PDA

View Full Version : China is our real friend, says Nepal's army chief

oneman28
22 Oct 05,, 07:37
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1271278.cms

[ Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:48:46 amPTI ]
BEIJING: Nepalese Chief of Staff, Pyar Jung Thapa on Friday said China is the Himalayan Kingdom's 'real friend' who respected the country's sovereignty and did not meddle in its internal affairs.

Thapa said this when he called on senior Chinese Communist Party leader, Jia Qinglin here on Friday.

He said China, as "real friend of Nepal, respects the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Nepal and never interferes in the country's internal affairs," the Xinhua news agency reported.

Jia, on his part assured Thapa that China will further promote bilateral ties with Nepal, including on the military front.

Jia, also Chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, the top advisory body of the nation, said China appreciates the support from Nepal on issues of Taiwan, Tibet and human rights.

indianguy4u
22 Oct 05,, 08:01
Good job at sucking china's a$$e$ for few toys :biggrin:.

It wont take much for commies to make nepal a surrogate province of dragonland.

oneman28
22 Oct 05,, 08:22
http://english.people.com.cn/200510/21/eng20051021_215888.html

One more, haha

Chinese Defense Minister Cao Gangchuan said Friday in Beijing that China will promote military cooperation with Nepal.

In a meeting with Pyar Jung Thapa, chief of staff of the Nepalese armed forces, Cao said that since the two countries forged diplomatic ties 50 years ago, bilateral relations have witnessed smooth progress on the basis of the Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence.

The two countries trust each other politically, cooperate economically and support each other in major international affairs, said Cao, who is also vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission and state councilor.

Cao hoped the two countries and militaries expand visits and exchanges in the future.

Thapa affirmed the strengthened military cooperation between Nepal and China, hoping the neighborly partnership between the two countries can move forward.

Also on Friday, Liang Guanglie, chief of the General Staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army, held talks with Thapa.

Liang said that friendly relations between China and Nepal further the interests of the two peoples, as do peace, stability and development in the region.

Liang urged the two countries to make joint efforts to maintain the momentum of exchanges.

Source: Xinhua

Ray
22 Oct 05,, 09:02
Good for the Nepal's Army Chief.

He knows his oinions and diplomacy.

He would not have been the Chief otherwise.

I wonder who the Maoists are, who are challenging the King and killing good old Thapa's soldiers!

Thapa is very loyal to his soldiers, I must say!

That is leadership! :tongue:

lwarmonger
22 Oct 05,, 09:06
Ironic that the Chinese would support the Nepalese government as it fights a Maoist insurgency... especially as the Monarchy does not seem particularly stable at the moment.

Ray
22 Oct 05,, 09:09
Let a 1000 flowers bloom - Mao ;)

Srirangan
22 Oct 05,, 10:50
Real friends, All weather friends, Best freinds, Friends forever

:p Chinese are having it too easy duping the South Asian states

Vaman
22 Oct 05,, 19:35
Isnt it wierd that only dictatorships, fiefdoms, commuists and assorted islamic radical states seem to tom-tom its friendship with China?
NKorea, Pakistan, Burma - all ruled by distators or military junta. Rest like Bangladesh is ruled by right wing islamists.
Well.. best of luck to China. It can have all of these jokers.

TopHatter
22 Oct 05,, 19:38
Ever done tried to conduct business transactions with companies in the PRC?
It's always good for a bitter laugh or 3 :redface:

Vaman
22 Oct 05,, 20:11
Well PRC and the african states are two regions I've never dealt with.
What was the experience with PRC like?

TopHatter
22 Oct 05,, 20:12
Well PRC and the african states are two regions I've never dealt with.
What was the experience with PRC like?

Ha! I deal in electronic parts wholesale. When dealing with PRC companies, expect them to rob you blind. Ship you junk parts and then plead ignorance to said junk when it arrives. Thank god for Escrow :biggrin:

InnocentMonster
22 Oct 05,, 21:37
2 words :
who cares

SuperFlanker
22 Oct 05,, 22:25
Whatever, i would much rather see India allied with countries liek South Korea, Taiwan and Japan instead of backwards countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, and Burma.

indianguy4u
23 Oct 05,, 04:14
Whatever, i would much rather see India allied with countries liek South Korea, Taiwan and Japan instead of backwards countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, and Burma.
U cannot change geography. If u fail to deal with ur neighours than other[ur adversary] will prop them against u. So India cannot overlook its immediate neighourhood. Making friendship with taiwan, japan, & south korea is concerned, we have good with 2 of them [mainly eco, should be expanded to def].

oneman28
23 Oct 05,, 05:44
2 words :
who cares

Many care. Don't see the posts?

oneman28
23 Oct 05,, 05:47

Why not go ahead?
At least todays's S Korea needs China.
Taiwan? get your hands off.
Japan, Go ahead and welcomed by China.

