Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american class warships

what are the best american class warships

What are we talking past present future? Carriers, Cruisers?
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

modern. submarines, destroyers, cruisers, battleships or aircraft carriers

Comment

answer

Originally posted by raptor1992
        modern. submarines, destroyers, cruisers, battleships or aircraft carriers
        I would have to say each one of these

Aircraft Carriers -USS George H. W. Bush (CVN-77) is the newest Nimitz carrier, several some upgrades over the Regan and such. Although a new super carrier is on it's way, called the CVNX, no class name as of yet, since the first ship in the class CVN-78 has not been named as of yet. Although the CVN-78 may be smaller then a Nimitz to save cost, although it will still be a super carrier.

Submarines - Well as of right this second the Seawolf is the most advanced US attack/boomer sub out there. But only two have been finished due to the cut in funding, same problem the F-22 ran in to, the cold war ended. Now the navy is looking in a new direction, a cheaper one of course. The SSN-774-803 Virginia-class is a good attack sub, although not nearly as camable as the Seawolf. But it costs half as much, and it is made also to hold navy seals for land assualts, it's a special forces platform as well as a sub.

Destroyers - Arleigh Burke class are the best I believe, i think they beat out the Spruance, because the Arleigh Burke is simi sealth, in which in RCS is about half of what you expect. The DD(X) DESTROYER is in the works as a almost fully sealth replacement, although I doubt it will be fully sealth, due to it's low price tag, only about 2.2 billion.

Battle Ships are no more sadly, USS Iowa class was the last great battle ship.

Crusiers - Ticonderoga's are slowly being faded out, and being replaced by what, I have no idea.

I am in no way a navy man, but I pretty sure I'm 90 % right on most of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
          Raven,
          Your nominees are pretty much right on the money.
          Anything that still has a "modern" version e.g. aircraft carrier etc, then the answer will be "whatever they are currently building".
          If there is no modern equivalent, then the answer will actually have some competition in a few cases.
          Suffice it is say, the best aircraft carrier will be the GHW Bush, because USS Lexington (CV-2) could not hope to compete with it, for obviously reasons.

I think a better question is, what were some of the groundbreaking ship classes?
          What made them so different and unique compared to the previous ship classes?

Probably the most profound example is USS Enterprise (CVN-65) due to her nuclear reactors. Not the first ship to have them, but the first aircraft carrier.
          Finally the big stick of the fleet had it's fuel oil tether cut. Jet fuel remained a need, but she had much more of a capacity for it, as I understand.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I suppose if we are talking ground breaking ships for the U.S. then the U.S.S. South Carolina (1908) would have to be the best battleship. Essentially she was the U.S. version of H.M.S. Dreadnought.
            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Best Carrier; Essex Class

Best BB: Colorado Class

Best Destroyer: Burkes.

Best Cruiser: Tico's
              "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Nimitz Class Carrier- GHWB, Ronald Reagan

Destroyer Burkes Class

BB-South Dakota (BB49) 12/16" class that was cancelled.
                with Iowa's & Montana's very close behind.

Cruiser- Going old here the Alaska class was a good looking fast Cruiser
                for a white elephant her class had alot of potential. I also tend to think the Des Moines class with the auto 9/8" guns had they both seen more action through out their short lives could have been really good examples but it was not to be.
                Now days definately a Ticonderoga Class. Ticonderoga (CG47) I didnt realize till now she's sitting here in Philly's reserve yard along with a few other examples of her class.
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 Oct 05,, 13:31.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

the cvnx, now named cvn-21 (21 for 21st century)
                  The first hull of CVN-21 (formerly CVNX) will be CVN-78. The CVN-21 uses the basic hull design of the Nimitz-class, though that is where the similarities will end.

CVN-21 will incorporate many new design features including a new nuclear reactor design (the A1B reactor), stealthier features to help reduce radar profile, electromagnetic catapults, advanced arresting gear, and reduced crewing requirements. The U.S. Navy believes that with the addition of the most modern equipment and extensive use of automation they will be able to reduce the total cost of future aircraft carriers. If the Navy can reduce the cost of constructing and maintaining an aircraft carrier, they will overcome the biggest complaint received in the U.S. Congress — that of funding.

Wikipedia

Comment

Best Carrier - Nimitz Class
                    Best Battleship - Iowa Class
                    Best Cruiser- Ticonderoga Class
                    Best Destroyer - Aleigh Burke Class
                    Best SSN - Seawolf Class
                    Best SSBN - Ohio Class

Comment

Originally posted by Warhawk
                      Best Carrier - Nimitz Class
                      Best Battleship - Iowa Class
                      Best Cruiser- Ticonderoga Class
                      Best Destroyer - Aleigh Burke Class
                      Best SSN - Seawolf Class
                      Best SSBN - Ohio Class
                      OK good, now tell us why
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
                        You are in no way a military man, either, of ANY service, and you're 100% WRONG to claim that you are.

Do you know how LOW what you're doing is?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                          You are in no way a military man, either, of ANY service, and you're 100% WRONG to claim that you are.

Do you know how LOW what you're doing is?
                          Did I miss a post of his somewhere that he claims to be a serviceman?

Edit: Yup, I sure as hell did. I like how he claims to fly an " F/15 C " when any REAL pilot would have said F-15C. Geez, some aviation enthusiast...

Raven - Do yourself a favor and leave now before more people read your pathetic lies and REALLY dump a load of shyt on you. Bluesman was being REALLY polite on that other thread....don't wait for it to get worse.
                          Last edited by TopHatter; 17 Oct 05,, 19:23.

Comment

If he wants to email me i will verify or refute his identity for him. Some of the posters at my board are stationed at elmensdorf. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                              If he wants to email me i will verify or refute his identity for him. Some of the posters at my board are stationed at elmensdorf. :)
                              He won't. He can't. He's a fraud. Like I said on the other thread, a real F-15 Charlie pilot would have been able to refute our accusations with just a few sentences. Besides, ever notice that these frauds always claim to be either fighter pilots (always a fighter pilot, never a trash hauler) or they claim to be a SpecOps type?
                              Remember that idiot I tangled with that claimed to be a Tomcat driver? Same thing...almost the same exact way of saying his claim, same words, everything.
                              I think these phonies all get bred in the same sewer...

This yahoo knows that his "story" couldnt stand 2 seconds of scrutiny from your lads at Elmendorf AFB.

Comment

Working...
                              X