope and Rani were AWESOME!!!!
                          The background score when Tantiya announces that the time to fight has come...I'm impressed.
                          I loved the last scene, even I became very emotional watching Mangal being hanged, he's last words kept going through my mind.

Hamlawar!!!

However, history is TOTALLY different from the film.
                          Please eleborate
                          Last edited by Neo; 23 Oct 05,, 20:06.

Comment

I loved Rani the most, she is so amazing, she looks different in every movie she does, she is so damn hot, much better than kajol that fat actress.

The movie was not bad although i would not call the 1857 mutinuy India's war of independence.

Comment

Please eleborate
                              One man shooting against a whole regiment ?
                              And claiming he would bite the cow fat a thousand times for the sake of liberation...too many goof-ups.

I would say the 1857 is the story of people who wanted to get rid of the British but had no clue as to what they should be doing after the British left.It would take a few more decades....for them to realize that they are one nation.

They taught me in history classes that the Madras and Sikh regiments remained loyal to the British throughout the turbulent years.

You're not actually going to sing for us, are you?
                              Yeah,I was singing the song when I wrote the post.

The story of many a people in India have been immortalised by dramas and folk songs."Mangal mangal" is one such song.

I'm glad that they included the folk songs in the movie.

Infact the British historians could trace out the identity of 'Sandrakottos' in the Greek books only from a Indian folk drama.Sandrakottos was none other than Chandra Gupta.

Had they not seen Mudrarakshasha, Chandra Gupta and Megasthenes would have remained unknown to us.
                              Last edited by Samudra; 24 Oct 05,, 04:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X