InnocentMonster
23 Oct 05,, 06:04
Many care. Don't see the posts?

I rephrase :

4 words - who cares abt Nepal ?

SuperFlanker
23 Oct 05,, 07:28
Taiwan: China will not get it anytime soon. I highly doubt China wants to get into a conflict with the US(the US Navy is by far the most powerful navy on Earth and its air wing is more powerful than most of the world's airforces, including the PLAAF).

I wish India would do what China is doing and make stronger alliances with countries like Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan. China is using its power to position Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal agaisnt India and India should do the same. India would have a hugh advantage if it did this, since Taiwan and Japan have powerful militaries and hte Vietnamese are right on China's border(and no one has ever been able to defeat the Vietnamese).

oneman28
23 Oct 05,, 07:55
Taiwan: China will not get it anytime soon. I highly doubt China wants to get into a conflict with the US(the US Navy is by far the most powerful navy on Earth and its air wing is more powerful than most of the world's airforces, including the PLAAF).

I wish India would do what China is doing and make stronger alliances with countries like Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan. China is using its power to position Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal agaisnt India and India should do the same. India would have a hugh advantage if it did this, since Taiwan and Japan have powerful militaries and hte Vietnamese are right on China's border(and no one has ever been able to defeat the Vietnamese).

Alliance means both sides should have the same wish.

Vaman
23 Oct 05,, 08:04
I rephrase :

4 words - who cares abt Nepal ?

Actually I do.
Its a beautiful country, the people are nice, friendly and hardworking. They are least likely to give into a fundamental mindset. Infact they are more like us than other "S.Asians" we choose to waste time bickering with. Personally I feel we should have spent more time with countries like Nepal than with Pakistan.

667medic
23 Oct 05,, 09:49
We do need to care. No point pretending that we don't care. Mainly because of the so called China card. Our neighbours are under the pretension that China will come to their rescue to protect them from the "hegemon" India. Pak is a very good example.
As for developing relationship with China's neighbours, unless we improve our economic situation, it is of no use....
Taiwan- USA will protect it
S.Korea- China controlls N.Korea so S.K needs to wag its tail
Vietnam- Needs plenty of $$$$
Japan- Racist bastards, who will never look at Indians as their equals

Develop our economy, then the far-east and ASEAN countries will rally behind us. Though the economy of these countries depend on China, they are definitely intimidated by her....

Vaman
23 Oct 05,, 13:36
We do need to care. No point pretending that we don't care. Mainly because of the so called China card.....

Yes, we do need to build better ties with other countries but why should it be only because what other countries are doing?
There are a number of countries in our close vicinity who are similar to us and we would greatly benefit by reducing travel and trade restrictions. I would love to see greater interaction with countries like Bhutan, Nepal, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indoneia and Malaysia.

Nepals current antagonism has nothing inherently to do with India. Remember that its now being ruled by a despot who most likely killed off the entire Nepali royal family to cement his position.

667medic
23 Oct 05,, 14:26
I would love to see greater interaction with countries like Bhutan, Nepal, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indoneia and Malaysia.
Hope you realize that China is making/has made inroads into all these countries.
Srilanka- Building the Colombo Hambanthota Port. If we dredge Adam's Bridge, it
will directly threaten Chinese investment at Colombo. So SL will use the
China card
Bhutan- Talks regarding ceding territory near Chumbi valley
Thailand- Thaksin is a Chinese and has a newfound love for China. visited his
grandparent's grave in Guangdong
Indonesia- Economic recovery depends on exports to China
Malaysia- same as Indonesis, PM Abdulla announced recently that China was
Malaysia's most important friend
Nepal- probably the King supports the "Mao"ist, thus finding an excuse to keep
power

Now before anyone complains that China has every right to develop brotherly relations with any country, I am not envious/complaining.
My concern is that all of India's neighbours mis-interpret or try to intimidate India into thinking that it is a strategic relationship and are therefore not flexible during negotations with India...

SuperFlanker
23 Oct 05,, 17:03
I say we annihalate one of our neighbors to teach them to show some respect. j/k

At this point, i think India is better off siding with the US and countries which are aligned with the US.

Monk
23 Oct 05,, 17:19
I say we annihalate one of our neighbors to teach them to show some respect. j/k

At this point, i think India is better off siding with the US and countries which are aligned with the US.

What India should do ideally is to concentrate on her Economy. Nothing else. Don't even make a press statement for the next 20 years if you can help it. With the economy in place all else shall follow including the Super power status.