Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan

I was just wondering if anyone thinks it will be allowed for Japan to abandon its military restrictions? With Chinese power growing and I don't even know what is going on with North Korea, Japan may need a better military to protect itself. With Japan's enormous economy and great technology, she could have one heck of a military. What are your thoughts?

Japan has an already impressive air force and more importantly has a very impressive anti submarine warfare asset (the best in Asia and has the best of US equipment) to counter Chinese sub threats. It also has the USAF to protect it and the USN.

When you have the world superpower protecting you, why should you go on a complete revamp?

Comment

Japan is under US umbrella and well equipped itself as Sameer quoted.
      Japan has growing ambitions to become more involved in global issues but needs to change its constitution first as it does no longer allow Japanese soldiers to operate on foreign soil.

Comment

The Japanese have become pacifists since WW2, the Americans have a way at getting to you I guess..., Japan has more important pririties at the moment, it is trying to revamp its economy and the policy framework which governs it, no time for millitary adventures.

What happened to the F-2, me thinks it got cancelled a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer
          The Japanese have become pacifists since WW2, the Americans have a way at getting to you I guess..., Japan has more important pririties at the moment, it is trying to revamp its economy and the policy framework which governs it, no time for millitary adventures.
          True, but Japan is concerned about the huge military buildup in China.
          Rumsfeld's recent visit to China made that clear.
          And there's a rogue neighbour in the region, North Korea which has ballistic missiles with the range to attack any Japanese city.

What happened to the F-2, me thinks it got cancelled a few years back.
          The F-2 was abandoned.
          Japan chose for a F-16 variant with a lot of japanese systems instead.
          There are a great number of modifications, a larger wing being the most visible one.
          They are produced under licence and are probably the most expensive Falcons to have been built sofar.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglo-American
            With Japan's enormous economy and great technology, she could have one heck of a military. What are your thoughts?
            And piss off the US's other allies in the region? South Korea and Taiwan ain't exactly begging for Japanese protection.

Comment

Recent mass protests against the american forces in SKorea seem to suggest the americans arent exactly very welcome guests there either.
              Unfortunately the Koreans dont have much choice in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaman
                Recent mass protests against the american forces in SKorea seem to suggest the americans arent exactly very welcome guests there either.
                Unfortunately the Koreans dont have much choice in the matter.
                They most certainly do. All it would take is a formal request - or demand - from the RoK government, and we'd be outta there.

Once again, the vocal minority can create the impression that they speak for far greater numbers than they can actually command.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                  They most certainly do. All it would take is a formal request - or demand - from the RoK government, and we'd be outta there.

Once again, the vocal minority can create the impression that they speak for far greater numbers than they can actually command.
                  Sir,

Can US afford to leave the region?
                  With growing chinese activities in South China sea and North Korean conflict still unsolved, wouldn't the region become too unstable if US left?

Comment

Working...
                  X