PDA

View Full Version : A question for Canadians

Officer of Engineers
20 Oct 05,, 15:50
We're resuming full combat operations in Afghanistan in Feb-06 with the deployment of a Bde HQ and a Task Force. A second TF would become operational once we're done with the ISAF PRT program. And we're doing this under the operational command of CENTCOM, not the ISAF, meaning the Peacekeeping mandate is chucked out the window. All told, we're sending 2-3000 troops into battle.

So, why isn't this being debated? The CF has done its part by making announcements and news releases. Will Canadians be shocked if we start coming home in body bags? And why would they be shocked?

Blademaster
20 Oct 05,, 17:34
We're resuming full combat operations in Afghanistan in Feb-06 with the deployment of a Bde HQ and a Task Force. A second TF would become operational once we're done with the ISAF PRT program. And we're doing this under the operational command of CENTCOM, not the ISAF, meaning the Peacekeeping mandate is chucked out the window. All told, we're sending 2-3000 troops into battle.

So, why isn't this being debated? The CF has done its part by making announcements and news releases. Will Canadians be shocked if we start coming home in body bags? And why would they be shocked?

The reason why this is not being debated is because your own PM and DM is keeping this under wraps. I suspect they are pulling all the strings to keep this quiet.

AutopilotOFF
23 Oct 05,, 04:28

They may be shocked, but that's because of their own ignorance. Let's just hope our troops fair well and are given whatever government support or kit needed. They deserve nothing less...

Bluesman
23 Oct 05,, 04:45
I am so proud that they've finally started behaving like a western democracy should - like grown-ups - again.

The spectacle of a former great power of the New World slowly sinking into irrelevancy on the world stage has been painful to watch. We've enjoyed such great friendship for so long, it seems that Canada began to take it for granted. Perhaps the US did, too.

But after Canada's dalliance with the ridiculous notion of 'soft power', which of course meant NO power, in any meaningful sense, they've again taken up the responsibilities that every nation should look to, if it wants to be taken seriously.

All good wishes to my Canadian Brothers-in-Arms, and may you succeed in the endeavor that is so important to both of our countries.

Go with courage, arrive with a thunderclap, win your victory, leave with heads high, and return home with honor.

Officer of Engineers
23 Oct 05,, 16:35
My thanks, MSgt, you don't know how much that means to me.

indianguy4u
23 Oct 05,, 18:55
Afganistan was a UN mandated operation, so i guess no need to get paranoid & compare to iraq.

smilingassassin
27 Oct 05,, 07:03
This Canadian would not be shocked if our boys came back in body bags. I'd be sad but incredibly proud of thier sacrifice. I supported Afganistan 100%, still do.
Help our friends and mame our enemy's!